What are you currently working on??

I spent some of the holiday working on carbs doing cleaning and rebuilds. I do not recommend using Simple Green on aluminum inside an ultrasonic cleaner. Parts come out darker gray and the SG left a whitish coating on stuff, lesson learned.

I got the Solex carb rebuilt, but tore a small Oring on the mixture jet so gotta find one of those, probably order a viton kit with various sizes.

Also redoing the Walbro LUA on the FF24, also need to order a rebuild kit for it, but it's clean and ready to be put back together.

Before; Solex Pict 34 carb
20240704_115202.jpg
20240704_122749.jpg

After
20240705_154518.jpg20240705_154524.jpg

Walbro LUA
Before
20240705_130044.jpg
20240705_130050.jpg

After
20240705_155059.jpg
20240705_155105.jpg

I guess there was a time when Ford engineers designed small engines :mad:

20240704_181257.jpg

I've noticed that about simple green in ultrasonic cleaners on carbs, the darkening doesn't bother me but the ones that come out with the white powder crap on them does. I thought I might be running the temp too high for that to happen.
If not simple green, then what do I use in the water in the ultrasonic when cleaning carbs

I've noticed that about simple green in ultrasonic cleaners on carbs, the darkening doesn't bother me but the ones that come out with the white powder crap on them does. I thought I might be running the temp too high for that to happen.
If not simple green, then what do I use in the water in the ultrasonic when cleaning carbs

I dunno, gotta figure that out. I know the super purple stuff also darkens aluminum.
I've have used pinesol cleaner in the past with good soaking results, may try that again in the sonic cleaner.

Decided to quit and watch the race :rolleyes:

The fuel lines needed replaced on the FF24, of course everything is rusted, almost every bolt broke removing. All kinds of garbage under gas tank and seat.
I think I found my fuel issue, tank just happened to be empty for some reason and pickup area had all kinds of garbage around it. Found that gas tank fitting bushing is readily available so pulling it out, cleaning and installing a new bushing along with lines.

20240706_145454.jpg
20240706_150257.jpg

Remember when you could go buy a 199 dollar dish washer at Lowe’s and it last 10 years? It wasn’t that many years ago.

When we first moved into this house it had a leaky sears that was probably 20 years old. Put a new whatever brand was cheapest from Lowe’s. It last from 2012 to 2022 being used a ton with all the kids.

In 22 I bought a new one. It’s broken 7 times in 2 years. I actually fought with the warranty program and threatened legal action that they just refunded my money. We do not have a dish washer now. Just my hands.

Yesterday I sold the old Snapper I had listed on Marketplace and C/L. Craigslist was a bust. Marketplace gave me about 30 hits of which 3 seemed to be legitimate. A very young couple were the first to actually show up. They were city kids who had recently moved to a small place in the country. Neither one had ever used a rider. I explained how everything worked and they each mowed part of the alley. Both were happy with it and the price. I explained everything I knew about it and had done to it.
I stressed to them the importance of shutting off the fuel line and why. Also the gas tank has a manual valve on it to vent the tank and needed to be open before using the mower. They didn’t understand why until I gave them an example of a drinking straw and putting your finger on the end, and how you could lift it and would hold the liquid in the straw until you moved your finger. She grasped the concept fight away. He was realistic about its age and prior use and no gaurantee and paid out the cash. After he loaded the mower she went over to hlm and made sure he shut off the fuel line and the vent on the tank. I get the feeling she won’t let him forget.

It was a little amusing, but I also remember how dumb I was when I first got into gas engines and things mechanical. So I wish them well and good luck!

Yesterday I sold the old Snapper I had listed on Marketplace and C/L. Craigslist was a bust. Marketplace gave me about 30 hits of which 3 seemed to be legitimate. A very young couple were the first to actually show up. They were city kids who had recently moved to a small place in the country. Neither one had ever used a rider. I explained how everything worked and they each mowed part of the alley. Both were happy with it and the price. I explained everything I knew about it and had done to it.
I stressed to them the importance of shutting off the fuel line and why. Also the gas tank has a manual valve on it to vent the tank and needed to be open before using the mower. They didn’t understand why until I gave them an example of a drinking straw and putting your finger on the end, and how you could lift it and would hold the liquid in the straw until you moved your finger. She grasped the concept fight away. He was realistic about its age and prior use and no gaurantee and paid out the cash. After he loaded the mower she went over to hlm and made sure he shut off the fuel line and the vent on the tank. I get the feeling she won’t let him forget.

It was a little amusing, but I also remember how dumb I was when I first got into gas engines and things mechanical. So I wish them well and good luck!
Good story Rick. New buyers of old stuff are amusing. I have had so much fun trying to encourage and help folks to choose some of the old classic American made iron . They are shocked when I tell them that most of my stuff is older than them.

Several years ago I had a gear drive tractor mower for sale. Couple showed up to look at it. After explaining several things about the machine i drove it around, moved some with it etc. His turn now. After coaching he got it started. Could not figure out or understand why the pedal to make it "go" was on the left and not the right. Had a hard time figuring out the sequence of putting it in gear with the clutch down and letting the clutch out easy. Either wanted to dump the clutch or try to put it in gear with the clutch engaged. I finally told him if he wanted to tear the machine up he could do it after he paid me, but not before and I pulled the key. He finally paid me, I loaded it on his trailer, told him good luck and sent him packing. Some people are not meant to be around anything mechanical. He needed a reel type mower.

Spray a few weeds along a fence row first this morning. Morning glory and needles. Then will run the tiller through the bigger garden as it should be dry enough by now. All vining crops in that area and they are starting to send out runners so need to get it done and the preen put down. Next on the list will be to run to tow and pick up some 12' flashing. Putting new guttering on with gutter screens. Pulled all the old off so I could get the facia painted before the new gutter went on. This left a small space between the deck roof and the facia where the water from the house and run right down onto the enclosed deck floor. Got it about dried ou again so goin to put some flashing up before it rains again. That should get the gutter guy here quick. This will hold me till noon tomorrow when I can go back to rest mode. ;)

I picked up a sweet Echo 68cc 37" bar chainsaw a few years back.. I chopped up a large tree trunk and shut it off. Went to start it back up and it was seizing last month. Thinking it was the piston & rings I bought a rebuild kit. When I pulled the jug everything was fine.. I had to look deeper to get at the trouble.. I pulled it all apart so I could check the lower end but I couldn't get the case apart.. I bought a $28 separator and took the thing apart tonight. The flywheel side bearing was the problem.. Just ordered new ones so I can get that beast back in action! I should have taken pics huh?

Several years ago I had a gear drive tractor mower for sale. Couple showed up to look at it. After explaining several things about the machine i drove it around, moved some with it etc. His turn now. After coaching he got it started. Could not figure out or understand why the pedal to make it "go" was on the left and not the right. Had a hard time figuring out the sequence of putting it in gear with the clutch down and letting the clutch out easy. Either wanted to dump the clutch or try to put it in gear with the clutch engaged. I finally told him if he wanted to tear the machine up he could do it after he paid me, but not before and I pulled the key. He finally paid me, I loaded it on his trailer, told him good luck and sent him packing. Some people are not meant to be around anything mechanical. He needed a reel type mower.
Sounds like my neighbor.. He's a great guy but dumb when it comes to power equipment. I've been patient with him but at times my patience wore thin and I growled at him.. He wants to learn but my patience as a teacher has limits and he sure can stretch them!

Back