What did you do with your tractor today?

I tested out the reel mowers that came with my Farmall over the weekend. I just greased them, didn’t sharpen them or anything yet, but they worked great. I just hooked up 3, which is 60”. I have two more yet that would make it 72”. They worked great, but not really practical for our yard. Too many tight spaces and obstacles to mow around. It was fun though. I had to use use the 1810 to mow the areas I couldn’t get to. Usually it takes me about an hour and a half to mow the whole yard. With these I had about 90 percent done in about 40 minutes, the maybe 15 minutes to finish with the 1810.
View attachment 68555View attachment 68556View attachment 68557View attachment 68558View attachment 68559
That’s a nice setup. I always wanted to do that. I have two of the rotary mowers just in case I get inspired again. Like you though it wouldn’t be too practical for me in most of the areas I cut.

Reel mowers make a nice job, for sure. But, grass should be mostly dry and not to long.
Where I use to golf, many many years ago, they used reel mowers to cut the grass on the fairways. A ford 5000 tractor would pull a set of 12 to 15 reel mowers. Was something to see. Grass flying up in the air 2 feet or more and all the mowers independently moving over the fairway. Perfect cut.
The good old days. Hehe.

Noel

Reel mowers make a nice job, for sure. But, grass should be mostly dry and not to long.
Where I use to golf, many many years ago, they used reel mowers to cut the grass on the fairways. A ford 5000 tractor would pull a set of 12 to 15 reel mowers. Was something to see. Grass flying up in the air 2 feet or more and all the mowers independently moving over the fairway. Perfect cut.
The good old days. Hehe.

Noel
I’ve seen that before too Noel. They do give the best cut but like you said ground conditions have to be good.

Got the JD110 rolling! It had a blown out LF tire and wouldn't roll. I haven't decided if this thing is worth putting money into yet so I haven't bought any tires. Was hoping to find an old tire to fit the rim that could be tubed but never ran into one. Rolled it out of the way so I can park a couple tractors in the place it was blocking.

DSCN5206.JPG DSCN5207.JPG

It had a pretty bad RR axle seal leak.

DSCN5208.JPG DSCN5209.JPG

It has a lot of front stagger in it---LOL! Couldn't get that inner bearing to pull off.

Hopefully it can come in the shop soon to see if it will run.

DAC

The guy I got it from said it's a 1969, Noel. I don't know how to date one of these though. Does the "H" mean yours is a hydro?

DAC
Doug, the 110 and 112 are gear drive, the 120 and 140 are hydrostatic, the one Noel has is equipped with three hydraulic levers. One goes to two ports on the left front, one goes to two ports on the right front, and the last to the middle rockshaft, hence the H3. My uncle has a 140 H1, which only goes to the center rockshaft. A heads up for you, your 110 could be equipped with a hydraulic lift, if you found the right kit for it. There are two different kits, one for machines with the Teccy engine, and one for the machines with the Kohler engine. There should be a data plate under the steering wheel, if you post the numbers on that plate I can get you the date.

Last edited:
Doug, the 110 and 112 are gear drive, the 120 and 240 are hydrostatic, the one Noel has is equipped with three hydraulic levers. One goes to two ports on the left front, one goes to two ports on the right front, and the last to the middle rockshaft, hence the H3. My uncle has a 140 H1, which only goes to the center rockshaft. A heads up for you, your 110 could be equipped with a hydraulic lift, if you found the right kit for it. There are two different kits, one for machines with the Teccy engine, and one for the machines with the Kohler engine. There should be a data plate under the steering wheel, if you post the numbers on that plate I can get you the date.
Yeah this JD110 has a variable speed lever much like my MF12G, Jake. I kinda figured the H in Noel's meant hydro! The front, center and rear lift are all mechanical on this one obviously. Thanks for that info! If this thing is worth it, I would need the mule drive for the tiller that came with it. The front plow blade that came with it should work ok. I would also assume the mowing deck should work ok since it is still mounted on the tractor.

DAC

Last edited:
Got the JD110 rolling! It had a blown out LF tire and wouldn't roll. I haven't decided if this thing is worth putting money into yet so I haven't bought any tires. Was hoping to find an old tire to fit the rim that could be tubed but never ran into one. Rolled it out of the way so I can park a couple tractors in the place it was blocking.

View attachment 68579 View attachment 68580

It had a pretty bad RR axle seal leak.

View attachment 68581 View attachment 68582

It has a lot of front stagger in it---LOL! Couldn't get that inner bearing to pull off.

Hopefully it can come in the shop soon to see if it will run.

DAC
Looks like a good project Doug. I would give it some good attention.

Post a picture of the rating plate Doug. It should be just below the steering wheel.
Jake, mine also has two rear hydraulic ports, you put a rod in to jam the deck lift cylinder and it will send fluid to the rear ports.
Your uncles should have one set of front ports to operate a plow or blower too, I would think. Again put a rod in to jam the deck lift cylinder and it sends fluid to the front ports.
Please correct me if I have some thing wrong there.

Noel

Post a picture of the rating plate Doug. It should be just below the steering wheel.
Jake, mine also has two rear hydraulic ports, you put a rod in to jam the deck lift cylinder and it will send fluid to the rear ports.
Your uncles should have one set of front ports to operate a plow or blower too, I would think. Again put a rod in to jam the deck lift cylinder and it sends fluid to the front ports.
Please correct me if I have some thing wrong there.

Noel
Not all H1's came with front hydraulic couplers, the knock outs are there, but not the lines and couplers. I added a set to my uncles tractor to operate a blade lift cylinder. Also, not all H3's came with rear hydraulic couplers, they were part of a kit so one could put the three point hitch on the tractor.

1968 is what I get Doug. The model number tells you options on the tractor. No idea where to find that. But I’ll look.
My service manual tells me what the model number means on my tractor. Tire size, type of tire I’ll see if I can remember to get a picture of that.

Noel

Not all H1's came with front hydraulic couplers, the knock outs are there, but not the lines and couplers. I added a set to my uncles tractor to operate a blade lift cylinder. Also, not all H3's came with rear hydraulic couplers, they were part of a kit so one could put the three point hitch on the tractor.

Thanks Jake. I remember now hearing about the rear remotes on the H3 models. But thought the one front set of remotes on the H1 tractors would be standard.
So, would the H1 tractors with out the one set of front remotes have a manual lift for the blade and snow thrower.? Or it was not a option for those tractors ?
Thanks for the information.

Noel

A 110 has the peerless 2300 transaxle so they are a very capable little tractor, the engine can easily be built up to 14hp using just stock parts, Im not a fan of the variable pulley setup... it allows you to fine tune your ground speed somewhat but you can do that with the throttle aswell so its an un-neccessary gimmick IMO. They arent a very heavy tractor, around 700# I think. I used one one winter for snow removal and it did fairly well with wheel weights and an extra weight bar on the back.

H1s still had manual lift for the front, they are the same tractor as the 110 but 14hp and with added hydraulics.
030.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Jake. I remember now hearing about the rear remotes on the H3 models. But thought the one front set of remotes on the H1 tractors would be standard.
So, would the H1 tractors with out the one set of front remotes have a manual lift for the blade and snow thrower.? Or it was not a option for those tractors ?
Thanks for the information.

Noel
The H1's without the front remotes were just for mowing, the one my uncle has was used as just a mower for a small school. Doug, the first number is the Type code, like Noel said, it gives the different options on your tractor. The second number is the serial number.

Some info on the square fender 110's, 112's, 120's and 140's. The 110 came out with a 7.5 hp engine and went up to 10hp. You could get them with manual lift, electric lift, and hydraulic lift. The 112 started with 10hp and went up to 12hp, and like the 110, you could get them in manual, electric and hydraulic lift. Both used Teccy and Kohler engines, and some early 112's came equipped with the Peerless 2305 limited slip rear, but there are very few left. The 120 and 140 are hydrostatic drive tractors, the 120 and early 140 had 12hp engines, later 140's had 14 hp. 120's only had H1 hydraulics (front mount ports could be added as a kit) and single brake pedal. The 140 could be had as a H1 ( same front port kit could be added) or H3 and had either a single brake pedal or split rear brakes. The H3 model could also be equipped with rear ports (like Noels) to be able to use the three point kit Deere came out with for the 140, 300, 316K, and 317, also possibly the 312 and 314.

Last edited:
Some info on the square fender 110's, 112's, 120's and 140's. The 110 came out with a 7.5 hp engine and went up to 10hp. You could get them with manual lift, electric lift, and hydraulic lift. The 112 started with 10hp and went up to 12hp, and like the 110, you could get them in manual, electric and hydraulic lift. Both used Teccy and Kohler engines, and some early 112's came equipped with the Peerless 2305 limited slip rear, but there are very few left. The 120 and 140 are hydrostatic drive tractors, the 120 and early 140 had 12hp engines, later 140's had 14 hp. 120's only had H1 hydraulics (front mount ports could be added as a kit) and single brake pedal. The 140 could be had as a H1 ( same front port kit could be added) or H3 and had either a single brake pedal or split rear brakes. The H3 model could also be equipped with rear ports (like Noels) to be able to use the three point kit Deere came out with for the 140, 300, 316K, and 317, also possibly the 312 and 314.

Thanks Jake. I learned something today.

Noel

Back