What are you currently working on??

Put a new carb on an Echo backpack blower yesterday and sent it back home. Have a PowerTrain 6500 gen set I may have to get a new carb for. Taking it apart and spraying out with carb cleaner didn't help it. Have a Toro All-Wheel drive push mower waiting for the front drive cable. Had a Vet buddy stop by yesterday, he's bringing me a Bolens tractor by to work on. Another guy has a Wheel Horse D160 waiting for me. So I'm staying occupied.

What do you think of those all wheel drive models Kenny. Any brand. I’ve been thinking about those for a while now. I’m wondering if they would make it easier to cut my ditch.

Noel
We picked up a free Toro one awhile back. It is ridiculously heavy for a push mower. It cut nice but it wasnt that easy going around the yard. Maybe if you were cutting long straight lines. In the end we removed all the drive parts and kept it as a backup beater mower

I picked up a JD #62 2 wheel power drive mower at an auction a few months ago. Put new drive wheels on and works out great. 5 speeds forward, use your arms for reverse. Carolyn uses it all the time and really likes it. Thinking of going to battery for her as she has trouble pulling it fast enough to fire it off. Just not sold on all this battery stuff yet. Gets darn expensive by the time you by the mower, then the charger, then the battery blows nearly $500.

Drove 3 hour round trip to pick up the bike. In better shape that I thought. Runs great. Drove it around for a few miles today to try it out. 2 speed shifts nice. Engine has so much compression its a bear to kick over. Pretty happy with it.

Guy even had the original manuals, parts book, bill of sale from 1965, and few other odds and ends.

20211002_112754.jpg20211002_112747.jpg20211002_112734.jpg20211002_112741.jpg

On the all wheel drive push mower.. never used one, but in the sense of the old FWD/RWD debate, any time you have ditches/hilly ground I'll take a RWD every time.
I watched my 40-some year old neighbor woman who had just learned to mow grass for the 1st time in her life/ they had a non self propelled push mower for the trim and such, and a LT for the flat ground. When the LT died and they couldn't afford to replace either the LT or the engine the old mower, the next option was a self propelled mower.
I watched and laughed as they bought a FWD self propelled mower and struggled with getting up and out of the ditch, as when you push down on the handle you no longer have drive assist.
And I have an old Hahn eclipse self propelled mower with RWD, climbs out of the ditch like a mountain goat.

Went over a friends house this morning to prep for future work there. Had to move 35 bales of hay. The 316 was fully loaded with 6 bales at a time. Had 35 to move.
Bill's Hay.jpeg

After that I moved some large logs closer to his splitter for him. Then I moved his dirt scoop out where he could get a tractor hooked to it. It was similar to this:

All-in -all a good day. I'll be sore tomorrow for sure. The 316 did a great job.

Not much right now. We're holed up in the pop up camper 2-1/2 hours from home waiting for a monsoon to end. Got the generator fired up (hey we got a non electric site) with the tv on on which we have a choice of 4 uninteresting stations, one of which is a station in Champaign IL which is closer to home than here, watching all the weather warnings that are in effect over there extending from 30 miles west of home all the way to the IL/IN line of which I am about 35 miles east of. TV reception provided by a digital antenna box.
We came out for covered bridge fest, today til almost 4 pm local time, was nice/ got to 84* before clouds rolled in. Did a bunch of looking at garage sales around, bought a couple of small things not much. Lotsa walking around. Did Bridgeton today and went 15 miles south to town wide sales in Brazil
Rain supposed to end over nite, hopefully tomorrow can hit Mansfield and Bainbridge, have 1 private garage sale to possibly revisit between Bridgeton and Mansfield for a set of GT tires and wheels.
(All towns in Indiana)
Yesterday I discovered a low tire on the Durango, went to my buddy's house a few miles away and aired it up, it was down to 20 lbs. Aired it up to 40, today less than 24 hours later it was at 18. Put the spare on and dropped the leaker off at a Goodyear place while we scouted out Brazil. It's pouring, out, it can wait for that to quit for me to swap them out again.
My buddy who lives near used to live up by me, works at the campground and is my free firewood supplier while I am here/ won't be burning any tonight.

I pulled my lift cylinder off of my White 1855 because of the shaft seal leaking. Apparently it sit awhile with the rod extended and rusted in a few places. I cleaned the areas up but have my doubts if it will not leak again. I’m going to reverse the shaft so most of the bad area won’t pass through the seal like before. It looks like maybe about 3/4” will pass through the seal on the closed stroke. I know it don’t take much to pinch a seal but I’ll try it.
The way it came off
BF499DDB-AADA-4F0C-87E2-3F44DE24201E.jpeg

After I reversed the shaft
5063D155-86E3-4E8A-B4DE-4817C7A82804.jpeg

Started the day yesterday with injections in my back to deaden some nerves to stop the back pain. Went home and started working on a small water leak under the bathroom vanity. Thought it was another pin hole like I had a couple years ago under the other bathroom sink between the vanity floor and house floor. Finally found this one was at the PEX to compression fitting. Seal gave out after 38+years. No one in town had anything. When the run the water lines they did not believe in any shut offs anywhere. One main one at the main line coming in. Every time I work on something I put in shutoffs now. Going after parts this morning to fix the leak and will put two more shutoffs in the lines that feed that bathroom. Any future issues with that area can be shut off without shutting the whole house down. The back injections worked for 2 hours just like they were supposed to. Back for another try in 2 weeks. If that works will have the nerves burned.

Don’t you love it when contractors don’t think about the other guy or in your case the convenience of a shutoff valve to the home owner. I did a kitchen years ago their shutoff valve to the house was the main by the road about 1800 ft away from the house. Needless to say the first thing I did was installed a main valve inside the basement.

Is two hours of relief all you have until your next injection? My BIL had that done to his ankle. They tried everything he actually got addicted to some pain medication for that but went cold turkey to get off of them. He started to have the injections for awhile then they cut his nerves to kill the pain. It worked good for him and that’s been about twelve years ago. Sorry to hear about your difficulties Roger. Praying all goes well.

Back