Sawdust’s Garden 2022

Great looking garden Jim.

Noel
Thanks Noel I’m a little worried about my potatoes. The last time I had such nice looking tops I had nothing but pebble size potatoes. I’ve fertilized them three times with 10-10-10 once preparing the soil, then after planting, then side dressed them about a foot tall. I was able to hill them three times. I really don’t want to take a peek yet in fear of being disappointed.

I was told, from a commercial grower, to use triple 17 fertilizer on potatoes.

Noel
The stage they are in now needs potash for tuber growth. I was fortunate to get the 10-10-10 around here. Most feed stores and other places near me only got one shipment this year so far with fertilizer and seeds. This winter I’m saving my wood ashes separate to side dress the potatoes instead of adding them to the compost.

Last edited:
We didn’t get that much needed rain yesterday at all. Our main garden is 130’ from the house and the potato/corn garden is another 112’ beyond that. I have two 50’ hoses and two 75’ hoses going out. I got the main garden watered then the potatoes. The sun started coming up so I have to water the corn tomorrow.

We have an Ash tree on one side of the P/C garden that had been cut down years ago I guess. It has sprouted to a real nice forked tree that hangs over the garden pretty low. I dreamed last week that tree was full of coons and they were dropping down into the garden. It’s a possibility because they are so smart. I went out around noon today and trimmed it. I feel better now.
988E810D-C178-464B-A3B0-AFCD4310EB53.jpeg564500AA-31B4-4F02-986E-ED7EA8EE2963.jpegE677CFAB-94DC-45B4-8F47-84ABCA96C82F.jpeg

I don't see anything in your garden to be ashamed of. Very nice looking and far ahead of ours. I envy Carol for being able to enjoy beets already. Eating them now sure sounds good.
I can see where having those fences would limit your option on working the garden. Whatever your doing seems to be working good. We have never had to fertilize the potatoes. Have hauled in sheep and horse manure but that's been a few years ago.

I think Carol’s zucchini and squash ship has docked for the summer. It’s been this way or more every morning. I told her a 20’ row of each will be too much. The two cucumbers came from a volunteer coming out of the compost bin.
AA64D0B6-D3A0-46BD-BD8D-AC4229D48E04.jpeg

Our teepees of half runner pole beans are just not working out this year. I have planted off and on over 30 bean seeds with only about 5-6 plants in each getting ready to climb the rest never sprouted. The teepees with last years seeds are doing well. The heirloom seeds are doing well also. I had one tomato plant started turning yellow and I fertilized it with some Miracle Grow all purpose plant food two days ago. It’s already recovered. My compost has a lot of chicken manure with pine shavings from the coop. The farmer that I got cow manure from last year had a lot of his straw bedding. I’m thinking the pine shavings and straw are over powering the nitrogen in the manure. I think at the end of the year I’m going to take some soil samples and see what I have and treat it for next year. Happy gardening!

I think Carol’s zucchini and squash ship has docked for the summer. It’s been this way or more every morning. I told her a 20’ row of each will be too much. The two cucumbers came from a volunteer coming out of the compost bin.
View attachment 55107

Our teepees of half runner pole beans are just not working out this year. I have planted off and on over 30 bean seeds with only about 5-6 plants in each getting ready to climb the rest never sprouted. The teepees with last years seeds are doing well. The heirloom seeds are doing well also. I had one tomato plant started turning yellow and I fertilized it with some Miracle Grow all purpose plant food two days ago. It’s already recovered. My compost has a lot of chicken manure with pine shavings from the coop. The farmer that I got cow manure from last year had a lot of his straw bedding. I’m thinking the pine shavings and straw are over powering the nitrogen in the manure. I think at the end of the year I’m going to take some soil samples and see what I have and treat it for next year. Happy gardening!
That chicken manure can over power things and burn them.

Well since Gary mentioned planting some cabbages and awhile back Lorna was talking about hers I had to at least get some cabbage seeds. We couldn’t find any plants so this will be my first time starting cabbages. They are 87 days to harvest, our first frost is late October so I should be good. I planted 12 pots with 2 seeds per pot. Our bush beans should be fine by the time these seedlings are ready to plant. Bush beans and cabbages are good companions.
D5B186BD-6800-4121-B270-8C6473EC5BFD.jpeg

Our tomato plants are looking real good so far. Have the cages around them to keep them contained and going up. 8cabbage aere forming softball size heads, Broccoli isn't heading yet but the cauliflower is big as softballs. Have some big weeds scattered that didn't get completely cut off the last tilling. Will pull them ass I run the tiller through it all tomorrow. Hope to remember to bring the camera along and get a couple pics.

The storm we had two days ago bent some corn over and flattened some potato plants. I had two areas about 10’ long that I had to go in and straighten up. It wasn’t too bad just hot and pollen floating around everywhere.
13B27D83-6538-43B3-9727-6914B269B117.jpeg2ABFB1A6-ADF1-43C1-9C4A-EFC9E93F6955.jpeg
Everything is doing very well. I’m having to tie our tomatoes up every other day and prune them as well. Bush beans are blooming. Cucumbers are coming higher up the fence now it’s hard to see the first ones on the ground. We’ve lost about four pepper plants but others are coming along. I’ve been pinching off the too early blooms to promote better plants for later. Carol’s variety pumpkins are doing real good. I like the white ones. Zucchini and squash are about done but still producing a few a day. I think if you could sit long enough you could watch these grow it’s amazing. Beets are about the size of golf balls. We’ve been eating the radishes. I don’t care for them much but she’s going to can some this year. Onions came in early already been drying some. I got another two rows almost ready. Carrots have a way to go yet. Got several golf ball size tomatoes. Pole beans are starting to climb. My four okra plants I put between the bush beans are doing well. I like the okra plant it can get so massive. Sorry I’m so long but I really enjoy the garden.
E95AB120-412E-4484-98A3-27764C693334.jpegC12F7352-908E-4E75-8BAA-A5710CB7EED9.jpeg98AFB23A-9C14-4CFF-A1F4-5457B45FE300.jpeg29851247-93A4-471D-BA12-7B8A4B5A54D3.jpeg0E08AA48-D505-4B1B-A1BA-C64A95437054.jpegAECB2E06-D3F7-48C4-963C-9293B8426684.jpegAB000578-1FBD-4CEE-A205-AAC28C826ADF.jpeg15ACE222-A6D9-44D0-9182-26B2BE4F6C4A.jpeg

Looking good. Haven't been down to our garden in the last few days. Been raining and a dirt drive to get to it or walk. I use the light weight 4' high cattle panels to make square cages for the tomatoes. Hog rings at the corner let them fold flat for storage. Never have to bother them, just let them grow. Had ½" rain again yesterday and last evening and early this morning another .46". Won't complain a bit as we really needed it. But it can stop now for a while. Been good soak in rains.

Looking good. Haven't been down to our garden in the last few days. Been raining and a dirt drive to get to it or walk. I use the light weight 4' high cattle panels to make square cages for the tomatoes. Hog rings at the corner let them fold flat for storage. Never have to bother them, just let them grow. Had ½" rain again yesterday and last evening and early this morning another .46". Won't complain a bit as we really needed it. But it can stop now for a while. Been good soak in rains.
We had a lot of rain a few days ago and an all day rain today. Like many it was needed. I like the cattle panel idea for tomatoes but staking them has always been my preference. I enjoy pruning and tieing them up early in the morning before the sun comes up. The grassy mulch is like carpet and I just crawl around with a cup of coffee and do my thing. I can’t imagine how much real-estate needed for 27 plants in cages.

I can’t imagine how much real-estate needed for 27 plants in cages.
Each cage is only 20" to the side, give or take. 2 cages per 16' panel. Set them so the corners meet between the plants. No more real-estate than the plants themselves. If you have the time and can get down and back up staking and pruning may work just fine. If I tried that and got down I would have to crawl to a fence post to get back up again. :(

Great looking garden Jim. I’d say you put a lot of time into it.

Noel
Thanks Noel we sure do. Two of our three kids started gardening this year so I think we will cut back some next year. It’s a blessing to see them getting involved with things we taught them over the years. The way times are you never know if that row of beans or potatoes might keep you from going hungry.

Going to spend a couple of hours in the garden this morning it’s 56F and a little cloudy sure feels good out. Going to pull the squash and zucchini plants, tie the tomatoes up, and plant the rest of my onion sets for Fall. The beets, and carrots are waiting to be pulled. Carol’s just about got all the cucumbers canned or frozen. She canned some squash pickles this year that are really good kind of like a B&B pickle. Our tomatoes are plenty but no red ones yet sure are slow this year along with the peppers. Bush beans are almost done, pole beans will be ready in a few days. The corn has a couple of weeks to go. I pulled one ear the other day looked nice and full but not ready yet. It tasted good. Potatoes are pretty much died off not too optimistic about the red ones. The seeds were dried up and the last of the bin when I bought them. They should have given them to me or gave me a deal. I’m not going back there next year, they get everything in way too early and only one shipment this year. The place was an old hardware store but was bought out by a very wealthy family two years ago. It has some improvements but seems to be going away from the farmers needs like a lot of places.
32AE2AA7-CB6F-49F9-86E6-6EA13E50E872.jpegD8D0CFFC-6CDB-4801-A429-1B58541B7E27.jpeg2E653D88-97E3-4E21-AE69-10CF3FA2C95E.jpegEEBA4B5A-E561-407B-AEC9-F984186D8145.jpegD3975CBF-8F2A-4E51-96DE-2F952DE71236.jpeg53285E4D-903E-40BE-9FFE-A4A0AD2ADDC3.jpegED35A43A-996F-4271-BC9B-71AB91D0F8B2.jpeg7AC64DE2-76C0-4B23-8F84-FA72CA021DB8.jpeg61FBA320-D0D6-45F2-9477-DF24C4B606B5.jpeg8831E40B-31C2-4DAA-A0FF-A32DA1F1BAD0.jpeg

Back