Hill Top adventures

It was almost every in that store. Weird, quiet, odd how there was a run on certain things. Prepackaged ground beef cleaned out, flour, but plenty of milk. Very few employees on the floor for a Fri evening.
I noticed that last weekend here. Saturday we even hit 2 meat lockers that slaughter and process on-site, and THEY were out of ground beef... and neither has ever been out of that when I have been there. By Wed., I was able to stop by my "usual" meat locker and got 8-1lb packages of ground beef "no problem"-- my wife gave 3 of those, to Mother in law.....

Saturday evening I went out to a farm that has an ice cream shop. And they were about sold out. They started online sales and home delivery to offset the declining sales. So much a success that it cleaned them out. Super quiet weekend, our church livestreamed the service and me n JR went for a walk down the road a ways. Good to have some one on one time with him to just chat.

Yesterday was dreary and hard to stay motivated. Got a bunch of painting done. Today is sunny, so hoping to spend the afternoon outside. Going to get JR to run the cultivator through the garden to break it up some. Its plenty wet, but he needs to get outside again. Supposed to be doing school work online, but the system keeps crashing...

JR had his 2nd set of calves picked up today. The farmer thought they looked very good. Probably won't refill anytime soon because the barn they go to next is filled now. He has a trap out in the field trying to get a groundhogs. Caught a stray cat instead. He was quite irritated at being stuck instead of roaming the hood. He hightailed it out of there when I released him. Been a long time since I saw a cat in a flat out run like that.

And Murphy strikes again. After the hardware store closed for the weekend of course. A water line fitting broke in the kitchen ceiling. Thankfully I was in the house and heard the gush of water start. Hacked out drywall to find the break and of course it is the main line running to the upstairs. Our neighbor had a plug to cap it off So we can have running water again.
0404202048.jpg

We ran the disc through the garden today. I stacked some old elevator weights on the Sears disc, might have worked harder than was designed for. Front end was getting light and steering a bit winky but we had fun and got a seedbed ready. Was surprised how dry it was. Quite a bit of rain lately, but the wind of the last couple days dried it out. Ran out to the local Agway to get some seed. Guess what, the store was closed! I assumed since they do some ag and home garden sales they would be open. Phone sales only and then pickup from the dock. Bummer, no browsing up and down the aisle to decide what all to plant. From the parking lot, i called in to the store and got some seed. So now my peas are in. Maybe next weekend get the tators in.

Got out and worked this week. Dried in a building we had started before the shutdown. Supposedly weather proofing a building is allowed. Saw one state trooper go past on patrol, but he never stopped to check on us. Then we got some work on an old barn. Which all ag work is allowed. Thing of it is, with a small crew, I get less social contact at work than if I stay home. Because if I am home there is always something to go get at the store.

Eating good this weekend. The one barn we worked at was for a farm to table producer. We got roasts, steaks, burgers, jerky, and snack sticks. All Angus beef for tenderness. I didn't hear prices, but I know it is worth much more than the stuff at the grocery store. And Mon I get to help at a pizza shop, usually lunch is provided, like a pie for each guy.

Interesting work today. Out back in a wood lot was an abandoned house. And kids were hanging out there which the owners didn't want. One end of the house had collapsed and floors looked ready to fall. Too much liability he said. Now it's a pile of rubble
.0422200718.jpg
0422200936a.jpg

And the rubble sorting machine for tomorrow.
0422201355.jpg
It drives really really slow to go from one job to another....

House looks to be pretty old. Probably had good bones when it was built.

jhn9840
John

The stone work wasn't done the best which contributed to the wall failure. The lumber was surprisingly good. We managed to salvage a few beams for the owner. He is thinking a nice mantle for his fireplace. Wildly guessing mid 1800's for age. Couldn't find a datestone.

This week's work was a bunch of odds n ends again. Quietly going here n there. Spent 2 days building some decks which was a nice change.
0501201507a.jpg
JR is supposed to be doing his school work at home so evenings are spent trying to jam some sort of knowledge into his brain. But there are so many better things to be done at home than school work, so it's a challenge to get anything accomplished. Yesterday and today he helped load hogs for market. Starting work at 4:30 is tough for a young teen.

Today was a wood splitting day. JR had a friend over and we split and stacked and stacked. About 3 1/2 cord total with most of it stacked to dry. Rented a nice heavy duty splitter which was nice for the locust and black walnut. 0502201802.jpg

A guy close by has a catering business which is nothing right now with all events cancelled. So he had the idea of a chicken bbq with a drive thru pickup. It was a huge hit, people waiting in line an hour.
0502201036.jpg
Lady said it took her a half hour to travel the distance you can see there. About an hour and a half after it started, a cop showed up and shut them down. Can't have all that traffic parked on the road. So every one on the road had to leave. But those in the driveway could stay. Sold out with 1500 chicken dinners in about hour n three-quarters. Wife had wanted some, but decided against waiting in line. Lady from church called her and asked if she should pick some up for us. So we got some a real easy way.

A friend of mine has several fair concession stands he puts out. He said he is making a fortune setting up along the road.

He has chicken dinners. Fried veggies. Funnel cakes. Italian sausage. Stands set up. He sells out nearly every day

Back