What did you do with your tractor today?

Some pictures out of my service manual for the JD140H3 for model identification. My 140H3 tractors model and serial numbers. Doug maybe interested in this for his JD110 tractor.

Nodl

Attachments

• 97D401E1-93B2-4910-A30A-10C6B26D5957.jpeg
    97D401E1-93B2-4910-A30A-10C6B26D5957.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 13
  • EC802D04-7104-4A11-B311-16CD43FE97EA.jpeg
    EC802D04-7104-4A11-B311-16CD43FE97EA.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 3FDAAB39-0578-4E9A-AF3D-17E05BFE2725.jpeg
    3FDAAB39-0578-4E9A-AF3D-17E05BFE2725.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 8B76EB81-39A9-40AF-B957-E55D9FC770B9.jpeg
    8B76EB81-39A9-40AF-B957-E55D9FC770B9.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 9
  • 04C45B34-EEDA-4624-99AB-97C268022134.jpeg
    04C45B34-EEDA-4624-99AB-97C268022134.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 4D5951D7-D52C-4785-B480-6A3F6EA3C943.jpeg
    4D5951D7-D52C-4785-B480-6A3F6EA3C943.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 14
A 110 has the peerless 2300 transaxle so they are a very capable little tractor, the engine can easily be built up to 14hp using just stock parts, Im not a fan of the variable pulley setup... it allows you to fine tune your ground speed somewhat but you can do that with the throttle aswell so its an un-neccessary gimmick IMO. They arent a very heavy tractor, around 700# I think. I used one one winter for snow removal and it did fairly well with wheel weights and an extra weight bar on the back.

H1s still had manual lift for the front, they are the same tractor as the 110 but 14hp and with added hydraulics.
View attachment 68644
Hey, Lance, Definitely think I will look at those ATV tires that you use if this tractor is worth fixing up! Nice tractor!

On the variable pulley, I have been using one in my MF12G since 2011. I would think that it allows the operator to slow down, but not drop the blade speed on the mowing deck by allowing the engine to still run full throttle? That tractor is mainly a mower. Tilling would be a similar idea?

Is your blade the same as what came with my 110? Looks like the only pic I have of it right now.

DAC

DSCN4466.JPG

DAC

Carolyn had her Bolens 775 out again yesterday pulling the yard cart. Handy little tractor for yard type work. She hauled several yard carts full of leave and junk from her flower beds. Keeps from building piles of trash all over that never seem to get pciked up till I have to mow around them.

Hey, Lance, Definitely think I will look at those ATV tires that you use if this tractor is worth fixing up! Nice tractor!

On the variable pulley, I have been using one in my MF12G since 2011. I would think that it allows the operator to slow down, but not drop the blade speed on the mowing deck by allowing the engine to still run full throttle? That tractor is mainly a mower. Tilling would be a similar idea?

Is your blade the same as what came with my 110? Looks like the only pic I have of it right now.

DAC
No the blade is the 54" off my Columbia.... that was the winter that I swapped engines so I put the blade on the 110... and it worked fairly well but obviously a 10hp Kohler does not have the same torque that the 16hp Briggs has.

yes the variable pulley setup does allow you to fine tune the ground speed but its not really needed and every belt you add in the system robs a little bit of hp from the engine... plus its something else to maintain,

ATV tires... honestly I dont understand why everyone doesnt use them... they should be standard on all GTs IMO.... they do just as well as AG in the dirt, almost aswell as turfs with chains in the snow/ice, they wont mark the turf unless you have a diff lock, they ride much softer so thats alot easier on our old bones.... granted I dont use cheap atv tires but I do search for good used take-offs... the Carlisle xtr radials Im using now I think retail new around $165cad each but that still less than most AG and many HDAP tires.

ATV tires... honestly I dont understand why everyone doesnt use them... they should be standard on all GTs IMO.... they do just as well as AG in the dirt, almost aswell as turfs with chains in the snow/ice, they wont mark the turf unless you have a diff lock, they ride much softer so thats alot easier on our old bones.... granted I dont use cheap atv tires but I do search for good used take-offs... the Carlisle xtr radials Im using now I think retail new around $165cad each but that still less than most AG and many HDAP tires.

I have ATV mud tires on one of my Sears and they do just as well as ags for both plowing the garden and pushing snow....ags do look better though

No the blade is the 54" off my Columbia.... that was the winter that I swapped engines so I put the blade on the 110... and it worked fairly well but obviously a 10hp Kohler does not have the same torque that the 16hp Briggs has.

yes the variable pulley setup does allow you to fine tune the ground speed but its not really needed and every belt you add in the system robs a little bit of hp from the engine... plus its something else to maintain,

When you said ride better, I think you sold me on them, Lance! I get to hurting after a couple hours with turf tires!

DAC

For no more snow than what we get any more is not worth having much snow moving equipment around. Sold an ol IH 1250 with Briggs 16 hp and thrower at auction last Saturday. I put the motor in 2 years a go and put one hours on it since.

I took my Simplicity 3415H with the atv tires out of the yard area a couple of days ago. I done a little trail riding just to see what it would do. I was impressed both on dirt, rock, and crawling over some brush. It just had a unique non slip crawling effect unlike with chains or AGS. I have the same effect with the studded truck snow tires on my MTD 990. When I cut firewood using the Sears SS15 with chains on turfs I have to avoid rocky areas. These turfs are about shot and I have another pair of atvs I might be putting on the Sears. I really like how Marty’s purple Sears looks.

Never turned a wheel today. Carolyn took Magnum in for his spay day. She spent the time shopping and waiting. I finished up sealing off the tail gate on my truck to make it as dust proof as possible. Sealed it with rubber tail gate gaskets. Could have done it with expanding foam much quicker but not sure how that would stand up.

When you said ride better, I think you sold me on them, Lance! I get to hurting after a couple hours with turf tires!

DAC
I have back issues so the softer ride was one of the first things I noticed with the atv tires... they use a much softer rubber compound and most only require 10 or 12 lbs psi. I tried them out for the first time around 2010, bought 2 used Duro Red Eagles for $40 and put them on the Columbia, that was a game changer for me. Next I put Kenda Bear Claws on the Ford lgt100, we had flooding in the area about then so I was driving thru swamps with 6"-8" of water.. uphill downhill sideways, didnt matter it just drove thru it all. The Carlisle radials that are on the Columbia now are my favorite so far, I bought 4 take-offs, 2@8x25 and 2@10x25, put the 8" on a 960 with a snowblower and the 10" on the Columbia with the 54" dozer blade, hard to compare the two because the Columbia has more rear ballast but both do very well... the guy that bought that 960 tells me his tractor can go places his ATV wont. lol

The only problem with atv tires is that it can be hard to the right size when looking for used tires... I have to take the 25" off the Columbia if I want to put the mower on it, and some tractors such as those two Sears I had last year dont have room under the fenders for 25".... which are the most common size I seem to find around here... so in some cases a person may have no choice other than to buy new... but they are worth it ;)

I have back issues so the softer ride was one of the first things I noticed with the atv tires... they use a much softer rubber compound and most only require 10 or 12 lbs psi. I tried them out for the first time around 2010, bought 2 used Duro Red Eagles for $40 and put them on the Columbia, that was a game changer for me. Next I put Kenda Bear Claws on the Ford lgt100, we had flooding in the area about then so I was driving thru swamps with 6"-8" of water.. uphill downhill sideways, didnt matter it just drove thru it all. The Carlisle radials that are on the Columbia now are my favorite so far, I bought 4 take-offs, 2@8x25 and 2@10x25, put the 8" on a 960 with a snowblower and the 10" on the Columbia with the 54" dozer blade, hard to compare the two because the Columbia has more rear ballast but both do very well... the guy that bought that 960 tells me his tractor can go places his ATV wont. lol

The only problem with atv tires is that it can be hard to the right size when looking for used tires... I have to take the 25" off the Columbia if I want to put the mower on it, and some tractors such as those two Sears I had last year dont have room under the fenders for 25".... which are the most common size I seem to find around here... so in some cases a person may have no choice other than to buy new... but they are worth it ;)
I might be S.O.L. then, Lance. Looks like 23's are about the tallest I should run on 3 of my tractors, Including the JD110. An inch less fender clearance might be a problem on them as you said with the Sears tractors you had.

Good advice though!

DAC

I might be S.O.L. then, Lance. Looks like 23's are about the tallest I should run on 3 of my tractors, Including the JD110. An inch less fender clearance might be a problem on them as you said with the Sears tractors you had.

Good advice though!

DAC
I couldnt say if the deck has enough clearance for 25" but the fenders definately do... I had the 25" Kenda Bear Claws on my 110
019.JPG

Just sold my snow thrower tractor. IH 1250 with 16 hp Briggs and 42" thrower. Remotored 2 years ago and put 1 hour on it. Had the stock 26x12-1`2 tires with 2 link chains and 75 lb weights on each wheel. No traction issue what so ever but only used it once in heavy snow.

Back