Hill Top adventures

So 2023 came to a lousy end for me. Just before Thanksgiving I had an accident at work that left me with 5 broken ribs and a cut liver. When the ribs snapped, they went in and cut the liver in 2 places. I was able to keep from passing out and was able to tell the EMS crew what I thought was wrong. They got me floating on some really good pain killers and I only noticed the worst of the bumps on the road. The first week there was trouble with getting the liver to stop leaking. Then once that stopped, I started getting fluid around my lung. Then that had to be drained off. I was in the hospital for about two and a half weeks till I finally got to go home. But then my 1 week checkup showed that I was filling up with fluid again. And I was having a harder time of breathing with the fluid squeezing my lungs smaller. So it was back into the hospital for another painful drain to be done. That took another 4 days to drain off. Giving a total of 3 weeks in the hospital. I don't think of the rib breaks that much, the pain from the internal injuries was much worse. They had to patch my liver and then check for bleeding and tears all through my abdomen. Last week a scan showed that the pocket of fluid is growing again and I can feel that discomfort in my lung again. I am hoping that I don't have to go back in to the hospital again. There is a slight chance that my body could absorb the fluid again. I get another scan this coming week to check on it again. Spending most of my days on the recliner is starting to mess with my mind. Mind says let's go do something, body says yeah right not yet. The pain levels are getting somewhat better, but it is still rough. The surgeon told my wife that it isn't often he sees injuries this bad that the guy hasn't passed out. He told her I definitely toughed it out. I will have one more surgery in the beginning of February and I really hope I can get back to life soon after.

Wow Shorty that could have been fatal. It sounds like you fell. I have a high pain toleration too and that can work against you some time not realizing how serious your injury can be. Praying all goes well and your scan next week shows some good news. Take it easy and listen to your body. Keep us updated.

Wow. I was just thinking about how I haven't seen ya on the forums in quite a while...
Happened at work you said? What were you doing? Did you fall? I was on a catwalk 3 stories up about a dozen years ago and they had a service panel out to get to the top of a machine on the 2nd level, I was walking near it and someone called me from behind, I turned my head and the next step, my foot fell into the hole and I caught myself somehow from going all the way thru by the rib cage. That was 3 broken ribs on the left side.

It can happen fast at any time. 2 years ago I was walking from the shop to the house. Had just run a Gt out for a guy to pick up later. Weat ground, stepped for the sidewalk, just caught the edge and foot slipped off the concrete. Stepped quick to catch myself and did the same thing with the other foot. Landed on the sidewalk with my right arm under me. Didn't knock my glasses or cap off. First thought was how did I get down here so darn fast. 2 hours later after I sneezed, was in ER with 1 broken rib, several bruised ribs, broken bone in the hand that was under me.

Holy cow Shorty that sounds nasty. Hope you’re able to get comfortable. Thankfully the recliner is one place I’m able to. The best advice I can give you for wanting to be doing things is find something to distract you. Reading, researching things on the internet that you like, like this site and so forth. It’s what’s kept me going for the last year.
Get well soon.

Wow Shorty that could have been fatal. It sounds like you fell. I have a high pain toleration too and that can work against you some time not realizing how serious your injury can be. Praying all goes well and your scan next week shows some good news. Take it easy and listen to your body. Keep us updated.
I am very fortunate to be here. One doctor told me he can't understand why I didn't bleed out before the ambulance got to me. All I knew was it hurt so bad deep inside. They said it was a 4" and a 8" cut to my liver. Boss man got his wife to pick up my wife to go in to the hospital. And they stayed there until I was out of surgery.

Wow. Glad you are still kicking. Behave until told otherwise.
My wife tries, but I think she is giving up. I shoveled some snow today on the walks around the house. Sure didn't take long to get this poor guy a hurting. Wife thought I was spreading icemelt while my son shoveled. I just had to try, just a little. A friend said it's like my wife has another toddler to keep under control.

Got good news today. The level of fluid around my lung has dropped to the point that they no longer have to watch it. There is still some discomfort there when I get to breathing heavier. It will be a couple more weeks yet to go back to work.

Got good news today. The level of fluid around my lung has dropped to the point that they no longer have to watch it. There is still some discomfort there when I get to breathing heavier. It will be a couple more weeks yet to go back to work.
That is good news you know we all don’t like a bad leak and having one like you have was critical. Thankful it’s healing good and don’t over do it you’re still probably a little fragile.

Back