What did you do with your tractor today?

Nice you are set up either way, Cub. I don't even want a truck to plow my driveway as they tear it up. The old Cub Cadet blade on the MF8E does a good job. My driveway is only around 80 feet long, flat and with the wind here usually the south end of it doesn't needs plowing. Does happen occasionally though.

You guys working on racecars in the off season yet?

DAC
Yes, that’s another reason I prefer to use tractors on the driveway. They still scrape up some gravel, but not as bad. It is nice having a heated cab and radio though.

Not working on the race cars yet. My dad needs a knee replacement, and he’s probably going to be getting it done in the spring, so he probably won’t be racing much if at all this year. He didn’t get to race much last year either because he had his spine fused. They cleared him in time for the last two races, but he didn’t want to take any chances of messing anything up. So other than some maintenance, the car is still pretty much ready from last year.

Yes, that’s another reason I prefer to use tractors on the driveway. They still scrape up some gravel, but not as bad. It is nice having a heated cab and radio though.

Not working on the race cars yet. My dad needs a knee replacement, and he’s probably going to be getting it done in the spring, so he probably won’t be racing much if at all this year. He didn’t get to race much last year either because he had his spine fused. They cleared him in time for the last two races, but he didn’t want to take any chances of messing anything up. So other than some maintenance, the car is still pretty much ready from last year.
I built a full width skid for the Cub Cadet blade which helps to keep gravel from being scraped off but it's not perfect. When the gravel is warm enough where it's more wet than frozen it still shoves gravel into grass. The best part of having it is no gouges.

Hope your Dad's "parts repair and replacements" go well. Sure don't want to try to strap back in a racecar facing these issues.

There is a big midget race going on in Tulsa OK this week, the "Chili Bowl" and the "Wild West Shootout" at Vado Speedway near Santa Fe, NM all this week. The NM race has Late Models and Modifieds.

Trying to catch some of both on FLO Racing TV.

DAC

I had the MF12 out with the blower yesterday and today cleaning up the snow in the driveway. Had a brain fart yesterday, during lunch break I went out to move snow and the tractor quite at the bottom of the driveway and wouldnt restart. Let it sit due to having to answer phones for work. At 3pm the light bulb in my brain goes off, i didn't check the gas level before I started and sure enough it was out. Put gas in and then it would not turn over due to leaving the key on... Put the battery charger on it and at 6pm went out and did the majority of the snow blowing. Tonight I moved my daughters car and cleaned a little bit more due to forecast of another 1-4"s tomorrow into Friday.

This MF12 is the one I repowered with a 10 hp kohler. It is lacking on power I need to try adjusting the main jet in the carb and if that doesn't work look at the governor linkage and hope one of these fixed it.

I haven't done anything with a tractor in so long it's sad. I was planning to collect a few more leaves last fall. Then disc the garden to mix them a little. None of it happened. Jr tried to get the tractor started Sunday to scrape the slush off the drive. No go. Today he came home with a big can of starting fluid. He can't miss out on another chance of plowing snow.

Changed oil in my SS16 as it is currently my only snow removal equipment. Mobil 0W-30 was on sale. Just over 2 liters for a oil change but Im sure it was due….tractor starts easy enough in the cold but some synthetic oil be a little easier on the old girl..
I have my boats’ starting battery in the tractor for the season…no more little tractor batteries for me…

I built a full width skid for the Cub Cadet blade which helps to keep gravel from being scraped off but it's not perfect. When the gravel is warm enough where it's more wet than frozen it still shoves gravel into grass. The best part of having it is no gouges.

Hope your Dad's "parts repair and replacements" go well. Sure don't want to try to strap back in a racecar facing these issues.

There is a big midget race going on in Tulsa OK this week, the "Chili Bowl" and the "Wild West Shootout" at Vado Speedway near Santa Fe, NM all this week. The NM race has Late Models and Modifieds.

Trying to catch some of both on FLO Racing TV.

DAC
I have seen your pictures of the skid, and have thought about making something like that too. I have enough plows to set an extra one up that way.

I have seen the Chili Bowl, never heard of the Wild West shoutout, may have to check that out. I think my dad has Flo Racing.

I had the MF12 out with the blower yesterday and today cleaning up the snow in the driveway. Had a brain fart yesterday, during lunch break I went out to move snow and the tractor quite at the bottom of the driveway and wouldnt restart. Let it sit due to having to answer phones for work. At 3pm the light bulb in my brain goes off, i didn't check the gas level before I started and sure enough it was out. Put gas in and then it would not turn over due to leaving the key on... Put the battery charger on it and at 6pm went out and did the majority of the snow blowing. Tonight I moved my daughters car and cleaned a little bit more due to forecast of another 1-4"s tomorrow into Friday.

This MF12 is the one I repowered with a 10 hp kohler. It is lacking on power I need to try adjusting the main jet in the carb and if that doesn't work look at the governor linkage and hope one of these fixed it.
I had to deal with phone calls at work before I retired. Every 6 week "On Call" would happen. Never knew when it would ring. The money was good, but now a former co-worker is telling me that the city is chiseling away as to how much on call hours they can justify. First, even if it is 3am they have to call the boss first! I would have walked out if that was the policy a year ago!

We all suffer from brain farts, Ted! When you get older they become more common---LOL!

DAC

I have seen your pictures of the skid, and have thought about making something like that too. I have enough plows to set an extra one up that way.

I have seen the Chili Bowl, never heard of the Wild West shoutout, may have to check that out. I think my dad has Flo Racing.
Flo is of course a pay to subscribe streaming channel, Cub. If you are interested in watching you dad can just give you his password and sign in info so you can watch things on any of your devices. I still have to watch on the PC or a Roku TV.

DAC

I had to deal with phone calls at work before I retired. Every 6 week "On Call" would happen. Never knew when it would ring.
I feel for anyone that has to be on call. It takes away a persons ability to plan anything.
31 years of that 24/7, 365 days a year. Felt like someone had lifted a truck off my shoulders when I retired. On top of that for years my wife was a first responder on the ambulance crew. We slept with a phone on the headboard of our bed. Thankfully we never both got called out at the same time. Guy doesn't realize what a burden that is until it's done. Not only to that person but to the whole family.
Some people feel important to be on call. I don't think I'd do it again.

More snow on the way. When the snow stroms quit will get the bever out and move some snow - maybe. Depends on if I can still drive through it.
Plowed in late AM and then again 20mins ago. So much snow, didn't notice the AM plowing was ever done other than the mounds.

The new rear work-light came in handy for the very first time. Harbor Freight $9.

20220827_185940 - Copy.jpg

20220827_190211 - Copy.jpg

20220827_192411 - Copy.jpg

20221126_171617 - rearworklight.jpg

Put it on last summer. Now it shines so well for the rear blade pushing snow. I can see where to goooooo!

Last edited:
I feel for anyone that has to be on call. It takes away a persons ability to plan anything.
31 years of that 24/7, 365 days a year. Felt like someone had lifted a truck off my shoulders when I retired. On top of that for years my wife was a first responder on the ambulance crew. We slept with a phone on the headboard of our bed. Thankfully we never both got called out at the same time. Guy doesn't realize what a burden that is until it's done. Not only to that person but to the whole family.
Some people feel important to be on call. I don't think I'd do it again.
Loree is on call now with the different position she has at her job of 20+ years But it also means mentally unstable kids aren't beating and biting her any more! The kids didn't know any better since that's what their folks did to them. If a family is having problems off hours they can call her then she can show up to assess the situation. She is authorized to call police if the family is in danger from a family member. So far all she has had to do is routine "surprise" visits after hours, with no problems. There was one instance where she had to call in the law that was still during her normal work hours though.

Most guys I knew at my job didn't necessarily feel important doing on call but would take all they could for the extra money and hope to heck that some big disaster didn't happen while they were on it!

DAC

Plowed in late AM and then again 20mins ago. So much snow, didn't notice the AM plowing was ever done other than the mounds.

The new rear work-light came in handy for the very first time. Harbor Freight $9.

View attachment 77559

View attachment 77560

View attachment 77561

View attachment 77562

Put it on last summer. Now it shines so well for the rear blade pushing snow. I can see where to goooooo!
Looks like a great light, Brett! We need to see a pic of it lighting the way while moving the s-word---LOL!

DAC

I spent most of Saturday diagnosing and fixing the lack of power in the MF12. Started off by re-gapping the points that were too tight. Started tractor up and it still had a stumble at full throttle. Hooked up inline spark tester, there was no spark at times. Changed out the condenser, still had same issue just not as much. Took the coil out and tested it with ohm meter and it was in spec. I decided to change the coil anyway since I had a new one. The new coil fixed the power/stumble issue. I moved cars and cleaned out the driveway of snow. It was nice to be
able to blow snow without the tractor acting up.

I spent most of Saturday diagnosing and fixing the lack of power in the MF12. Started off by re-gapping the points that were too tight. Started tractor up and it still had a stumble at full throttle. Hooked up inline spark tester, there was no spark at times. Changed out the condenser, still had same issue just not as much. Took the coil out and tested it with ohm meter and it was in spec. I decided to change the coil anyway since I had a new one. The new coil fixed the power/stumble issue. I moved cars and cleaned out the driveway of snow. It was nice to be
able to blow snow without the tractor acting up.
Good job troubleshooting the problem, Ted! Is your MF12 a "G" or "H"? Glad it's running well again!

DAC

The blower on my tractor is missing at all throttle settings. Picked up a new set of plugs and will put them in tomorrow. Hopefully that will take care of it.
I am not a fan of the carburetors on these old B&S twins. I wish I could find an updated carb for it. These always seem to run rich. Especially when advancing the throttle.

The blower on my tractor is missing at all throttle settings. Picked up a new set of plugs and will put them in tomorrow. Hopefully that will take care of it.
I am not a fan of the carburetors on these old B&S twins. I wish I could find an updated carb for it. These always seem to run rich. Especially when advancing the throttle.
I have two of the 3 of the older Briggs engines that seems to run the fest at full throttle with the choke partially on. Carbs seem to have a real; tiny hole in them some place that is susceptible to getting plugged up. Clean the carb and it is good for a time then back to needing partial choke again. One on a snow blower and the other on a tiller.

Back