My new 1943 South Bend 9c lathe

If you have any electronics experience, this uses those cheap scales and gives you the capabilities of much more expensive readout systems: DIY DRO Project | Yuriy's Toys

I used the AcuuRemote brand scales and Yuriy's stuff to update a surface grinder at work, we use it with a diamond saw to slice up experimental integrated circuits!

If you have any electronics experience, this uses those cheap scales and gives you the capabilities of much more expensive readout systems: DIY DRO Project | Yuriy's Toys

I used the AcuuRemote brand scales and Yuriy's stuff to update a surface grinder at work, we use it with a diamond saw to slice up experimental integrated circuits!

I have little electronics experience, I try to stay away from it actually; I think my dread and fear of it is caused by my severe lack of knowledge in that department. As for the other read outs you posted, those look like they may be good solutions! I may look into that in the future, for now I will stick with the handwheel read outs. It may sound silly, but I prefer to learn the “old” way of doing things first, so I have a better understanding when I get to newer processes.

I have little electronics experience, I try to stay away from it actually; I think my dread and fear of it is caused by my severe lack of knowledge in that department. As for the other read outs you posted, those look like they may be good solutions! I may look into that in the future, for now I will stick with the handwheel read outs. It may sound silly, but I prefer to learn the “old” way of doing things first, so I have a better understanding when I get to newer processes.
Electronics can be confusing, but most things have some sort of solution worked out already.

From experience, I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with learning the old way, as long as you remain open to new stuff. When you finally make the switch, you appreciate it so much more!

I don't know much about turning metal but I have learned that this small lathe will do a lot, just not near as fast or maybe quit as accurate as a bigger more expensive lathe would. I know now that I need to change my gearing as it turns much slower than probably ever use.

Cheif, I have watched a few of his videos, but with that list I can watch ones that will be more helpful, thank you!

Sarg, I downloaded the app, thanks! Right now it is a bit confusing, but I will try to get the hang of it!

Way more information asked for than I know what to put in. Not intending to be a machinist, just a hobbyist.
It can get confusing! Fortunately, if you just want to make stuff good enough to fix something, you can usually get away with going faster till it sounds "wrong", then back off a bit.
Cheif, I have watched a few of his videos, but with that list I can watch ones that will be more helpful, thank you!

Sarg, I downloaded the app, thanks! Right now it is a bit confusing, but I will try to get the hang of it!

See what I said to chieffan! For a DIY'er, getting them "right" is mostly about finish quality, maximum removal rates are not very important.

I saw several videos where the machinist references the machinery handbook, and I thought it would be a great addition. I ordered the 30th edition, and it came today. The issue, is that I did not ordered the machinery handbook... I ordered the machinery handbook guide. The guide is a slimmed down version, with not nearly as much information from what I can tell.

I saw several videos where the machinist references the machinery handbook, and I thought it would be a great addition. I ordered the 30th edition, and it came today. The issue, is that I did not ordered the machinery handbook... I ordered the machinery handbook guide. The guide is a slimmed down version, with not nearly as much information from what I can tell.
It is much smaller than the actual Handbook. That said, the Internet give you access to most of data from the handbook. The stuff most machinists get out of the handbook are definitions of fits, tolerances, and thread definitions. A quick search for "ACME thread dimensions" found the same data I would get from the Handbook: External ACME Thread General Purpose Size Table Chart | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com

I just pick and chose down the list for what seems applicable at the time. Have looked into some forums but most don't want to talk to anyone who is not a professional machinist with big $$ lathes.

I do most of my internet surfing from my phone, and practical machinist never loads for me. I will check the other one out.

Sarg, I saw in the media section you have a picture of something a student cut with a bandsaw. Are you a machinist teacher?

I do most of my internet surfing from my phone, and practical machinist never loads for me. I will check the other one out.

Sarg, I saw in the media section you have a picture of something a student cut with a bandsaw. Are you a machinist teacher?
No, I work for the Physics deparment of the University of Louisville. I run a machine shop building research equipment, and occasionally the graduate students who do most of the actual research work "help" me on their projects. Some have more mechanical talent than others!

No, I work for the Physics deparment of the University of Louisville. I run a machine shop building research equipment, and occasionally the graduate students who do most of the actual research work "help" me on their projects. Some have more mechanical talent than others!

I was hoping you were a teacher honestly, although that is still very interesting. I went to vocational school for welding, and I reference the textbooks occasionally. I was hoping that you could recommend some machining textbooks.

Some of you may know that I work in construction, primarily dock building and pile driving. Along with my hammer, the crescent wrench gets the most use out of the tools on my belt. Last week, I ordered an older USA made crescent 10” adjustable spud from eBay for $23. I have been looking at it, trying to decide how to make a holder for it with the lathe. Tonight, I decided to just start making chips. I have a lot of 1 1/4” stock that I decided would work well. I cut a 6 inch piece or so, chucked it, center drilled it, and turned it until I had a consistent finish and size. The MT2 drills that I got with the lathe worked very well to drill out the center of the stock, the final drill I used was 0.85” diameter. The wrench is 3/4” on the widest point. I removed the stock from the lathe, and used my ports-band to cut off the part. I chucked the part up again, and did my best to face and chamfer the corners. I do not seem to get great results when facing, any ideas? Here is a poor picture of the part I made.
8C244345-5982-4E59-9202-10819C8BC9CF.jpeg

I did not fully have a plan on how to hang it from my belt, but I knew something would come to me after I got started. My plan now is to cut 2 slots about 120 degrees from each other in the part, that the belt can pass through. I plan that the belt passing though the part will act to keep the wrench in place. I may have to make a new part and drill/ bore it to the correct size that will hole the wrench securely, but not make it too difficult to get out.

Back