What are you currently working on??

Doing a little of this today. Figuring out where things go. A lot of work had been done before on this. Bolts shortened. The coupling at the pump end was shaved off. And other things. So just doing some fitting and making sure things on parts are tight.

Noel

Attachments

• 1CF34495-FE72-462F-BA73-918A4DB44220.jpeg
    1CF34495-FE72-462F-BA73-918A4DB44220.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 5FBF4BE3-CD8B-4569-8963-8A12C5426691.jpeg
    5FBF4BE3-CD8B-4569-8963-8A12C5426691.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 0C6A6EDD-6B18-4BB3-86ED-D375A18D0A5A.jpeg
    0C6A6EDD-6B18-4BB3-86ED-D375A18D0A5A.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 3
Got the 1862 out and mowed for a while today. Everything worked good. got into some 8" tall grass and it walked right thought but it was tough cutting. Needs new bushings in the front deck wheels carriers. Need to get them sized and ordered from Baum Hydraulics in Omaha. Only takes a couple days to get here.

Last edited:
Yesterday I reinstalled the sign for the cemetery and painted the post it was mounted on.
Then on the way home I spotted a guy putting up a yard sale sign. so I checked it out. The only thing he had that interested me was a box of aerosol paint, Mostly Rustoleum. Also had two cans of Scotch Guard, a bottle of Goo-Gone, and an unopened Bondo Repair kit. Started checking out if any were full. Turns out 14 of 23 were unused. Asked how much for the boxful, He said $5. Then he threw in some stars the wife was looking at. I ended up giving him $10 and still felt like I robbed him. In the picture the 14 cans to the back of the box are unused. I dropped the Bondo off at my brothers place. The wife confiscated the scotch Guard, Goo-Gone and a can of silver glitter paint.
Then I finished putting the sub frame under the tractor it will be used on.
That was a good haul at the rummage sale, Rick! The third can down on the right looks like the color I painted the chop saw stand with.

That sub frame assembly is turning out great!

DAC

Last edited:
I was gunna put a tube in this tire, but wheel won’t come of shaft of course. Soooo, any helpful hints to get them off. I would have thought I would of grease them, at some point. And I didn’t realy think I’d have any trouble getting them off. But I am. Other one is stuck too. But already has a tube in it, so no trouble there. And that’s why I thought I put something on the axles, I think I put the tube in that side years ago. But all thinks, and maybes. So I may never have done any of it. Any way, there stuck. Any ideas would be great.

Noel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 11
I was gunna put a tube in this tire, but wheel won’t come of shaft of course. Soooo, any helpful hints to get them off. I would have thought I would of grease them, at some point. And I didn’t realy think I’d have any trouble getting them off. But I am. Other one is stuck too. But already has a tube in it, so no trouble there. And that’s why I thought I put something on the axles, I think I put the tube in that side years ago. But all thinks, and maybes. So I may never have done any of it. Any way, there stuck. Any ideas would be great.

Noel
I would do what you are doing. Keep the puller on it, spray it with penetrating oil, tighten it every once in a while, smack with a hammer and at some point put a little heat on it. Biggest thing is don’t get impatient.

I would do what you are doing. Keep the puller on it, spray it with penetrating oil, tighten it every once in a while, smack with a hammer and at some point put a little heat on it. Biggest thing is don’t get impatient.

That’s what I’ve been doing JBRamsay. Thanks for your reply. And I won’t get impatient. I know the guy at the small engine shop that I deal with just changes the tire or puts tubes in while it’s still on the tractor. If he can’t get the wheel off. I’ve never done that. And I’m sure I don’t have the tools to do it either. I’d rather get the wheels off.
Hehe. Maybe it was this tractor that I had the wheels off and greased. And me thinking it was the other one.

Noel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 4
Very poor design to start with. Looks like an MTD type drive wheel set up. Last one I got off was on a bad rear end so used a slide hammer on it from the inside but I do not recommend that on yours. Like JB said, keep it sprayed with penetrate, tighten it when you walk by and every now and thn smack the puller bolt with a hammer.

16' X 10' steel overhead door had a problem when I went to close it last night. Cable jumped off the wind up wheel and was wrapped around the torsion spring shaft. I oiled the spring and rollers about 3 weeks ago, standard maintenance for those type of doors. Lets the door go up faster than it use to. Plus the wind up wheel was not aligned up right with the door. Took a little time to get the door locked to the track level and torsion spring tube clamped so it could not turn but once that was done loosened the wheel, wound the cable back on it right, moved it over about an inch and locked it in place. Removed all the clamps and it worked like it is supposed to. On to the next project.

Axle will come out of transmission doing that Aaron. Believe me. I know. Years ago I tried pounding the wheel off the axle, different tractor, with hammer and punch. Got it off the tractor alright. Wheel and axle. Snap ring came off and out came the axle after all the pounding. So had to take transmission out to fix that. After I got the wheel of the axle. This was way back when I knew nothing. Hehe. And still don’t. But thanks for your reply.

Noel

16' X 10' steel overhead door had a problem when I went to close it last night. Cable jumped off the wind up wheel and was wrapped around the torsion spring shaft. I oiled the spring and rollers about 3 weeks ago, standard maintenance for those type of doors. Lets the door go up faster than it use to. Plus the wind up wheel was not aligned up right with the door. Took a little time to get the door locked to the track level and torsion spring tube clamped so it could not turn but once that was done loosened the wheel, wound the cable back on it right, moved it over about an inch and locked it in place. Removed all the clamps and it worked like it is supposed to. On to the next project.
Been there before!

Axle will come out of transmission doing that Aaron. Believe me. I know. Years ago I tried pounding the wheel off the axle, different tractor, with hammer and punch. Got it off the tractor alright. Wheel and axle. Snap ring came off and out came the axle after all the pounding. So had to take transmission out to fix that. After I got the wheel of the axle. This was way back when I knew nothing. Hehe. And still don’t. But thanks for your reply.

Noel

I thought it was a front wheel at quick glance...

Not used to rear wheels going on like that.

I've bent a few if those up beyond hope trying to pull them, and then "what's the point" in being nice, I got brutal and got the saw all and blue wrench out... Had to replace the wheels too at that point anyway...
I've resorted to peeling off the tire while rim still mounted on the machine, since then if they put up a fight.... Done many on semi's that way over the years.

Noel
I learned the hard way on the MF8E several years ago, and I thought I knew something about tractors then. Got the wheel off just fine. Hub wasn't coming off. I trashed a puller trying it. I did heat with the puller, penetrating oil, etc. I figured it could be whacked with a hammer to maybe break it loose. Like you said, the whole axle came out. Busted the splines off after the snap ring. Fortunately I found another axle at a good price from a guy on GTT. Once I could put the axle in a vise, I got the hub moving. Got the seals replaced at least, and got to see the inside of a transaxle for the first time!
Smeared anti seize on everything!

DAC

The seat on the Massey was a little on the small size.
I worked over and painted a larger one.
A friend had given me a backrest bracket and pad which got refurbished also.
Once installed and tried out I'm happy with them.
I had not seen any of these backrests before or since. Wishing I had four more of them.
I've not had any luck finding the backrest I wanted. So I bought some 1/4"x3" steel and proceeded to make my own.
Went to my brothers shop and used his press. I managed to replicate the bends and keep it all square. I had made a "blade" to fit the shaft on the hydraulic jack, lined it up with my marks and pressed away. It turned out pretty good, and mirrored the original piece. I'll get the holes drilled in the NeXT few days, cut the wood pieces for the pad and wait for the wife to make the covers. I'm thinking I need two more but may make a couple extra for future use.

Attachments

• 20210911_152129.jpg
    20210911_152129.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210911_152453.jpg
    20210911_152453.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210911_152501.jpg
    20210911_152501.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210911_152611.jpg
    20210911_152611.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210911_152120.jpg
    20210911_152120.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 40772-73903b2b3779365c57598d871e44ca50.jpg
    40772-73903b2b3779365c57598d871e44ca50.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 6
have a nice, clean looking, rear tine Honda tiller in the shop right now.... 0 compression so I had to pull the head off... was just a stuck exhaust valve so that was easy enough to fix... but holy crap the mess under the flywheel cover... apparantly the seal behind the flywheel has been leaking for a long time......

regtiller.JPG

Back