What did you do with your tractor today?

Most of you that follow me know I have three areas that I keep cut totaling almost 3 acres. I’m getting so tired of cutting a little here and there it makes me feel like that’s all I do. I cut and trimmed the yard on Wednesday with Hoopdy and used my Echo trimmer. I cut both fields on Thursday with the Simplicity 3415 H. Friday I weed whacked an area that’s a little hilly that takes me exactly 3 hours with a half hour break. I only do this area about 3-4 times a year. I was whooped yesterday and quit around 1:00. I got a shower ate lunch and watched a few movies on my lap top and head phones. We get everything in the world on the tv but Carol won’t watch most things I watch.

That hilly area has too many rocks. I’m thinking this Fall I’m going to go rock digging like I’ve done in a few places here so I can mow. I have a 60” Swisher trail mower would work great for this. Another problem I have on this area is prior to us moving here the power company installed a new pole that has a transformer that feeds our house. They cut several cedar trees about 6-8 inch diameter about 6” above the ground. Now they have rotted good enough I could whack em ! with a pick axe a few times to get rid of them. Here’s a couple of pics of the “ thorn in my side “.

Attachments

• 0BEE248C-2214-4E43-9078-D5E8BE98E74B.jpeg
    0BEE248C-2214-4E43-9078-D5E8BE98E74B.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 10
  • D0032B14-8B69-4399-82CC-C18C95C95E73.jpeg
    D0032B14-8B69-4399-82CC-C18C95C95E73.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 9
Started out hot and humid so cut a few second growth stuff out of the property line with the trimmer with the blade on it. Put tools away and quit for the day. Dew point got up to 72 fast and I cannot take that kind of heat.
Me either Roger the last couple of years I’m having trouble working in the heat. Our dew never dries up until around 11 am and my time outside is limited to just a few hours, besides Gunsmoke comes on at 3:00 lol.

Carol had her follow up with her eye Doctor appointment today it took about three hours before we got home. I started cutting the grass around 4:30 and got done a little after 7:00. I used Hoopdy and almost 10 minutes to go it broke the PTO belt. That’s the third tractor this year that I have had to replace a belt on. I already had the push mower out so I finished up with that. We’re having some much needed rain moving in over night and all day tomorrow so this will work out good. I took the hood off today, sometimes I hate looking at that green hood.

Attachments

• 98EB378C-5E8C-49C0-8A82-2A4815CE8A2D.jpeg
    98EB378C-5E8C-49C0-8A82-2A4815CE8A2D.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 3
Carol had her follow up with her eye Doctor appointment today it took about three hours before we got home. I started cutting the grass around 4:30 and got done a little after 7:00. I used Hoopdy and almost 10 minutes to go it broke the PTO belt. That’s the third tractor this year that I have had to replace a belt on. I already had the push mower out so I finished up with that. We’re having some much needed rain moving in over night and all day tomorrow so this will work out good. I took the hood off today, sometimes I hate looking at that green hood.
I mowed for 25 years with this old MTD, Jim. It was old when my Mom got it from her brother in law. The hood and grill came with it but Uncle Bill told me, "It will vaporlock if you put that hood on". I tried putting the hood on 3 or 4 times through the years and he was right. It would start running like crap after 15 minutes or so of mowing. Ran fine without it. Should try to start it again some day. Been sitting in a shed since 2009.
UncleBill3.jpg UncleBill2.jpg

DAC

I mowed for 25 years with this old MTD, Jim. It was old when my Mom got it from her brother in law. The hood and grill came with it but Uncle Bill told me, "It will vaporlock if you put that hood on". I tried putting the hood on 3 or 4 times through the years and he was right. It would start running like crap after 15 minutes or so of mowing. Ran fine without it. Should try to start it again some day. Been sitting in a shed since 2009.
View attachment 71018 View attachment 71017

DAC
Doug that’s an MTD 669 in the 800 series. All the MTD 600,800,&900 series tractors are very sought after. They are heavy duty. Your muffler is not stock it should be coming out the side. The way the muffler is your heating up the carb and gas along with trapping a lot of heat under the hood.

Doug that’s an MTD 669 in the 800 series. All the MTD 600,800,&900 series tractors are very sought after. They are heavy duty. Your muffler is not stock it should be coming out the side. The way the muffler is your heating up the carb and gas along with trapping a lot of heat under the hood.

Thanks for that link, Jim! I never did get around to checking it out on TD. Nice to know it was 1971-1972 production. Mom got it from her B-I-L in 1980 and gave it to us for a "housewarming" present when we bought this acre from her. Believe it or not, it looked this bad when I got it---LOL!

DAC

One reason why I went battery, I gave up on gas powered trimmers. I spent more time fixing them vs. trimming.
This is the first line trimmer I have had a problem with in several years. Last issue was the same thing on the same trimmer, Ryobi SS30. And I use nothing but ethanol gas. You wont replace a battery for $12 to get your battery powered back running again.

This is the first line trimmer I have had a problem with in several years. Last issue was the same thing on the same trimmer, Ryobi SS30. And I use nothing but ethanol gas. You wont replace a battery for $12 to get your battery powered back running again.
I've had my B+S trimmer for about 15 years. Not once replaced a battery yet. :)

There are certain precautions to allow these batteries to last longer. One is, right after trimming and the battery is used up, don't toss it on a charger until an hour has passed. These batteries heat up when used. A cool down period is needed before the charge can take place. Most people don't follow this practice, thus they go thru batteries more often. Plus, I charge the batteries for free, off-grid. The solar panels were bought in 1998 and paid for themselves decades ago. No need to buy fuel and additives. ;)

Back