Hill Top adventures

Such a delightful job awaits me next week. Between the rain showers Friday I opened up a roof that had serious issues. An old flat roof where I found multiple layers of various roofing materials. And no sloping, flat flat. Opening that up I found another roof system down a foot. With more layers of roofing. And it all leaks and rotting away. Makes me wonder how someone thought such shoddy work was going to last.
0803181030.jpg
And evidence that something was nesting in there to.

Had to go back to the old place to find a thread from way back. Such a pain when the search feature no longer works. But anyway, I found where I wrote about this house. We first worked there May 2017. It isn't high on the list of priorities for the owner since this is the first time back in 8 month.

Great day today. Wrapped up our work at the sh*%hole house today. On to new construction again. And the neighbor came over to chat while we were on break. He wants to buy the place to add yard to his house. We might not have to go back and finish. That would be great. And I got a reply to email about a tractor! Might be adding another tractor. Good chance it would be parts for my S-16 that is sitting in the corner. Then JR can claim the Gravely as his like he wants.

Last night we got another half inch of rain from a fast moving thunderstorm. The yard is starting to resemble a hay field growing so fast. Showed Jr the ad for the tractor I am trying to get last night. He is super excited and ready to go get it. He is sure that a few things like the bar tread tires would look good on "his" Gravely. The guy is supposed to dig the mower and blower out of storage this weekend for pictures. Hopefully they are in good shape, but worn enough to be in my price range.

Last night JR was telling me how we need to rearrange the shed to make room for another tractor and room to work on it. Scary thing is, his thoughts parallels mine on how to do it. And he doesn't have the decades of experience to guide him like I do.

Tried to rearrange the shed tonight.
0713182051.jpg
Moved an old rider and various odds n ends to the basement. Hot n sticky, shouldn't have to sweat that much at home. We were trying to clear a work area on the top floor. JR says "look b I am way over here and I didn't climb over anything to get here. Got rid of hoarders look.Got a couple push mowers for JR to dissect before they head to the junk yard and he needs a spot to work. Figure that is a good way to learn the the internals of an engine. Yard resembles a hay field yet, growing so fast with all the rain. Neighbor was mowing tonight and I could hear the engine pulling down and working hard. At least my yard isn't the only one behind in getting cut.

Yesterday started way too early for a Saturday. Left at 5:30 to head over to my brother's farm for the day. 2 hour drive made it a late breakfast when we got there. Most of my family was there for the day and some camped on the farm Fri night. I told the nephews how when dropping a ball from a higher spot spinning it different direction should curve it. And a silo might be high enough to do it.
0811181008.jpg
125' up, challenge accepted.
His farm is tucked into a nice valley with what feels like a decent sized mountain all around.
0811181616.jpg
And I did help in the barn some.
0811181610.jpg
Got back home around 11 last night, tired.

Plans are to go get a tractor this week. The guy said some roads are closed in his area for flooding. Hoping they open again before I get on the road. And the grass is growing way too fast for August. Feels like I can't keep up with the mowing.

Last evening was spent trying to make the yard look presentable again. Way behind on mowing, JR thought it looks as bad after as before with all the clumps and thick matted clippings. I think he is hoping to borrow the neighbors lawn sweeper to rake it up.
And,
OOPS
I was telling JR what the plans are for going to go get a parts tractor Thursday evening. He was all excited and jacked up about this.
Then MOMMA says,
"But that is our anniversary"
Oh crap!
We have a huge problem:eek:
And I don't even have a dog house to crawl into.....
I had better try to change those plans to Friday if possible.

Didn't try the "Let's go on a family outing for our anniversary, darling." Approach?

From a guy with 22 years in... Next time that happens, respond with "No, that's Thursday"... Then let the calendar prove you wrong and you can feign the dummy who was one day off....
2 things with this.
You didn't forget.
It being a day earlier, somehow makes you less of an arse than it being a day later.

Don't over use it. It's a one or two time use idea.
Best bet is to never forget again, but we men can get absent minded and need some help. Good luck.

I just flat out ask my wife every October first when out anniversary is. And honestly, right now I don't remember other than its in October

Just trying to remember everyone's schedule daily is hard enough let alone a date that falls once a year.

I just flat out ask my wife every October first when out anniversary is. And honestly, right now I don't remember other than its in October

Just trying to remember everyone's schedule daily is hard enough let alone a date that falls once a year.
I have two words for you. Tattoo parlor
If it's that hard, get the important days tattooed on your chest. Wife's birthday, kids birthdays, anniversary, Etc.

Poke LOL

Well now, the tractor buying expedition has fallen apart. So momma gets her night out tonight to celebrate the anniversary of 15 years. Taking the family camping this weekend as part of the whole thing.

Back