MF 1450

The problem with these is the rear PTO is 2000 rpms, can be hard to find implements at the speed.
The MF1655/1855 had a rear mount mowing deck, you could also get a rear tiller, JD I believe had a rear tiller at 2000 rpm.
I checked the old manuals & it doesn't say anything about RPM's. I assume they just ran the 3600RPM deck at 2000? Definitely better to go slower than faster.

So far you haven't mentioned any probems that I'm sure you can't handle. You seem to be quite recourseful.
I'm going through the same thing with June Bug and find I'm actually enjoying it.
Thanks Chris, but my biggest concern right now is the condition of the transaxle. The tractor will roll no matter where I put the levers and brake. Not supposed to do that from what I understand. The differential shift shaft spins pretty freely and will unhook from the lever and I don't think that is right. May indicate broken stuff in there. I could probably repair anything, but my wallet may not stretch that far. I will get the engine running and test it at least. Parting it out is still a possibility.

I think it was Late December last time I looked at your "June Bug" build page. Gotta check it again!

DAC

It's a Ross, rebuild parts are available! Probably the pin is worn, may be able to weld it back up.
I didn't get it out of the tractor today, but I'm not sure what pin you mean. The joint on the drag link is tight. The slack is in the input shaft area and behind that plate that acts as the pitman arm. Looks like I may have to take out a hydro cylinder to get at the mounting bolts. The upper steering column plastic bushing is loose as well.
DSCN3003.JPG

DAC

I have a few used steering columns if you get in a bind. 2 are from MF12's and the other I am not certain what tractor it came off.
Thank-you Ted, I may have buggered up the steering wheel threads pulling the wheel off. I may be able to chase them but don't know yet. I'll have to borrow a die from work. Nut doesn't want to go back on but I didn't mess with it long. Bad rust. I'll let you know what I need soon as I know!

DAC

No you can’t convert that old deck Doug because I need a rear PTO shaft like that lol.
Here’s a factory top like, like most things Massey made them different lol. You can make homemade but you either have to make the top block like the one to the left side of the pic or change the half round mount like in your pic. (Yours is bent open a little by the way)
Good info, Jason I appreciate the pic. Can definitely see how that MF made a top link fit on that tight mount! No spherical bearings! I may have to take you up on the offer, but I'm still unsure if the tractor is savable yet. I don't want you to send me the link since a part-out is still possible.

I can send any pics you might need Doug, the good thing about 1450-1855 were all very alike other than size.
Is the transaxle "Tee" shift shaft supposed to rotate? like I've been saying concerns about the condition of the transaxle are bothering me. The lever unhooks from the shaft quite easily, plus the tractor rolls in any gear.

DAC

I did Ted's suggestion and tested the front clutch. Seems to work nice! Locks up tight when power is applied.

Was able to get the steering wheel to start moving with a prybar and hammer but it was still real tight. Was able to use the puller adapter that I had to build for the MF12G after that. Pretty bad rust in there.
DSCN2998.JPG

I have my doubts if this steering wheel can ever get round again.
DSCN3005.JPG

DSCN3004.JPG

Then I took off the remains of the plastic dash to have better access to the steering gear. I bet these plastic parts are impossible to get.
DSCN2999.JPG

DSCN3000.JPG

That's about it for today. Shoveled snow and just this kind of cold wears me out.

DAC

I didn't get it out of the tractor today, but I'm not sure what pin you mean. The joint on the drag link is tight. The slack is in the input shaft area and behind that plate that acts as the pitman arm. Looks like I may have to take out a hydro cylinder to get at the mounting bolts. The upper steering column plastic bushing is loose as well.
View attachment 34134

DAC
See that stud (cam follower) with the nut on it? That is Part #5 on page 10 of the parts manual. Supposed to be cone shaped inside where is meets the worm gear. Those will wear, creating slack in the steering. Should have a flat screwdriver slot on the outside to adjust it. Here's a link to an informative page on these steering gears. (Cub Cadet based, but shows parts for all tractors using the Ross box. Scroll about half way down to find the cam followers)

Your making progress!
I haven't worked on June Bug for awhile as my Granddaughter want to build a dining room table in the shop. Hoping that will be done this week.

Is the transaxle "Tee" shift shaft supposed to rotate? like I've been saying concerns about the condition of the transaxle are bothering me. The lever unhooks from the shaft quite easily, plus the tractor rolls in any gear.

DAC

One possibility is that the tractor sat for so long, the fluid drained out of the pump. If there is no fluid in the pump, there won't be any resistance when pushing the tractor.

Its been a while since I messed with mine, but I believe the high/low pushpin dose turn all the way around if the lever forks are not in the way. I think if it was turned to where it disengaged from one side of the fork, the other side would have it trapped and keep it from spinning all the way around.

One thing you can do to test the hydro would be to pull the engine and put a drill on the drive shaft and spin it. It might be easier to just get the motor running and see what happens.

You probably saved yourself a major headache leaving that wheel horse behind. The rear-end in them do grenade and when that happens it doesn't only take out the rear-end it tears up the hydro pump and motor. Both are a bear to rebuild and get right. It is not a fun project.

I checked the old manuals & it doesn't say anything about RPM's. I assume they just ran the 3600RPM deck at 2000? Definitely better to go slower than faster.
I'm pretty sure the belly deck ran at 2000 also off the motor. That doesn't mean the blades were that, the deck gearing can be changed to run faster.
There was a rear PTO adapter that you could run a 540 attachment, they are like finding hens teeth and about as expensive.

See that stud (cam follower) with the nut on it? That is Part #5 on page 10 of the parts manual. Supposed to be cone shaped inside where is meets the worm gear. Those will wear, creating slack in the steering. Should have a flat screwdriver slot on the outside to adjust it. Here's a link to an informative page on these steering gears. (Cub Cadet based, but shows parts for all tractors using the Ross box. Scroll about half way down to find the cam followers)
Thanks, Kenny! Lots of good info there! Looks like they have the parts too.

DAC

One possibility is that the tractor sat for so long, the fluid drained out of the pump. If there is no fluid in the pump, there won't be any resistance when pushing the tractor.

Its been a while since I messed with mine, but I believe the high/low pushpin dose turn all the way around if the lever forks are not in the way. I think if it was turned to where it disengaged from one side of the fork, the other side would have it trapped and keep it from spinning all the way around.

One thing you can do to test the hydro would be to pull the engine and put a drill on the drive shaft and spin it. It might be easier to just get the motor running and see what happens.

You probably saved yourself a major headache leaving that wheel horse behind. The rear-end in them do grenade and when that happens it doesn't only take out the rear-end it tears up the hydro pump and motor. Both are a bear to rebuild and get right. It is not a fun project.
Thank-you, Cold1! Now I'm feeling a little better about it! The guy I got it from had it for many years and said he never had it running. This shifter will disengage but maybe something is bent to allow that shaft to rotate clear out of the fork.

DAC

Thank-you, Cold1! Now I'm feeling a little better about it! The guy I got it from had it for many years and said he never had it running. This shifter will disengage but maybe something is bent to allow that shaft to rotate clear out of the fork.

DAC

I think one i had, had the shifter bent. Its not a strong rod they used for the shifter rod. I seem to remember that one would not move the pushpin enough to engage high gear. I just bent the shifter to get it to work.

I'm pretty sure the belly deck ran at 2000 also off the motor. That doesn't mean the blades were that, the deck gearing can be changed to run faster.
There was a rear PTO adapter that you could run a 540 attachment, they are like finding hens teeth and about as expensive.
I think the belly mower gearbox was a 1:1 ration and was 3500 rpm. The 540 RPM gearbox attachment couldn’t run any attachments that went on the 3 point as there was no room. It would run a stand alone attachment like a grain auger, generator etc.

Last edited:
Looking at the parts book on Agcopartsbook.com. The internal shift fork for the high and low is kept in place by 2 snap rings, one on each side of the shift fork. I had a MF14 that would not shift, took the rear housing apart and one of the snap rings missing on the shift fork.

Looking at the parts book on Agcopartsbook.com. The internal shift fork for the high and low is kept in place by 2 snap rings, one on each side of the shift fork. I had a MF14 that would not shift, took the rear housing apart and one of the snap rings missing on the shift fork.
I'll have to go take a look at that Ted! I do think it is shifting as it feels like gears engage/disengage in all 3 positions. Thanks for your comments!

DAC

It's just too darn cold to work out in the main shop, and looks like it will be for quite a few days. I'll tinker on it for sure this weekend since the shop will have some time to warm up. Still have more parts coming in too.

DAC

Carb got here today, and the fuel pump got here a couple days ago. It's just too dang cold to try to warm up the shop. That is enough stuff to try to fire the engine but not gonna do it yet.

DAC

Back