And more junk.

I just patched a crack in a plastic tan with JB Weld. Used a small screwdriver to open the crack a bit and put a patch over it. Let it set all day and overnight. Was holding yet yesterday afternoon but I don't expect it to last forever.

That’s the same stuff that was included in the felt gasket kit I ordered to repair our clothes dryer awhile back. It was very tacky.
It "flows in" very well too, Jim.
I just patched a crack in a plastic tan with JB Weld. Used a small screwdriver to open the crack a bit and put a patch over it. Let it set all day and overnight. Was holding yet yesterday afternoon but I don't expect it to last forever.
I would think that JB Weld worked good too, Roger. There was a bunch of small cracks in this situation.

It was back in the late 70's when I found out about Seal All. It was a go to repair for leaks to big on racecar radiators for holes too big for real Silver Seal to fix. The feds killed Silver Seal due to it's low temp melt lead alloy that was in it. Now it is a type of aluminum powder. Anyway if we got a hole in a radiator during a heat race, we would goop some of this stuff on a piece of cloth wadded about the size needed to plug the hole and shove it in with a tool from toothpick size to 1/4" holes. By main event time, it was cured well enough to hold the 18-25 psi radiator pressure.

Gave it another coat of Seal All this morning. Mid afternoon I tipped the tank to a position where the gas I couldn't get drained out of it was right on the repair. It held for over a half hour so I went ahead and put the tractor back together. This stuff is clear so I should still be able to look at the repaired area to see the fuel level in the tank, if it holds.

DSCN5191.JPG DSCN5192.JPG

While I had the fender pan off I removed that reverse engine kill switch. I have to back up way too much mowing to put up with that nonsense.
DSCN5193.JPG

I still left the seat safety switch operational.

DAC

According to Tractor Data, it is 5 gallons, Jim. I had forgotten about that annoying switch from when I did a little mowing with this tractor back last September when i got it running. Soon as it killed the first time Wednesday, I went back to the shop and unplugged the dang thing. It is gone now!

DAC

Did a lot of cleanup around here today, and stuffed the dumpster full as I could get it and still shut the lid.

Put some junk on the wall in the shop that had been in a box out in a shed for quite a while.
DSCN5195.JPG

I'm not getting much done for being retired ---LOL!

DAC

I like the oil cans Doug I have a few. Even though I’ve never been a smoker I like the tobacco tins too. We have a nostalgic place about a half hour from us. The old guy has been collecting auto memorabilia all his life. It’s built like a little town. He claims to have at least one of every oil can ever made including the 5 gallon cans. He passed away 2 years ago and it’s still there but closed.

It was back in the late 70's when I found out about Seal All. I
It is good stuff but if I remember correctly you don't want to expose it to direct sunlight as UV is bad for it.
The feds killed Silver Seal due to it's low temp melt lead alloy that was in it.
That was the best stuff. After discovering it nothing else was used. And like all good things it was taken off the market. :mad: I did find someone selling the old stuff in England and grabbed it but after that's gone I don't know what I'll do.

That seal all glue is great stuff. My father allways had a tube of it in the garage back in early seventy’s. I’ve fixed carburetor floats with it. And oil leaks. Had a Briggs engine that the oil was seeping through the block. Fixed it up great. No more leak. I allways put a few coats on. Great fix on the tank Doug.

Was wondering about Mowing Monday story times Doug.

I for some reason missed all these posts since April 21 or so.

Nice sticker on the vacuum.

Noel

I like the oil cans Doug I have a few. Even though I’ve never been a smoker I like the tobacco tins too. We have a nostalgic place about a half hour from us. The old guy has been collecting auto memorabilia all his life. It’s built like a little town. He claims to have at least one of every oil can ever made including the 5 gallon cans. He passed away 2 years ago and it’s still there but closed.
Thanks Jim. I have some tobacco tins here too. Just need to get them all together some time. 3 Velvets, all different and big round Half and Half.
Sounds like the old gent you knew had a real nice museum quality place. It's too bad it's not open anymore.
DSCN5196.JPG DSCN5197.JPG

It is good stuff but if I remember correctly you don't want to expose it to direct sunlight as UV is bad for it.

That was the best stuff. After discovering it nothing else was used. And like all good things it was taken off the market. :mad: I did find someone selling the old stuff in England and grabbed it but after that's gone I don't know what I'll do.
Come to think of it, Chris, I never used Seal All anywhere that direct sunlight can be on it before. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I should make a cover over the gas gauge before the sun kills the repair.

The stuff that is available nowadays is called Aluma-Seal. Doesn't work near as good as Silver Seal did. Looks similar is all.

That seal all glue is great stuff. My father allways had a tube of it in the garage back in early seventy’s. I’ve fixed carburetor floats with it. And oil leaks. Had a Briggs engine that the oil was seeping through the block. Fixed it up great. No more leak. I allways put a few coats on. Great fix on the tank Doug.

Was wondering about Mowing Monday story times Doug.

I for some reason missed all these posts since April 21 or so.

Nice sticker on the vacuum.

Noel
I appreciate your comments when you have time Noel! I did mowing Wednesday last week. Just don't have the same ring to it, does it---LOL! I put a brief report on the "What did you do with your tractor" thread.

DAC

Didn't take any pictures yet, but tomorrow I will be making the first attempt at using my little sandblaster. Problem is that it isn't "normal" sandblasting. Going to try to blast a couple of granite headstones. I'm using 50 lbs of expensive silicon carbide sand so I want to contain it, vacuum it up and put it back into the blaster tank. I converted about a 6'x6' area in one of my sheds into a temporary booth. Got a hood, gloves coveralls and going to wear a respirator. I masked them with sandblast stencil a couple months ago and laid them face down to let the weight of the granite pressure the stencil to the granite surface better. Weather is finally decent enough to give it a try. My air supply will be what slows the progress but it's a better compressor than I used to use at least.

DAC

Didn't take any pictures yet, but tomorrow I will be making the first attempt at using my little sandblaster. Problem is that it isn't "normal" sandblasting. Going to try to blast a couple of granite headstones. I'm using 50 lbs of expensive silicon carbide sand so I want to contain it, vacuum it up and put it back into the blaster tank. I converted about a 6'x6' area in one of my sheds into a temporary booth. Got a hood, gloves coveralls and going to wear a respirator. I masked them with sandblast stencil a couple months ago and laid them face down to let the weight of the granite pressure the stencil to the granite surface better. Weather is finally decent enough to give it a try. My air supply will be what slows the progress but it's a better compressor than I used to use at least.

DAC
Looking forward to seeing this Doug. I’ve done something similar blasting wood using the masking. It was fun. Doing something in stone like that you’ll have a lot more artillery coming back at you.

Looking forward to seeing this Doug. I’ve done something similar blasting wood using the masking. It was fun. Doing something in stone like that you’ll have a lot more artillery coming back at you.
I did a lot of sandblasted redwood signs when I had my sign shop, Jim. Never tried granite before. Some of them I took to a local monument store and just had them do the blasting. They quit blasting for outside customers. Hope I am suited up enough for the artillery, Jim.

Something you aren't telling us?
My wife's great-grandparents stones are almost non readable now. Trying to make them some new ones and remove the old ones. I think this will be the first and last headstones I make if these turn out ok, Rick.

DAC

I did a lot of sandblasted redwood signs when I had my sign shop, Jim. Never tried granite before. Some of them I took to a local monument store and just had them do the blasting. They quit blasting for outside customers. Hope I am suited up enough for the artillery, Jim.

My wife's great-grandparents stones are almost non readable now. Trying to make them some new ones and remove the old ones. I think this will be the first and last headstones I make if these turn out ok, Rick.

DAC
Ok. you had me wondering.:):)

When I'm sandblasting I wear a heavy hooded sweater over the sand blasting hood. Pull the draw strings tight and it really helps keep the sand from getting under the hood.
I sure wanted to wear a hooded sweatshirt, but it was just too hot in that shed, Chris. Didn't really get much in the hood, but down the back of my neck was another story. I blasted from 10am to 3. Almost got Loree's great grandpa's done but it just got too hot. The gun is broken on my old sandblaster. It won't shut off. Was fighting that almost the whole time. There is a rubber hose inside of it that is old and cracking, so I'm going to go to HF and get a new one and nozzles that fit it if they are different than the ones I have. I wore one clear out just getting this far. Still have to blast that bottom line of copy. Getting about 3/16" deep. Hope that's deep enough. That silicon carbide sand creates enough friction in the ceramic nozzle that is glows the inside of it and shoots a beam of light at what I'm working on! I like that!

DSCN5199.JPG

After blasting most of it. Still have to do that bottom line.
DSCN5200.JPG

Kind of cramped and dirty in there.
DSCN5201.JPG

We will be out of town tomorrow afternoon and Saturday so will have to hit this project again after that. We will probably swing by HF tomorrow on our way out of town.

DAC

Looks great Doug. Is this just going to be placed on the stone. Or replace the stone.

Noel
It will replace the old markers---last I knew, Noel. Loree's 82 year old uncle is going to handle the actual installation---but I'm going to try to help. He doesn't like being helped though.

These are the old headstones. the picture is from last year. The cemetery is about 130 miles NE of here.
DSCN4502.JPG

DAC

Back