What did you do with your tractor today?

Solid steel. :)

I'm not the first person to do this. I looked at the cost of something used or new like Noel's, just couldn't justify it.
I agree doing with what you have is a satisfying feeling. We had two of those when we first moved here they were plastic. I have another one in my scrap pile about 3’ across that’s metal. I started a tool bar made from 2” square tubing, basically a wide bar that you can attach different tools on by sliding them back and forth. All I have thought about would be 2 or 3 furrow blades for planting, a couple of disc for hilling and a breaker bar. I quit because I seen the type that had two bars that you could spread wider for adjusting. Chieffan posted one he had the other day that I liked that was similar.

Don't know that it counts as a "tractor" and it certainly ain't one of mine(I don't make near enough to afford it) but I just got the carb back onto a 27hp Kawasucki that's mounted on a Hustler ZTR.
It's a few years old now (looks like around 6-7) but it's been sitting, the hour meter shows a whole 11 hours on it from new
John, the property owner who's barn I store my junk in, owns the Hustler. Nice 72" cut. He bought it a few years ago (I think it might have even been a demo or a left over past year model as I'm sure he got it new and not as far back as 16/ which if I'm interpreting the numbers right, when it was made.

He bought it, used it a few times then went into a nursing home and then to an assisted living type place and there it sat
I tried to get it running a couple of months ago, aired up the tires, put a new battery in, and couldnt get t it started. I'd dribble a little gas in the carb throat and it would run til that was spent and no more.

Kawasucki wants you to buy a whole new carb which on this one is $500. I don't see John very often and I'm the one who's been mowing his place for a good many years now, but I sure don't have it.
For 3 "o" rings, 3 paper gaskets and another weird o ring that is in the shape of a small butterfly. I paid $28 for that. And what few parts they DO make available for a carb overhaul have to be bought separately, and are obnoxiously priced.
For instance if I'd have wanted a float that is plastic and $41. Just an inlet needle (no seat) is $21. And everything is "special order" which takes 2 weeks to get. A lot to be expected to spend to maintain one of their pieces of crap, and in this case especially one with 11 total hours on since new....

I then mowed with it a few hours, admittedly mowed 2 areas probably more suitable to a bush hog than a ZTR mower, but it got thru it. I had to make 2-3 passes with the deck all the way up and 1/2 swipes at a time the first pass, then 2 passes after that at the 3" he had the "low" setting set to....
The rest of the yard I literally flew thru, besides those 2 areas which hadn't been mowed. Since late last summer/ early last fall. Definitely hadn't been mowed with the rest of the yard that had been mowed this year. I have my doubts that it will happen but we're supposed to get a good rain tonight tomorrow and Monday. IF we do I'm glad I got thru that waist high stuff now while it turned into dust as it was mowed rather than once it gets damp/wet to where it would have done nothing but clog the deck....the worst part of mowing out there today was that when I did the front yard Id mow down, turn around and eat the swarm of dust still hanging from my last swipe as I went back up the other way.

I agree doing with what you have is a satisfying feeling. We had two of those when we first moved here they were plastic. I have another one in my scrap pile about 3’ across that’s metal. I started a tool bar made from 2” square tubing, basically a wide bar that you can attach different tools on by sliding them back and forth. All I have thought about would be 2 or 3 furrow blades for planting, a couple of disc for hilling and a breaker bar. I quit because I seen the type that had two bars that you could spread wider for adjusting. Chieffan posted one he had the other day that I liked that was similar.
I've never in my life seen a plastic parabolic dish for satellite receiver. Plastic would never reflect the signal to the receiver head.

Yes, a BAR with adjustable sliding positions is key. Here is the camper popup rear bumper with it's bars to mount to the frame. It's perfect!

20230624_185017md.jpg

Getting a step closer. :)

Don't know that it counts as a "tractor" and it certainly ain't one of mine(I don't make near enough to afford it) but I just got the carb back onto a 27hp Kawasucki that's mounted on a Hustler ZTR.
It's a few years old now (looks like around 6-7) but it's been sitting, the hour meter shows a whole 11 hours on it from new
John, the property owner who's barn I store my junk in, owns the Hustler. Nice 72" cut. He bought it a few years ago (I think it might have even been a demo or a left over past year model as I'm sure he got it new and not as far back as 16/ which if I'm interpreting the numbers right, when it was made.

He bought it, used it a few times then went into a nursing home and then to an assisted living type place and there it sat
I tried to get it running a couple of months ago, aired up the tires, put a new battery in, and couldnt get t it started. I'd dribble a little gas in the carb throat and it would run til that was spent and no more.

Kawasucki wants you to buy a whole new carb which on this one is $500. I don't see John very often and I'm the one who's been mowing his place for a good many years now, but I sure don't have it.
For 3 "o" rings, 3 paper gaskets and another weird o ring that is in the shape of a small butterfly. I paid $28 for that. And what few parts they DO make available for a carb overhaul have to be bought separately, and are obnoxiously priced.
For instance if I'd have wanted a float that is plastic and $41. Just an inlet needle (no seat) is $21. And everything is "special order" which takes 2 weeks to get. A lot to be expected to spend to maintain one of their pieces of crap, and in this case especially one with 11 total hours on since new....

I then mowed with it a few hours, admittedly mowed 2 areas probably more suitable to a bush hog than a ZTR mower, but it got thru it. I had to make 2-3 passes with the deck all the way up and 1/2 swipes at a time the first pass, then 2 passes after that at the 3" he had the "low" setting set to....
The rest of the yard I literally flew thru, besides those 2 areas which hadn't been mowed. Since late last summer/ early last fall. Definitely hadn't been mowed with the rest of the yard that had been mowed this year. I have my doubts that it will happen but we're supposed to get a good rain tonight tomorrow and Monday. IF we do I'm glad I got thru that waist high stuff now while it turned into dust as it was mowed rather than once it gets damp/wet to where it would have done nothing but clog the deck....the worst part of mowing out there today was that when I did the front yard Id mow down, turn around and eat the swarm of dust still hanging from my last swipe as I went back up the other way.
Since we live in the same region, we watered the gardens as if no rain is coming. Thus your comment being doubtful is spot on. ;)
"
I have my doubts that it will happen but we're supposed to get a good rain tonight tomorrow and Monday...."

I used my MTD 990 today to haul grass clippings for mulch in the garden. I wasn’t going to cut that much because of having to bag it with a push mower. The Husqvarna mower with a bag works fantastic. It was such a good morning and cloudy out I ended up mowing the whole yard. I kept my phone with me so it kept track of my steps and the distance I walked. The problem was I never lost a single ounce of weight.:eek:
3E5E4BD5-2BA5-4C81-929B-D8BB0F203B0C.jpeg131BB702-5B5C-4A16-9ED7-AC2F77C85B38.png

9 days, I haven't mowed in a full month.
Yep. What he said!
Ditto for now but a month or so ago I was mowing every 4-5 days.

We have plenty of spring, early summer times just like you guys are going through. Normal rains, usually 5-7 days for half the summer. The rain started out slow this spring so I imagine that slowed grass growth even after we started getting some.

DAC

I had all of my Cub Cadets and my Cub out for pictures over the weekend.

Plant Tire Wheel Tree Land lot

Plant Leaf Motor vehicle Tree Vegetation

Plant Tire Tree Wheel Wood

Plant Tire Wheel Tree Motor vehicle

Back