Salvaging junked out LT's

I got the engine put back together and adjusted the valve lash. Then went mowing again! Tried to post a video my wife took but it won't work. Engine still hunts some until the pto is engaged then it smooths right out. I still have a little tweaking to do but I think it may be a good mower for my wife. I'm going to get a spark plug too. the one that came with the carb is too small. May have to go to Fleet Farm and get a seat tomorrow since I have to go to town anyway.

I'm sure that you have a bigger collection than I have @backwoods ! Only have two GT's and they get to be in the shop. They always have either been in a shed or the shop ever since I got them. I've had the MF8E since before I had the shop even! Just a shed back then. There's still a late 1960's MTD LT out in one of the sheds too. The one in the avatar.

DAC

Last edited:
Thank-you! I usually hate anything sitting outside, but this one won't hurt my feelings too bad. It will be tarped though!

DAC
All of mine are outside, two are under "hard" roof lean too's, seven under tarps and one has a tarp over the front (tractor has a cab). Other than having to clean the points once in awhile, they all run.

All of mine are outside, two are under "hard" roof lean too's, seven under tarps and one has a tarp over the front (tractor has a cab). Other than having to clean the points once in awhile, they all run.
That's one thing I don't have to worry about, points, Jake. Sounds like your storage system works fine! I just don't like the weather beating them. I'm being a hypocrite to my old trucks unfortunately! I don't know if the old MTD 800 will start now, it was running well when I got the MF12G, but I haven't gotten around to starting it for nearly 10 years! I imagine it has points. I mowed with that thing for 30 years and it was old when I got it in 1980! Never had to even check the points that entire time!

We were on the run darnnear all day but I did get the new seat mounted and the hood back on. Not cleaned yet. I am going to move the seat further back though. Gonna have to drill holes to do that. It's back far as the slots allow. My wife decided she wanted a little higher back on the seat so It cost me $63 bucks. Now have about a hundred bucks in the darn thing! No pics yet.

DAC

Cheap entertainment Doug for a hundred bucks and a happy wife. And all the entertainment it gave us. Hehe. Money well spent. So you could sell it in the spring. What would you get for it in your area. I’d say you’d get your money back and be able to take wife out some where.

Noel.

The only reason I need to touch the points up is because I have Kirk's Transdensors on eight of my tractors. They send such a low amount of voltage to the points that if the tractors sit awhile the points get a film on them, a little cleaning and everything is back up and running. Isn't it funny how little things add up, eh Doug? A part here, a part there, and next thing you know your a couple hundred dollars lighter in the pockets or checkbook.

Cheap entertainment Doug for a hundred bucks and a happy wife. And all the entertainment it gave us. Hehe. Money well spent. So you could sell it in the spring. What would you get for it in your area. I’d say you’d get your money back and be able to take wife out some where.

Noel.
I guess cheap entertainment---LOL! As if I really need more entertainment! If I was retired, no problem, but work gets in the way of the entertainment! Back to work tomorrow (or maybe even tonight yet if the work phone rings) but on call is over at 6am at least! I don't have any idea what junk like this would sell for around here. My buy/sell skills go like buy expensive and sell cheap! Even a free tractor may get where it will sell for less than what I got into it---LOL! No plans to sell anyway. The video my wife put on facebook got several "I need a cheap tractor" comments from some friends and then a couple that said come get one in my back yard! Unfortunately the freebies are hundreds of miles away!

DAC

The only reason I need to touch the points up is because I have Kirk's Transdensors on eight of my tractors. They send such a low amount of voltage to the points that if the tractors sit awhile the points get a film on them, a little cleaning and everything is back up and running. Isn't it funny how little things add up, eh Doug? A part here, a part there, and next thing you know your a couple hundred dollars lighter in the pockets or checkbook.
You went right over my head with the "Kirk's Transdensors" deal there Jake---LOL! No clue what that is! Yeah, I do understand how those little things add up! Tractors are sure cheaper than trucks at least! Well maybe not--- a cheaper new garden tractor can cost more than my trucks!

DAC

Doug, a Kirk Transdenser replaces the condenser on a points fired engine. It gives a hotter spark yet lowers the voltage running through the points down to almost nothing. It is suppose to save on points wear and tear. When I was out your way I had my tractors in a garage, in that situation all my tractors pretty much fired up in one or two cranks.

Doug, a Kirk Transdenser replaces the condenser on a points fired engine. It gives a hotter spark yet lowers the voltage running through the points down to almost nothing. It is suppose to save on points wear and tear. When I was out your way I had my tractors in a garage, in that situation all my tractors pretty much fired up in one or two cranks.
Your avatar picture must have been taken while you were in Pierre? Looks like you just pulled them out of the garage for pics. I tried to start a Avatar thread some time back where members of the site could tell the story and show a full size version of the avatars they post but it died off pretty fast. That Kirk unit sounds like an efficient device! Is it suitable for automotive points ignitions too?

DAC

Got the seat about where I think it should be but didn't have to drill any holes! Two of the female threads in the seat miss the tractor seat mount completely! I'm not to confident that two bolts are enough so I may weld a little more to the tractor seat mount so I can catch the other two 3/8"-16 holes.
DSCN2833.JPG

Then I did get to rub some Penetrol on the hood and grill sections of the sheet metal. Put's a little life back into a dead paint job. Next step will be to take the front wheels off and see where the slow leaks are. If tubes are needed I'll get some. Rears hold air just fine it seems.
DSCN2831.JPG DSCN2832.JPG

DAC

Your avatar picture must have been taken while you were in Pierre? Looks like you just pulled them out of the garage for pics. I tried to start a Avatar thread some time back where members of the site could tell the story and show a full size version of the avatars they post but it died off pretty fast. That Kirk unit sounds like an efficient device! Is it suitable for automotive points ignitions too?

DAC
Yep, your right Doug. That wasn't too long after I picked up my 216 out there, only had five tractors then. They doubled since then. I don't think the Transdensor will work on autos, he has them made for the K series , because he did garden tractor pulls. He sells some hop-up goodies for GT engines, this is his site,Kirk Engines, Inc. >> Garden Tractor Performance Parts

Last edited:
Lookin good Doug. That tractor in my area, in the spring, would be worth about the $400.00 Canadian dollar mark. Just useless information, but if you ever sell it, you should get your money back.

Noel

Lookin good Doug. That tractor in my area, in the spring, would be worth about the $400.00 Canadian dollar mark. Just useless information, but if you ever sell it, you should get your money back.

Noel
Down here, I'd ask $400 and negotiate from there!

Yep, your right Doug. That wasn't too long after I picked up my 216 out there, only had five tractors then. They doubled since then. I don't think the Transdensor will work on autos, he has them made for the K series , because he did garden tractor pulls. He sells some hop-up goodies for GT engines, this is his site,Kirk Engines, Inc. >> Garden Tractor Performance Parts

Sounds pretty interesting Jake, I will check out that site when I get a chance! I have wanted for a long time to see a garden tractor pull! Some of the videos I've seen sure look fun! The MF8E had a blown up Kohler on it when I got it. The original engine I suppose. I scrapped that engine and put an 8 HP Briggs on it. Almost 30 years ago I had no clue that maybe just a new rod may have got the old thing running fine again. It now has an HS110 Tec on it, which has an electronic ignition.

Noel

Down here, I'd ask $400 and negotiate from there!

Thanks for the encouragement, Noel and Kenny, that if it isn't what we need that I may be able to flip it and not lose my a--! It is a strange market around here but as more people move in it seems there's more folks interested in buying such stuff. I do think that belts, coil and a new ignition switch will be in order for it yet too so there's another 50-75 bucks!

Didn't do anything on it tonight, tired from work!

DAC

Put a battery in that freebie Bolens/MTD LT that I got running last December. Fired off right away and it had been sitting outside. Went ahead and mowed the septic tank drain field and a couple other areas that grow faster than the rest. It did fine but the MF12G cut quality is definitely better. Might have to mow slower but I ran it in 6th gear.

DAC

DSCN3155.JPG

Front tires on that MTD/Bolens have rotted out sidewalls, only hold air for a couple days. Went out back and looked at a couple other Lt's and the JD160 fronts still have air since last fall. Just so happens they will fit too! Bearing wheels rather than bushing. Put them on and it's ready for more mowing tests!

DAC

DSCN3161.JPG

Back