Need a Garden Tractor

Nothing wrong with that.

I was thinking today you probably need to get a cheap disposable mower to use for now so you can look a lil longer for "the right one" to come along. No pressure that way and in the off season prices are better.

Yeah I definitely have more research to do in that department before I start doing that. I'm too busy messing around learning concrete countertops and vertical carving right now

I think the Deutz Allis will be a good tractor for me. Parts seem to be available and it sounds like a good mower too. The majority of its life will be mowing, or parked in the garage, with occasional use pulling a trailer or my concrete mixer around.

yeah those were decent machines.... engine, hydro wheels tires and steering box are all parts that are common to many other machines than just them... so parts should not be a problem.

Saw one of those Deutz Allis front mower, rear steer machines a year or so ago in Massey Ferguson colours and badges. Was at an auction. I didn’t get it.

Noel

Flippin tractors has worked well for me BUT... Im semi retired so I have the time, and I have the space available.... plus Ive now been flippin them for nearly 10 years and have alot of used parts and/or tractors on hand. Its turned into a good little sideline now but there wasnt any profit for the first couple years.

I dont believe Simplicity ever built for MF... that might have been a Snapper built machine... which are also nice mowers.

Those Simplicity rear steer are my favorite mowers to use, they cut fast and turn sharp like ZT but I find the steering wheel to be more comfortable to use than the ZT levers. I had a JD F525 awhile back that was similar but only one rear wheel, it was awkward to mount/dismount but otherwise a very nice machine.

Ive brought home a total of 7 Simplicity models, 5 green Deutz Allis and 2 Agco Allis... Ive sold three of them, have one running but smoking so it needs a transplant, and probably enough parts for one more.

024.JPG

There was also a rear bagger with dump cart option but I find it makes it too wide in the rear and tough to manuever in tight spots....

005.JPG

Well, I had to cancel meeting to see/buy the DA. Took my blue heeler in for his annual shots and vet found an enlarged testicle. 70 dollar visit became 230 with blood tests. I find out tomorrow if its cancer, but the vet thinks it is.

Regardless he will have to be castrated, she said that will be no less that 500..... and as a consolation prize i have to push mow the property now.... fml.... and ill be a mess if i gotta put him down

Last edited:
well lay low, and youll find something when you want something "hot and heavy" you won't find a deal.... something will always turn up better shortly afterwards.... some of the best deals come when youre not looking or at least not that hard

well lay low, and youll find something when you want something "hot and heavy" you won't find a deal.... something will always turn up better shortly afterwards.... some of the best deals come when youre not looking or at least not that hard
Im pretty sure ive found what i like lol, thats the kicker. I really like the DA 917H , and i like it over the other versions. Id say the simplicity is my 2nd.

This is my luck though

Well the vet got us all worked up over what turns out to be an infection. Poor guy, his little nuts are supposed to be about the size of grapes and he's got one about the size of a Swiss roll lol. But so long as he doesn't have any underlying cancer-causing this, he should be okay after antibiotics.

That said I talked to the guy with the DA 917H . Said the hydro and engine are good, mower cuts great.

But he also said it's a points and condensers engine, and sometimes it's hard to start if its cold.

He said it's a great tractor and that it's reliable and he really doesn't want to get rid of it, but you got to be mechanically inclined with it,and he's really only getting rid of it because he's at an age where he doesn't want to deal with something ya gotta tinker with here and there, something that will start easy every time.

He said all that's wrong with it is there some areas of the deck that need repaired but they're all minor little stress cracks/rust common to a deck that age. Said it cuts grass better than his other mower.

And I haven't really had any time to look into it, but isn't it only a couple hundred bucks to convert these over to electronic ignitions from points?

It lives in a barn now, it will be in a climate-controlled garage under my ownership.

I know how to work on stuff, I drive a 2001 7.3 powerstroke i maintain myself, and I don't know a alot about Diesel's when I bought the truck. But I knew the 7.3 is agood engine. And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the same applies to the 17hp Kohler series 2's.

So do you think it's worth $600 he was asking 750... I offer him 550 he said he wouldnt go under 600

Last edited:
Series ll are good as far as I know. Sound like a heck of a deal.
If you wait and think about it, it will be sold. I have learn my lesson on that. You’d better get it before someone else does.
If it’s not what you want after you get it. You can allways sell it. And get your money back.
If you don’t get it. You won’t ever know any thing about it.
An old saying, why wait till spring, do it now !!!!!!

Noel.

Back