Need a Garden Tractor

But he also said it's a points and condensers engine, and sometimes it's hard to start if its cold.

I've never heard that. As long as they are properly adjusted, the timing is right on, and the battery is good; you shouldn't have a problem.

. . . correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the same applies to the 17hp Kohler series 2's.

Lots of guys were beating the bushes for a series II when their series I died. I've never heard complaints.

Haha, I might be able to get up there tomorrow but I'm not sure.

I'm going to go for it as soon as I can get up there. I don't mind keeping it points so as long as it's still working. To tell the truth I don't mind having something I got to do a little bit of Maintenance like that on.

one other thing is is he said it it's probably going to need a new battery.

Well the so long as this happens, the first thing I plan to do is change the oil. Any recommendations on oil and filter?

Everybody has there own opinion about what oil to use.
So, mine is, I use 10w-30 in every small engine I use.
Hot weather they say, who ever they are, say to use 30w.
10w-30 for me, is easy to get any where if you need it, on sale sometimes and why have to rememeber what oil to put in what.
Manuals I have say use 30w. But also say 10w-30 is good to use. Just check oil more often.
Filters, filter dirt out. Some may or may not do a better job than others. Not gunna make a lot of difference.
Just my opinion, others will have theirs.

Noel

I use straight 30w Non-Detergent in all small engines and in all seasons... according to many people on these forums the Series I engine supposedly had an oiling issue but I have one in an old JD317 and it still runs just fine, the Series II supposedly did not have the same problem.... at $600 its a great buy.

Both the series 1 & 2 KT17's were good engines. The series 1 had a bad oil starvation problem if it was run on a side hill for any length of time. I have both series engines in JD 317's and they both run great. I just don't get sideways on any hill with the series 1.

That's a good deal at $600.00 and I wouldn't worry about the points as long as you maintain the engine regularly.

He said its the KT17 series 2. I talked to him this morning and confirm the deal for 600, told him I'd be up there Saturday to pick it up. My wife is working double tomorrow 7a-11p and we have a five-month-old, then todays the 4th and hes prob got his own thing going on.

My wife is a corrections officer and turns out this guy is a retired corrections officer, and i was a cop but got hurt on the job, and Im not what i was in a fight anymore, my watch has ended. But anywho, im pretty sure he wont sell it out from underneath me now lol.

clean and gap the points, just give it a good once over and itll start easy every time. 2 of my easiest starting machines have the KT19s on them, start right up after sitting 6 months, one is a dedicated snow removal tractor, 48" snowblower on it so 95% of the time it gets started, is in the cold....
the other one has my 3 pt tiller on it, put the battery back in it after sitting in a barn all winter and most of the spring/ and it started after about 2 revoutions…

these start easier than the last couple of Magnums (electronic ignition) I have had around here. don't let the points scare you away if all else is ok with it

Im not scared of points, just havent touched points since I was 15 and helped a neighbor guy out building a T-bucket. About 1993'ish lol.

Heres what pics i have. Not the best. You can se his AC 611 in the background of one pic. Thats the one hes said he uses to mow, said for him its just simpler and easier than the 917.

65319561_10215898563991036_9095558646258991104_n.jpg65591889_10215898547670628_8942095229935157248_o.jpg65247444_10215898550470698_7955687863637508096_n.jpg

Congratulations!

That's a great looking tractor.

After you start using that tractor a bit, you will start getting ideas, the kind that are potentially dangerous, the kind that ask, how do I modify, it's a bug in my experience, and before you know it, your hooked. :thumbs:

also,

It looks like that tractor is almost under utilized in its current configuration.... looks like a very tough tractor. I'm guessing in modern terms it would have cost you somewhere in the $9k range for an equivalent. That's a real bargain.

I know it was well answered, but the HP question is interesting to me. I think these low HP engines achieve a higher torque curve at lower RPM's. Almost like they are "stroked". I would be curious if you experience any of your hp concerns? I suspect you won't.

Green paint looks good... for some reason it last better than most colors. Left side grass shute takes some getting used to... I think the 917 might be the only one Ive had.

A 17hp from 1990 has more usable power than a modern 25hp engine... the tractor is more than capable of any ground work you might want to do.

Those Wheelhorse are not very common around here so its one of the very few brands Ive never had but would certainly like to find. All this spring Ive been using a 10hp K and 42" deck on a Ford LGT100... works very well BUT... it just sold... so now Ive dug out my old 42" Columbia deck and going to put it on my other MTD960 with 16hp B/S single.... it wont be real comfy... but it will handle the rough stuff just fine, I mowed 3 acres with the Columbia for two seasons about 8-10 years ago.

Had to put a different seat assembly on mine. Original was bolted right to the fender pan. My bad back couldn't take that. Now has the seat assy. off of a bolens QD. Boy are those nice.
You should be able to run that 16hp. single at high idle with a 42" deck. :)

Dont recall how much throttle I was running back then with the deck on the Columbia but it does everything else at a high idle... I think the B/S singles have more usuable power a low rpm than the Ks... the Columbia has out-pulled every other GT Ive seen to date, including many with twin cyl engines like the 917H Lawdawg is looking at.

It started raining here right about the time that guy picked up the Ford, 36 hours ago, and hasnt quit since so the MTD will get a good work out when it does finally stop.... and if it works as well as I expect it will... the price will go up;)

Back