What are you currently working on??

The guy I got my tractor from took the top door hinges completely off in the summer when he removed the doors for the season because he was a tall man and he said he kept cracking his head on them when he walked by. He tells me he can picture them wired together with the bolts through them, hanging on a nail "somewhere" (been there!). lol
Because the cab tapers in about half-way up, the doors had to be bent to match, which means the top hinge is much further out than the bottom one to maintain the same axis.
Started mocking up some new ones this morning, in case buddy's memory doesn't spark before the snow flies.

Attachments

• 20191125_153525.jpg
    20191125_153525.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191125_153535.jpg
    20191125_153535.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191125_153555.jpg
    20191125_153555.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 6
After getting the wife's Heep Liberty all fixed up with new suspension parts she calls this morning and says it's making a lot of noise and fluid dumping out of front driver's side, that is only one thing. I get there, PS fluid everywhere. I put some in and it's dumping out behind pulley. Well pump is shot so decided to drive it home. I made it to the end of her parking lot and it makes horrible noises so shut it down, pulley is sitting at an angle. Called AAA and after I get it home I removed belt, pulley and shaft fell out. Looks like a joy to get out, well pump looks easy, hoses are are a pain.

20191125_120034.jpg

Also fabricated and put a new Lexan windshield in last night. The original blew in and broke on the highway the day I brought it home. I should have strapped a piece of plywood over it as it was never intended for 120km/h lol
None too bright!

Attachments

• 20191124_134422.jpg
    20191124_134422.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191124_134435.jpg
    20191124_134435.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 7
After getting the wife's Heep Liberty all fixed up with new suspension parts she calls this morning and says it's making a lot of noise and fluid dumping out of front driver's side, that is only one thing. I get there, PS fluid everywhere. I put some in and it's dumping out behind pulley. Well pump is shot so decided to drive it home. I made it to the end of her parking lot and it makes horrible noises so shut it down, pulley is sitting at an angle. Called AAA and after I get it home I removed belt, pulley and shaft fell out. Looks like a joy to get out, well pump looks easy, hoses are are a pain.

View attachment 20271
I had a Liberty for 10 years and loved it. I did my water pump around 200,000kms.
Good luck. The wife will love you for it...maybe?

My 97 GMC has been cranking over slow the last few days, so I figure that the battery is weak. I took it into NAPA where I work and it tested iffy, so figured winters coming, so got a new one. Get home, install it, same thing. Pulled the starter, probably original, and the cable lug broke off right away, the ceramic on the solenoid broke. So off and got a new starter, repair lug. Soldered that in, installed starter. Lots of fun....Good thing I get a decent discount at work.

I had a Liberty for 10 years and loved it. I did my water pump around 200,000kms.
Good luck. The wife will love you for it...maybe?
Ours has 142k miles, my wife loves the thing, I hate it. It's starting to really nickle/dime with the repairs needed. Looks like in the spring I will be tearing the top of motor apart and replacing all the valve seals and timing chain. It's starting to leaking a lot of oil from intake or timing chain cover.

Ours has 142k miles, my wife loves the thing, I hate it.

Sounds like around here only around here that would describe the Durango. While it is in good shape and not rusty, (because it came from the south) I just finished a whole rebuild of it.this thing only has 258k on it, (you read that right) has the 360 (5.9) at least because if it had the 4.7 I wouldn't have even bought it. Have owned about 6 years, about half that time it has been my garage ornament, at that time I over hauled both the engine and transmission at the same time, that 1st replacement engine went 6 miles and with break in had a total of 3 hours on it. It was doomed because I bought a set of brand new heads for it (NOT rebuilt/Reman-- NEW NEW.) and the place I got them from set up the valve guide clearance too tight, and #4 exhaust stuck open and kissed the Piston. So I got pissed and decided it could sit.
So now since taking those heads to the machine shop and paying more for them to do a valve job on them (not where they came from) I dropped them on to another short block, I bought an engine via CL that had half the miles of the body, and decided to go thru it and re gasket it, replace freeze plugs and timing chain while it was out, and I put my new heads on it.
Since it's back running again, i decided to go thru the rest of it.... Brand new leaf springs, 4 shocks, new tires, and all new suspension bushings throughout the front end, went with energy suspension polyurethane ones and sent it for an alignment.
Now to put it back on the lift and unload all these spray bombs full of truck bed coating on the underside before the weather turns to crap.

Pulled the shifter out of the 613 to get it ready to weld Pulled what is left of the shifter lever out of the housing and cleaned the old grease out and put it back together . By this time my knees are hurting so bad i can hardly walk. If the weather is nice tomorrow ill go back out and get a little more done. Didnt get any pics today but will try and get some takin

Spent a couple hours working on the snow blowers at church. Our Ariens had a slight surge at high rpms so pulled carb and cleaned it, also changed the oil.
My pastor found s 6.5hp craftsman sitting on curb last year and brought it to the church. Oil had gas in it so drained that right off, it was so thin, about a 3rd ran down frame and all other our barn floor. :mad:
I pulled carb, cleaned it and looked at plug, it was pretty black from being rich. There is not air fuel adjustment so not sure why it's running rich. I cleaned carb, filled with oil and it runs pretty good. So now we have 2 snowblowers for church use.
i hate those non adjustable carbies and most of them are plastic to boot

View attachment 20271
you seem to be having a bad run of breakages atm too

on saturday gone blew the rear seal on the power brake booster on my car , could not get one on the weekend in the city so i quit work , packed up to go bush after my son brought my other car around to use that he has been wearing out to find that nothing much worked on it either .

like indicators , hazard lights , seat adjustments, mirror adjusts and only half the fuses in it ,done a quick test around to find a short in the trailer light plug in the car. ended up driving it the way it was

green RH turn wire was resting on the earth wire , which in turn burnt out the hazard switch , finally went bush on sunday morning got a power booster out of another donor car, 1991 commodore sedan for my regular driver and brake pedal rubber while i was at it

then started hunting bits to fix the other car i drove out there 2000 VT commodore olympic games special edition ,courtesy car ,a hand full of fuses and a hazard light switch just to start , that fixed the light's problems then other bits to replace like gas cap cover , replug the seats adjust wiring , and find screws to remount the side cover on the driver's seat that holds the seat control lever , put oil in the power steer reservoir , water in the overflow return bottle and the wiper washer tank , even had to wash the rear window to see out of it

so much for the Son doing the general maintenance for the use of the car for the last 12 months

Shane

Got an old Coleman Catilytic heater, 3-5K btu. Would not stay burning. Got it tore apart and just as I figured. Top of the wick was hard as a rock. Carb cleaner and lots of soaking got 90% of the carbon out of the wick. Back together and still would no stay lit. Finally turned it up side down till the whole catalytic crown was wet. Set it right side up, turned the wick clear up and lit it. Black smoke and flames about 4' high (outside of course) When it settled back down I let it burn for over an hour putting out all kinds of heat. Should be ready to go for the deer blind.

Getting prepared for the blizzard. Warnings went in effect at 6pm mountain time. There's been a freezing drizzle off and on all day making roads very bad. There is snow falling now but no substantial wind---yet! Took most of my flashlights and the Coleman stove, lantern and fuel into the house in case the power goes out. Got the snowblower ready for the patio and sidewalk then got the MF8E ready to push snow. Hope I don't have to use them but "they" are very certain that we are going to get pounded. I can always put the blade on the MF12G if needed too.

DAC

ready for blizzard 11-29-19.JPG

I didn't like the crinkle in the Kohler label so I removed it and made it back to a peal and stick once I clean and paint the engine plastic shrouds.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 6
Got an old Coleman Catilytic heater, 3-5K btu. Would not stay burning. Got it tore apart and just as I figured. Top of the wick was hard as a rock. Carb cleaner and lots of soaking got 90% of the carbon out of the wick. Back together and still would no stay lit. Finally turned it up side down till the whole catalytic crown was wet. Set it right side up, turned the wick clear up and lit it. Black smoke and flames about 4' high (outside of course) When it settled back down I let it burn for over an hour putting out all kinds of heat. Should be ready to go for the deer blind.
I got 2 of those to try and get running.... one that I have tried with already and gave up on for the time being is a "Coleman for Sears" one of tehse that turned into a big fireball the last time I tried to light it. about a 1972 model by numbers on bottom. I also have a later 70s one that just plain wont light, that hasn't been the fireball yet, but it too needs attention. I have about 10 Coleman lanterns to go thru this winter too. from my newest (early 1990s model) that appears to just need the feed tube tightened up under the mount plate for the globe/ to a few that need new leathers (pump up plungers---I bought a pack of 10 on EPay over teh summer so I should be OK there...). I have a 1973 one, that I don't think has ever had a set of mantels tied onto it... I think I'm gonna leave that one, that way. have a 1961 Coleman stove that I think was only ever lit once, given to me by a neighbor. I have 3-4 other Coleman stoves to use.....
somewhere, I have pix of having 7 or 8 of my lanterns lit, at once, hanging on Shepherds hooks and my clothesline poles, around 2 makeshift outside work benches (a sheet of plywood over sawhorses) in my backyard, when I was working on my camper, had parts scattered on these benches and trying to get it all fixed up, right after I got this particular camper, and just before my maiden voyage with it.... now, many of these same lanterns are those that won't light on me.....

While my hi mile Durango seems good to go, I have a Ford headache that I am trying to deal with..... a 2008 Grand Marquis with a leaky gas tank...
no way no how, a police package vehicle. The aftermarket shows 2 possible gas tanks for that year. NO local parts store except NAPA, shows anything available for a 2008 model. a "with" and a "without" police package version. I ordered the "without" version. from Rockauto. It is wrong. No way to tell until tank is out, differences can't be told until then. Been on the phone with the tank manufacturer's tech line, they are absolutely no help. Went junking today for my "black Friday" shopping looking for a solution that wont involve me "eating" the price of the right one. Ive been to Ford, they wont talk to me w/o the VIN. When I give them the VIN it comes up with the same thing as what came out, no options. Ford themselves PN crosses to the police package tank, though when pulling up the VIN of this car, it shows every option it was built with and nowhere does it say police on it. not my car, I went to owner's house after the tank straps broke, and that left him stuck in driveway, I discovered a pinhole where driver side strap used to rest on tank, ratchet strapped it up and told him to get it over here. That took 5 weeks to happen, no returns to Rockauto after a month.....
junkyard search proves all Clown Vics/ Town Cars/ Grand Marquis that I found within +/- a couple years either way, police package or not (and they had a bunch to look at) are all the same. I had to go back to a 2003 to find this rollover valve that would fit this tank. but that one has 2 nipples on it, I don't believe there was ever anything on the smaller one, but can't prove. if I put it together with the junkyard valve, do I cap the unused nipple or is there a valid reason it needs to stay open? I only took a hose off of the 1 nipple, at the junkyard.

the difference is one has just a straight hole in it for this "anti overfill valve", and the other has tabs like an oil cap hole in a valve cover would, and that valve twists in like an oil filler cap would. I couldn't find a 2007-2008 or 2009, with what is being shown as the "non police" tank Not one. in lots of crawling around wet muddy gravel. nothing newer than 2003 that I could find had this style valve. I need this POS OUTTA HERE!!!!!

Back