What did you do with your tractor today?

Had a broken deck hanger bracket on the JD-755 yesterday, since I don't have 220 to the shed right now due to a burnt out underground line, I took it to the local welding/muffler shop this morning. Picked it up this afternoon, while it was on the trailer, I greased the deck, replaced the step & tool box I'd taken off for access to the bracket & even found the slow leak in one front tire. An old plug was seeping, so I pulled it out & replaced it with a new plug. Fueled the tractor & put in the shed til next mowing.

Also replaced the nine year old battery in the JD-790.

Time to do some mowing again today. Dense fog starting this morning - slowly lifting. But till the sun come out and we get a breeze the gras will not be in mowing condition. Have some gutters to clean so will do that while the SO goes flower shopping. I need to get diesel too as I forgot to put the can in yesterday when we went in to get the van transferred over to us.

Been a week so had to mow again today. Did a couple areas and around the garden this forenoon but was really to wet to be mowing. Went back after it about 2 and cut good then - until the diesel started to act up again. Run along great then would sound like it dropped a cylinder. Backed the throttle down for a few seconds and throttle up and would go but not right. Finally flat out sputtered and died. Let it set in the shop for 1/2 hour to cool down and started it. Fired right off and sounded good. Went back to mowing and finished it an hour later. It did sputter one time during that hour. Now to try and figure out what is causing the problem. Going to start with the easy components first. Will check the fuel pump and see what it looks like pressure wise. Have a new filter on the way and will put that in also. Fuel pump is electric and they either work or don't so don't think that is the problem. Injectors were rebuilt about 80 hours ago so they should be good. Only a couple things left. Compression loss from a valve sticking? Symptoms don't really point to a valve issue. Injector pump is the next thing. May have to make a trip to my diesel guy who just went back to his own shop again. I guess I better get the QT up to the shop and get it running as I may need it to mow with. Have a LT 1018 that is running strong so not down just yet.

This afternoon, a little trimming, then started mowing. Around 30 minutes mowing & the JD- F725 started acting up again. Loaded it up & headed to the dealer's with it, 45 minutes away. Hope they find the problem this time!

In the process of selling my 1994 Craftsman GT6000 to a friend (19-20 year old, awesome young man who is not afraid to work!) who is mowing yards for the summer. He had been considering an almost identical GT6000 that was in really poor shape. I told him that I had on that I was considering selling, and that it was in really good shape. I have only used it in the garden, so I had to get the 44" deck back on...... Something I had not done for at least 8 years. Luckily, I was able to get it installed, mowed the back yard with it at least a 1/2 acre.... it did a great job. He'll be here tomorrow to pick it up... I made him a really sweet deal because he IS so awesome!
CD637FA8-FA38-4BC2-9E36-726ACE0E5A89.jpeg

Last edited:
In the process of selling my 1994 Craftsman GT6000 to a friend (19-20 year old, awesome young man who is not afraid to work!) who is mowing yards for the summer. He had been considering an almost identical GT6000 that was in really poor shape. I told him that I had on that I was considering selling, and that it was in really good shape. I have only used it in the garden, so I had to get the 44" deck back on...... Something I had not done for at least 8 years. Luckily, I was able to get it installed, mowed the back yard with it at least a 1/2 acre.... it did a great job. He'll be here tomorrow to pick it up... I made him a really sweet deal because he IS so awesome!

Great to hear some young-uns out there are ambitious and "awesome" as you say. He will remember the deal you gave him!

DAC

Used the Sears to mow last night before it rains again. The old SSI module seems to he holding up well for now. I still will go back to the battery/coil setup, just looking for a different setup then the pickup that was on it.

Cut grass with the 1951 ferguson tractor with rear 6', rear discharge mower and my son used the 1971 MF 7 to do the trimming around stuff. Then cut up a large cherry tree, which fell down yesterday after the wind all day, and used the MF 7 and trailer to move it away and the 51 ferguson was there too, just in case. Used a Poulan 16" saw to cut it up, tree was about 14/15" in diameter. Put the whole cut up tree in the trailer and the MF 7 had no trouble moving it.

Noel

Attachments

• 510B4C7C-7DD7-49C2-AF05-771778191162.jpeg
    510B4C7C-7DD7-49C2-AF05-771778191162.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 11
  • BE220057-74EA-4AAA-B82A-C0463004BC54.jpeg
    BE220057-74EA-4AAA-B82A-C0463004BC54.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 11
  • FB6D2A64-7808-4D60-976A-6A8168E69E36.jpeg
    FB6D2A64-7808-4D60-976A-6A8168E69E36.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 11
  • EC585680-88A2-4441-B2B9-19949EFA0FF6.jpeg
    EC585680-88A2-4441-B2B9-19949EFA0FF6.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 2C476A1C-1B67-4BE9-9914-2FBA5D4B4E49.png
    2C476A1C-1B67-4BE9-9914-2FBA5D4B4E49.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 883E490E-11AC-4F44-933C-173E088ADBB6.jpeg
    883E490E-11AC-4F44-933C-173E088ADBB6.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Went to my nephew's property, my sister and niece in law wanted a garden out there. They haven't built a house so the weeds/grass was about 2-3' tal in most areas. I used the Sears to mow an area for garden. Once that was done, threw on the 10" plow and rolled some dirt. We assume this was a crop field in the past, dirt was nice and dark, rich looking and very few rocks. After I plowed, hooked up the Rotospader and tilled it twice, ground was pretty much perfect dryness for working. After I was done, I put mower deck back on and mowed them a decent size area for parking and letting their two kids have a little play area. They still need property bush hogged, probably about 3 acres that needs mowed. My cousin keeps his tractors at is mom's about a mile and half up the road, going to see if I can borrow his tractor and bush hog. I could see the clouds coming, it started light raining as I was strapping down tractor. By the time I got finished and we pulled out, it was pouring, almost hard to see road.

Had the LGT 165 Ford with tiller out to savage harbour today. Tilled around the cumuber plants. Only five plants thru out of 54 seeds. Oh well. This season not off to a real good start other than at home. Potatoes and onions doing great at home. Stratford potatoes in bad shape. Savage harbour cucumbers and onions not doing good yet.
So tilled to kill the weeds. Then after the wind on the weekend a popular tree fell across the lane in savage harbour. Hooked the ford to it and draged it away. A little of a struggle for the 165 Ford. But I knew it would get the job done. About 25’ long and 12” in diameter, at the base. Then took the lawnboy mower and did some grass cutting for about 40 minutes. Then did some weed whacking. The mosquitoes were bad.
Sorry no pictures. Forgot.

Noel

Last edited:
Rinsed the tank off the CC 1512 a couple times, got a few flakes & chunks of curd out of the tank. (Must have been the Ethanol HE HE!) Give it good bath while all the sheet metal was off. Put the tank back on, new fuel filters and the usual maintenance. Fired right up after about 15 seconds of glow plugs. For some reason this engine always wants some added heat to start right off. If that's what it wants it's OK by me. Got it all back together and back in the shed. While I had the power washer out and hooked up washed the North side of the house down from last winter black from the corn stove, as well as the Ranger UTV. Gravel roads really gather on those open things. A trip to town for fuel tomorrow and ready for the next mowing session.

Back