What are you currently working on??

Same here Noel I missed that too until Roger brought it up. I normally focus in on others shop areas one mans junk is another mans treasure as they say. We should start a shop thread just what our shops or work areas look like or your ideas to make your area better. I had one on the other forum that got a lot of attention but it hasn’t been updated in awhile.

Boy, some people give the pictures the eagle eye to see what’s there, hehe, I would not have noticed that. But once I got looking, there’s quite a collection of goodies on display out front of the house.

Noel
I'm one of them, Noel! I love looking at the subject of the pictures, but also study the background!

Looks like a bumper with a bumper sticker on it
I forgot to say you "Nailed" it Jim! Sorry!

DAC

Same here Noel I missed that too until Roger brought it up. I normally focus in on others shop areas one mans junk is another mans treasure as they say. We should start a shop thread just what our shops or work areas look like or your ideas to make your area better. I had one on the other forum that got a lot of attention but it hasn’t been updated in awhile.
I have asked to start a "Tool" thread and got no response from Admin. I really like the idea of a "shop" thread too!

My shop is always trashed too Roger, so don't be ashamed about clutter! I know Jim keeps a very orderly, clean shop!

DAC

Got the trip to the scrap yard done today. I didn't know it but the yard I go to is normally closed on Mondays! Gate was open though so I pulled in!

I have known the old guy that owns it for around 40 years. My wife took care of their kids back in the late 1970's at a day care center she worked at back then. He still remembers I was a sign painter back in the day. Anyway he was there catching up on some yard chores and let me dump anyway.

$91, which included $22 of aluminum cans. Aluminum is still only a quarter a pound, but it will still buy me a case of beer.

Hooked up to leave.
DSCN3835.JPG

Final resting place, before the junk gets shipped to China I suppose.
IMG_0589.JPG

The dang jack for the trailer tilt needed oil and I didn't check it before I left! Had to shove the stuff off by hand.

Then I contacted a couple of old friends that I promised to work on their LT this fall/winter. Went back home and loaded up some tools and a battery and took off again since it wasn't real bad weather, just windy. Trailer was still hooked up so better get it done. Got that tractor to fire right up, but the RF tire wouldn't hold air. Discovered the hard way that the blades spin even when in the off position on the lever. No no one lost any limbs or anything, but I did get a piece of rope caught on the blades. Got the front wheels on the trailer ramp and used a come-along to pull it the rest of the way. Got home and had another wheel and tire for the RF. Used the overhead crane still sitting outside raised the tractor, unwrapped that rope and swapped out the wheel and tire. Jacked up the trailer and it slowly rolled off on it's own. It's sitting there running in that second pic. Then I got the wise idea to do some mowing! Mowed about 20 feet and it popped and shut off. Lost ignition. Oh well.
DSCN3836.JPG DSCN3837.JPG

Fired up the trusty old MF8E and pulled it into the shop with a chain. Has to unhook and push it in where it needed to go. The hydro "unlock" lever doesn't work either so the back wheels didn't want to turn.
DSCN3838.JPG DSCN3840.JPG

When it was running, it ran great. Definitely don't like the deck height lever also controlling the deck off-on. Hydro seemed to work fine. Time to do a little research and see if it will be worth repairing for them.

DAC

Some of those mowers were that way. Lower the deck and it tightens the blade belt to engage the blades. I think there was supposed to be a blade brake with that set up but been to long since I messed with one.
Yeah Roger, I think that's what this one is supposed to do, but sitting for 5 years has got the system messed up. Belts might be stiff, brake might not grip right. Will try to find out what's wrong with the engine first since it died after running so well, then work on that deck. Sure glad no one got hurt with the blades spinning in the deck UP and blade off position!

DAC

So, you didn’t take home more than you left at the scrap yard Doug. Hehe. I know people who do that.

And I’ll have to be more careful with my picture taking. Hehe

Noel
I wasn't in the part of the yard where the "good" stuff is, Noel, although there was a nice piece of what looked like 2x2 angle iron about 12 feet long! This salvage yard is a "u-pullit" type junkyard too. That part is divided from the general scrap. There were stacks of crushed cars around, all what I call "newer" cars. This old guy puts all the "old" stuff in a different area and it's part of the "u-pullit". I got a lot of pieces for the '55 GMC way back around 2011-2012 out there.

DAC

I didn't really work on much tonight at all. Did go out into the shop bay and just for the heck of it fired up that MTD/Gardenway hydro LT that lost spark yesterday on me. The dang thing fired off nicely, idled smooth and revved well! Blades didn't fix themselves though, still spinning in the off position. Too much wind to open the overhead door so only let it run a couple of minutes.

Then I figured why not try the MF1450 since it had to be pushed into the shop the other day with a weak spark problem that surfaced hauling a 250 pound Chevy short block. It fired right off too! It was also the first time I saw the amp gauge charging at about 3 amps! I still haven't cleaned the block to frame ground so maybe that's what it needs.

Going to have to figure out why they fix themselves for a while then quit all of a sudden!

DAC

Got the neighbors 2011 Polaris RZR 170 back over here. Wouldn't start. Found out the fuel pump gave out. New pump will be here today, but it's raining. I'll get that on maybe tomorrow and pressure wash it so I can change the oil, new plug, fuel filter, and air filter. This thing is filthy back there. Lots of fine dirt from riding it.

No tractor work tonight after the day job. I ordered a new printer last week and it came in today. Hooked it up and it was a fairly painless process getting it to communicate with the w10 computer.

There isn't many single function printers out there any more it seemed like. I have a scanner I like real well and don't need wireless all-in-one bullshirt!

Printed a couple pics and it seems like it will be adequate for our needs.

White one went in the garbage. Black one is new.
DSCN3842.JPG DSCN3843.JPG DSCN3844.JPG

DAC

no tractor work here today either.... put a new alternator in an '07 Ford Explorer Sport Trac... I dont generally like working on anything that new but it seems I made the right un-educated guess. Lol... I was a licensed mech in the early 80s but there is far too much crap under the hood these days for me.

No tractor work tonight after the day job. I ordered a new printer last week and it came in today. Hooked it up and it was a fairly painless process getting it to communicate with the w10 computer.

There isn't many single function printers out there any more it seemed like. I have a scanner I like real well and don't need wireless all-in-one bullshirt!

Printed a couple pics and it seems like it will be adequate for our needs.

White one went in the garbage. Black one is new.
View attachment 44090 View attachment 44091 View attachment 44092

DAC
I think we are going to need one soon also It’s lasted ten years or better so not complaining.

I think we are going to need one soon also It’s lasted ten years or better so not complaining.
That's real good life from a printer, Jim! Your printer definitely earned it's keep! That white one was around 5-6 years old but it was 30 bucks new so a real cheapie! Those days are long gone.

DAC

Back