What are you currently working on??

This is getting to be an expensive year.
One of those domino effect years where everything around me is falling apart.
The AC is dead in the house, it's 25 yo, and it's gonna have to be replaced with something that I can get freon for in the future, I ain't paying for it to be recharged when it might last the season or might last a week
now this tiller ( something I fortunately haven't had to use much since I had it)
For what a rental would cost I have a line on a TB Horse for a good deal instead. Can use it and resell next week or next month... See many on CL for alot more than asking price on this one. I talked to the seller last night and it sounds like a really good one. Taking a 1/2 day off to go after it today.
And won't have to worry about borrowing anything and potentially having that break and then having to fix or replace that for whoever I would borrow from... I hate borrowing things like that for this reason.
Not sure if I'm gonna put the tractor mount tiller aside for future fix or put it in the scrap pile yet.
Leaning towards scrap pile since I don't do a garden and it's not something I use very often anyway.... I've got way less in it than I've seen them go for anyway. And for something that sits way more than not...... And my list of projects that are more important than fixing something I rarely use is plenty long as it is ...

And as has been typical the last handful of years my wife is gonna be missing at least a month of work again, starting in a month/ for heel spurs surgery, mom is in hospice, what next
We slept in the camper last night in the driveway for the AC, will again for at least the next few nights. I just came in from there and it's 81* in the house and it's only 5:45 in the morning... All the ceiling fans are going for the 2 cats.
Last year we got to go camping once a month during the warm months, a record for us. We've been out once this year and we're talking about a weekend outing just before the wife's foot surgery and the 4 days we have paid for in October already and that's gonna be it for that this season, about 1/2 the number of outings as last year. I ain't going anywhere once the wife is in a boot after her foot gets fixed. She is suggesting it but I can't do that to her ..
Hang in there DT last year was like that for us. We had all kinds of expenses, water heater, furnace and heat pump replaced, head gaskets blew on Carols Jeep, not to mention the problems I had keeping a grass cutter and tiller operating without having to work on it.

I didn't actually do the work yet, but maybe tomorrow. Got these 3/4" roller bearing thrust washers in the mail today.
View attachment 82891

Going to try that "poor man's power steering" on the Craftsman GT5000. I have always thought that for having a hand hydro it steered too hard for one hand. I could do it but didn't like it. Loree stole the tractor while I was out of town and mowed the yard. She had a hard time working the hydro lever and steering at the same time. Said her left arm hurt pretty bad the next day!

Then the MF1450 will get a set too if there is room on the spindles. It steers fine until I put the front weights on it. Gets to be quite a chore then. At least it is a foot hydro so both hands are available.

Have a couple extra sets too if needed elsewhere.

DAC
I’ve done the poor man’s steering on three tractors with hood results. My concern too is how to keep them clean.

I’ve done the poor man’s steering on three tractors with hood results. My concern too is how to keep them clean.
Felt better when I mowed Friday. Will probably just blow the debris off the outside and use a needle to pump some fresh grease into them occasionally.

Worked on the MF12G while the first part of the race was on today. Lubed the zirks and inspected things. The lock tip with the 90* fitting in it makes it where I can get to the steering box and deck spindles. Would have to pull the deck to get at the steering box before this method.

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

I welded a crack on the rear deck roller mount a few years ago. I see now, the crack just moved to the outside of the weld. Looks like I will have to clean that up and lay another glob of weld on it.

IMG_1490.jpg

I also use a needle to pump grease into the bushings on the rollers, front and rear.

There was a discussion somewhere about Predator engines. This one has been in this tractor for 8-1/2 years now. By far a superior engine than the HH120 that came out. Never needed any parts for it so far.
IMG_1491.jpg

Will do some mowing with this in a week or so but will mow a small hill in the back yard sooner as this is the only tractor that can do it due to the floating deck. The small hill is where I can back a pickup up to one side and drive a tractor into the box.

DAC

Good looking garden Marty I didn’t know you were involved in gardening. I really believe if you sit on a bucket watching beans long enough you could see them grow. I haven’t posted ours yet will be doing that soon. We had a big bean problem I hit the pole beans mixed up with the bush beans

I do garden, mostly for everyone else. This year my son and girlfriend wanted veggies and my sister wanted to plant. She never got out here so over half the garden is empty.
I've got 2 tomatoes plants that were fine yesterday, today they are wilted and look like they are dying, not sure what is going on, plenty of water.

20240630_190838.jpg
20240630_190858.jpg
20240630_190957.jpg

Not sure if I mentioned owning the Aldi push mower before.
Made in Poland, model XSS51K.
What do you do when the blade gets bent due to one of the kids mowing the front ditch at the culvert. You cry cause looking up the blade, it has to be imported for $89.
:oops:

I happen on some other UK website listing universal blades. One said Oregon had 3 types being in the 19-7/8 thru 20. Well, the blade is METRIC. It had to be minimum 505mm or max 508mm. So no more than 20-inches.

Menards has a 20-inch universal for $22+tax. I got it with the 11% rebate going on right now.

Yep fit perfectly.
20240618_214330.jpg

20240618_214356.jpg

Told the kids NEVER use this mower way up front, ever. This is for around the house. The Beasty LawnBoy gets that task up front. :)

I do garden, mostly for everyone else. This year my son and girlfriend wanted veggies and my sister wanted to plant. She never got out here so over half the garden is empty.
I've got 2 tomatoes plants that were fine yesterday, today they are wilted and look like they are dying, not sure what is going on, plenty of water.

View attachment 83069
View attachment 83070
View attachment 83071
My corn is now waist high and it's not the 4th yet.

20240627_202909.jpg

20240627_202817.jpg

Mine doesn't have all the green yous shows. I run the weed trimmer thru it each day right down to the dirt. :)

over at my tractor lean-to, the peppers are started.

20240627_203226.jpg

My neighbor came over to see what I'm doing tilling up my front yard. Well I had a tree taken out last year, and they left me a hell of a crater, 8-10' diameter. Leading up to this crater the whole yard sloped uphill from all directions. And that crater doesn't take into account all the divits left by (I'm guessing) some kind of outriggers as I wasn't home when the tree crew was here. They did grind the stump below ground, hence the crater. But the tree was only about 2' diameter not the 8-10' that the crater is. I'm tired of my mower getting caught and stuck around the edges of the crater. So I dug up about 1/2 of the front yard, just eyeballed approximately where the rise to the edges of the crater started and marked it off with whatever rattle can of paint I grabbed .. I'm guessing the size is about 24'x32' or so.
I did about 1/2 of that with my rear PTO tractor mount tiller, that I pulled out of some guys yard buried to the time shaft while the tractor it was connected to was buried to the axles in dirt. I have no idea how long it had sat before I got it. I'd only used that tiller a few times before I tried to do this job with it and that was a couple of years ago, as well. So it has done aLOT of sitting in the elements over the years. At about the halfway point of this till job, the secondary chain busted a link but once I got it apart to verify what broke I noticed alot of pitting among the other links, probably a combination of no lube(I didn't help that situation as I didn't know there was a lube point TO lube that chain, i found it by default as I tore it down a couple of weeks ago when it first broke.
I went to CL and bought a Horse for what I thought was fair (compared to others of the same model that were listed at the time) but I got it home, put it right in the dirt and it had like NO power. I found an exact twin to the original engine by luck, and quite cheaply to boot that neither me or the seller knew whether it ran.
A new set of points and condenser, plus the starter and carb from the original and it started easy and ran decent. Even if it did double as a mosquito fogger.
Well yesterday I ran that tiller about 3 hours and today I ran it about 11 hours (solid!) and finally done. This includes re tilling the ground I did 2 weeks ago. I tilled it parallel to the driveway first, as I'd started with the tractor tiller, starting where the big one busted. Then I went crossways and re tiller the whole thing again.
I can't tell you how many times I killed it, how many times I launched it, how many times I held on for dear life while it danced on a root til it got past it. I mean a few times my feet were completely sunk in the previous tilled soil as it pulled me and I hung onto the handles to keep it from launching.... At which time I'd back up to just before it launched and dig in and HANG ON..
The old ads showing someone walking along one of these barely hanging on with one hand definitely had to have been staged at best, or at least re tilling previously broken ground. No sod busting, no rocks, no roots. The tree was about in the center of that area, and the swipe about 2 tiller widths from the edge on the side in the pic and 2 tiller widths from the near side had to have been the worst for launching and catching on roots. There was a couple spots dead in the middle (probably caught on the stump remnants) that also gave me fits.
The weird part was that where the tractor tiller broke was probably the least root infested part of the job, about inline with where I m at in the pic but closer to the sidewalk end... Well after I had already been thru the worst of the roots, like a couple of tiller widths away...
I've about got it raked out, it got dark on me. Hopefully I can finish that rake out tomorrow after work before it crusts again,(supposed to rain Tues) and seed ..... I had another neighbor ask what I was planting/ growing..... I think I confused him with my answer... Kentucky bluegrass, fescue and maybe a little bit of ryegrass

Attachments

• IMG_20240630_201226932_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240630_201226932_HDR.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 8
My corn is now waist high and it's not the 4th yet.

Mine doesn't have all the green yous shows. I run the weed trimmer thru it each day right down to the dirt. :)
the farm up the road has corn that should start tassling soon, it's 6 to 7' high already.

My garden is extra green, I was on vacation for 2 weeks and haven't been able to do weed control.

Last edited:
My one garden of vining plants, Big Moon pumpkins, some green pumpkins? ?, and some mini pumpkins. Most decorations and jack-O-Lanterns for the grandkids and neighbors' grandkids. Other small garden has 3 nice size tomato plants doing very well, several broccoli and cauliflower plants, some coming back from darn rabbits, and two rows of onions that are buried in 12-14" high weeds. Weeds took over once the rains started and could never dry up enough to get in there to do anything. Had it all cleaned up good once, then the rains came. Going to spray the onions. I they survive I'll call it a win. It they don't I will still call it a wind as I gotr rid of the weeds.

Back