What did you do with your tractor today?

Ruyn around with the Ranger and picked up a bunch of branches the wind blew out yesterday. Then got the BCS 2 wheel tractor with the 42" bar mower up to the shop. Knew the cycle needed sharpening but when I went to take it out found the drive plate and 2 sections were loose. Holes in the drive plate were enlarged so new rivets would not hold it solid. Got it as good as I could and with it all straight tacked it in a few places to make sure all was solid and tight again. Mowed some weeds and a bunch of young maple trees on the neighbors side of the fence. Owner lives is Arizona and farm management don't pay much attention to it. My back and knees said that was enough for the day so 4 pm I quit.

Hey Roger, if you have the time, take a pic of that BCS. I have been thinking of getting one. Are you happy with yours?

Hey Roger, if you have the time, take a pic of that BCS. I have been thinking of getting one. Are you happy with yours?

Ok, will try and remember it tomorrow. Mine is an old 725 model. Picked it up at an auction right after we bought this place 18+ years ago. Had the Acme engine originally. Blew it running to much tiled sideways trying to level out the filter bed tile lines for the septic installation. Up dated with an adapter and 8hp B&S engine. Only issue I have had was the pin that holds the one collar for the drive fell out a couple times in the 18 years. The newer ones are lot nicer and easier to handle than mine is. With the 40" bar mower on and the adapter extension for the B&S it is just a bit back heavy and wants to lift the cutter bar. New ones are not that way. BCS units are a real beast. Don't know how old it was when I got it but the tiller tines were getting wore down to about 1" wide so put on a new set. Just now getting ready for a replacement set. 18 years of use isn't bad. The snow caster is a real heavy duty unit also. Will really get rid of the snow. Mine is a 20" which is just right for a walking path. Only issue I would have over all with the tractor is ground clearance.. It can get high centered real easy if you don't watch it. Haven't looked at the new machines to see if they are different.

Wanted to mow but with water squishing from under each step, decided better of it.
Garden got flooded again from run off as did the machine shed. Last time the machine shed floor was dry was when it was froze. :mad:

Installed the mower deck, noticed deck wheel is about junk. My spare is larger but it will work until I scrounge up a old lawnmower for more spares

Attachments

• C1EB8C65-0407-4C96-88EE-838C290F4F4C.jpeg
    C1EB8C65-0407-4C96-88EE-838C290F4F4C.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 7
I just put all new wheels and bolt on the 50" Cub deck. This time I greased the bolts good rather than run them dry. Will grease them about every 8 hrs of mowing along with the deck & tractor. $34 covered the wheel, axle bolts and shipping.

I used the lift boom on the Simplicity 7117 to move two unwanted RR ties from the yard. I dragged them out to one of the field areas I mow. There's a couple of storm drain ditches thats on the edge of a hill that's hard to see when the grass is up.
20190428_143720.jpg
20190529_092703.jpg

Mowed the weeds. Sprayed weed killer last fall, the weeds did wilt but have fully recovered stronger than ever
Any product that actually work?

Attachments

• 2BD171CC-2E6B-43A9-A3A2-203A14122AC8.jpeg
    2BD171CC-2E6B-43A9-A3A2-203A14122AC8.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 7
Have to apply more than once a year.
Especially if your area is as wet as my area has been, the water leeches out all of the nutrients and weed killer.
Most times weed killer in the fall does less good than around the 1st mowing in the spring. At least around here.
I always get the 1st application down fine and always say that I'll do 1 more about late spring or early summer but never seem to get around to it, put it off, forgot about it, then before I realize, the season ends.
I did get my turf builder with crabgrass control put down which wants 24 hours before getting rained on, it got about 18.
I have some post emerge crabgrass killer that I bought and applied last summer, that I can use in about a month if I start seeing that crap come up again, last year I had a bumper crop of it.
About 2 weeks later after the turf builder, I put down some nitrogen plus iron fertilizer, my yard is a little yellower than I like because of all the rain, but it is bushier than the past couple of years,and I literally have to mow no less than every 3 days, weather permitting, and it's still baleable like straw at that even though I'm mowing 2x a week.
So now that the bare spots are filling in with actual grass, hopefully there's no room for weeds.
Another thing I did last fall was to overseed the He11 out of the yard. And put more down this spring on top of that

Mowed the weeds. Sprayed weed killer last fall, the weeds did wilt but have fully recovered stronger than ever
Any product that actually work?

What are you using Jazz? Got any PAR3?

The key to effective chemical control is that the weeds must be actively growing, so early spring is not yet best and late fall is not either. This time of year is perfect for most weeds as they are actively growing and can absorb chemical readily.

Spraying in summer for weeds is not the best either as many have gone into dormancy with heat and dry...same as grass. The devil is in the details.

Thanks for responses. Previously I did not care about what my ground cover was as long as it wasn’t mud however lately we have developed huge areas of broadleaf.
I was not aware that weeds are to be sprayed when they are actively growing
Our Ibizan hounds did laps in the yard so keeping the perimeter green was a challenge. They have passed on
I would put obstacles in yard to alter their path
Seeding with boulevard turf is hearty for aggressive runners.

Maybe not “today” but this past weekend.... I was finally able to get my garden ploughed up with the Case 444 and 12” Brinly plough. I had troubles with it last year not being able to pull the plow then later on through the winter I was having bad surging issues, ended up changing the hydraulic fluid (15w40) because I suspected it was contaminated. This year with the fresh oil in the system it seemed to have power to spare, I run loaded 9.5-16 ag tires on it and it would spin those occasionally where last year it would load up and stall the tractor. Very happy that it’s working good now, the 444 is my favourite tractor.
Then I was able to get some mowing done, I was going to use the Kubota T1770 but decided to try out my new to me Cub Cadet 122, worked great, few minor bugs to work out. Throttle lever needs tightening, it’s creeping back, and it seems like the PTO clutch turnbuckle must need adjustment or something because you have to pull the lever way bay to get it to disengage. The tractor is pretty slow to mow with though, it could really use a creeper or something, I need a 1.5 gear lol

Attachments

• E283B923-19E5-4C27-B5DF-F24B803A510B.jpeg
    E283B923-19E5-4C27-B5DF-F24B803A510B.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 8
  • 001216A9-CBD6-4C2A-9758-12A97CF1D542.jpeg
    001216A9-CBD6-4C2A-9758-12A97CF1D542.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 8
Maybe not “today” but this past weekend.... I was finally able to get my garden ploughed up with the Case 444 and 12” Brinly plough. I had troubles with it last year not being able to pull the plow then later on through the winter I was having bad surging issues, ended up changing the hydraulic fluid (15w40) because I suspected it was contaminated. This year with the fresh oil in the system it seemed to have power to spare, I run loaded 9.5-16 ag tires on it and it would spin those occasionally where last year it would load up and stall the tractor. Very happy that it’s working good now, the 444 is my favourite tractor.
Then I was able to get some mowing done, I was going to use the Kubota T1770 but decided to try out my new to me Cub Cadet 122, worked great, few minor bugs to work out. Throttle lever needs tightening, it’s creeping back, and it seems like the PTO clutch turnbuckle must need adjustment or something because you have to pull the lever way bay to get it to disengage. The tractor is pretty slow to mow with though, it could really use a creeper or something, I need a 1.5 gear lol

Cub 122 with headlights is my favorite cub cadet for looks. They just look right.

Mowed for a couple hours with the Cub 1512 yesterday late afternoon. Was mowing water in a couple areas even in well drained arear. Have about an hour or so left and will get it as soon as the dew dries off. Need a few more drying days to get back in the garden again. Have to replant all the vine crops. Not the first time that has happened.

Made it to the farm today, 4 hours mowing with the 755, another 1/2 hour or so with it when I got home. Cleaned, fueled & stored the 755, got on the F725 & finished the house yard, enough mowing for a while!

Back