What are you currently working on??

Had the two latest cast iron finds in the lye tank overnight. Gave them a good scrubbing with SS scrub pad this morning and put them in the electrolysis tank. Just removed a bunch of the white foam off the top and added some hot water/powdered soap to the mix. Should be ready for the final cleaning and seasoning in the morning some time. Changing oil in the Ranger first after chores.

That's how we ship our smaller units at work, we have 2- 30 gal containers of 2 part foam and a special gun that mixes them as you spray. We have 6' wide plastic sheets we lay over and them spray foam on top and then seal. Doesn't take much, too much and you can't close lids and have to cut some off. Nice in the winter as it's an exothermic reaction keeps your hands warm, but, it will almost burn you it gets so hot.
Hey Marty, haven't seen you around here for awhile. Hope all is well!

DAC

Got back to working on the JohnDeere 38 mower deck. After removing the deck and cover I found the sources of the deck noise. The two idler pulley were almost seized up. And the drive pulley bearing was growling a lot. I had the idler pulleys already and replaced them. Once Ifound the part number for the drive pulley bearing a trip to John Deere was needed. I thought for sure that the bearing would be hard to get. Turns out that John Deere uses that same bearing for several mower decks and implements. They had a bunch in stock.
While everything was undone I used a 1/2 drill to spin the spindles and blades. The drill made more noise than anything else. Blades are in good shape and fairly sharp.
On the early 38 decks the drive pulley bearing is a press fit into the pulley and into the deck. After soaking in PB Blaster overnight and judicious use of a BFH they came loose from each other. On later models the bearing is retained to the deck with a roll pin. The new bearing I got was the new style with a hole for the roll pin but the collar on the deck didn’t have a hole and the shaft on the new bearing was a loose fit in the collar. After pressing the new bearing into the pulley I put the bearing into the deck and tack welded it on the bottom. Put on a new blue belt and replaced the cover.
Replaced the deck on the tractor and it sounds like a new one.
I may or may not tear all this apart and repaint this winter. I will at least lube everything, change tranny fluid and repack the wheel bearings. It has the original tires that hold air but are weather cracking. I have replacements that may go on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0863.jpeg
    IMG_0863.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0865.jpeg
    IMG_0865.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0867.jpeg
    IMG_0867.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0869.jpeg
    IMG_0869.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0870.jpeg
    IMG_0870.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0871.jpeg
    IMG_0871.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Got back to working on the JohnDeere 38 mower deck. After removing the deck and cover I found the sources of the deck noise. The two idler pulley were almost seized up. And the drive pulley bearing was growling a lot. I had the idler pulleys already and replaced them. Once Ifound the part number for the drive pulley bearing a trip to John Deere was needed. I thought for sure that the bearing would be hard to get. Turns out that John Deere uses that same bearing for several mower decks and implements. They had a bunch in stock.
While everything was undone I used a 1/2 drill to spin the spindles and blades. The drill made more noise than anything else. Blades are in good shape and fairly sharp.
On the early 38 decks the drive pulley bearing is a press fit into the pulley and into the deck. After soaking in PB Blaster overnight and judicious use of a BFH they came loose from each other. On later models the bearing is retained to the deck with a roll pin. The new bearing I got was the new style with a hole for the roll pin but the collar on the deck didn’t have a hole and the shaft on the new bearing was a loose fit in the collar. After pressing the new bearing into the pulley I put the bearing into the deck and tack welded it on the bottom. Put on a new blue belt and replaced the cover.
Replaced the deck on the tractor and it sounds like a new one.
I may or may not tear all this apart and repaint this winter. I will at least lube everything, change tranny fluid and repack the wheel bearings. It has the original tires that hold air but are weather cracking. I have replacements that may go on it.
Nice writeup on deck repair, Rick. The deck looks almost identical to the one on my flat fender. I had to replace one flat pulley.

DAC

I thought I would bump this thread to show you what I’m working on right now. I recently had eye surgery with several restrictions except rest. Coffee, fudge, and watching Gunsmoke.
View attachment 77412
Nice way to "work" on recovery from the surgery, Jim! We have fudge coming out our ears! My oldest sister makes fudge for everyone for Christmas. She sends more than 2 of us can eat in a year without gaining 20 pounds each! It tastes great and is so good with morning coffee!

DAC

I thought I would bump this thread to show you what I’m working on right now. I recently had eye surgery with several restrictions except rest. Coffee, fudge, and watching Gunsmoke.
View attachment 77412

Mmmm… fudge. Look at that huh, even a Gunsmoke mug to go with watching the show. Hope you get well soon and have a speedy recovery!

No fudge here either but I did get 3 - 1# fruit cakes from a good place down in SC. Have about 2/3 rds. of one left. One we ate and the other went to the neighbor. Would like to make my own but the ingredients come in such big bags have way to much left over and nothing to use it up in. Bag of 2 cups and takes 1/2 cup.

No fudge here either but I did get 3 - 1# fruit cakes from a good place down in SC. Have about 2/3 rds. of one left. One we ate and the other went to the neighbor. Would like to make my own but the ingredients come in such big bags have way to much left over and nothing to use it up in. Bag of 2 cups and takes 1/2 cup.
That’s funny Roger you mentioned fruit cake. We were talking about making one this year. Carol use to make them all the time for Christmas. Like you mentioned the ingredients aren’t available in smaller quantities. If you know of any that are good I think that would be the best.

Back