What did you do with your tractor today?

Seeing your posts about that tractor makes me want one. I see them from time to time on craigslist. One beautiful one keeps popping up. 1994. They wanted 1000 for it now it's down to 400.

Sunny and very windy the last two days so never turned a wheel, except for the Ranger side by side. Granddaughter wanted to take her mom for a ride. Since she is only 8 Grandpa had to drive. Getting thunder and some rain this morning.

Started the day fixing the sleeve hitch on the MF10. I did not check the clearance between the sleeve hitch and drawbar, the hitch was hitting the drawbar. A new hole drilled and an inch cut off and I was out plowing a small part of the yard where grass will not grow. After plowing the sleeve hitch came off to mount the tiller. I had ordered a dual kit off ebay and decided to use them on the 10. IMG_20190422_105211999_HDR.jpg
I was able to still use the wheel weights on the inside of the rear tires. IMG_20190422_110638710.jpg Of course the battery ended up being low so the charger had to go on the tractor. While the battery was charging I put a battery in the Case 195 and removed the mowing deck and brought it down to the garage. I am making a frame for a push blade for the Case 195 and need the tractor for some measurements. Been a busy morning for the first day of a week of "vacation"

Looks like everyone has been getting some tractor seat time! I finally did on both MF's. First we had to take the infested couch to the dump then got back home. The MF8E did the trailer pulling duties hauling branches. Grabbed lunch then started mowing with the 12G. Both tractors ran flawlessly and did their designated jobs well! Still have an axle seal leaking on the MF8E though. I've got one more new seal so may need to replace it again.

DSCN1540.JPGDSCN1541.JPG

DAC

DAC, if the axle or bushing in the housing has a lot of wear, you may not stop it from leaking. Do you have enough room in the axle housing to add packing behind the seal?

I sure thought the bushing felt tight before I put the hub and wheel back on but with weight on it I suppose it could feel different now, Brian. That is the new used axle I bought and the wear on it didn't look as much as the broken one. The seal drives in right up to the bushing so there's no room behind it.

They look great Doug. Nice to see green grass.

Noel

Thanks, Noel. Yeah the green grass is SO much better than white!

DAC

I sure thought the bushing felt tight before I put the hub and wheel back on but with weight on it I suppose it could feel different now, Brian. That is the new used axle I bought and the wear on it didn't look as much as the broken one. The seal drives in right up to the bushing so there's no room

Maybe you tore the seal sliding the axle in the housing or the seal was bad to begin with.

Maybe you tore the seal sliding the axle in the housing or the seal was bad to begin with.

That is a definite possibility, Brian. I installed it in the housing while it was off the transaxle then slipped the unit over the axle and bolted it back up. The axle has a snap ring inside the carrier to hold it from coming out. I'm also wondering if there's enough wiggle in the flange bolt holes where the axle is off center just a smidgin. There's no dowels or anything to position the axle housing to the transaxle exactly. There's inner and outer bushings that should have guided it pretty straight I suppose though. Just thinking out loud I guess.

DAC

2 hours mowing done for another week. Mrs used the 22" push mower in a couple small areas and the dog pen. Then went to her Cub 1018 with the 42" deck. Normally run with the deck lowered to the #3 position. She had it in the #4 so cut about and inch high. I did most of the open areas with 1512 Cub and 52" deck. Can sure tell it in my shoulders this morning, steering with one hand with the other on the hydro lever when turning around for another pass. Don't like mowing in circles especially with all the trees, bushes, etc. in our yards.

Last edited:
Garden dried enough I could work it so got the Bolens G16XT with the Sears self powered tiller out and tilled the biggest part of the garden. Basically went over it twice as I did a half lap to be sure I got the center strip tilled up too. Otherwise could have a green strip ever so often across the whole garden. Tomorrow morning will be planting time for the Big Moon Pumpkins, cucs, muskmelon, and what ever else we have left in the seed bag. Granddaughter is here for the night so have to get her Pumpkins planted, then off to her soccer game at 11:00.

Yep, had the LGT 165 Ford out tonite to dig up a small spot. Only 16’ by 4’. Gunna plant blue potatoes and twenty onions.
Jumpins, never even thought about getting a few pictures.
Picture showin is from last year. This is what I was using tonite.

Noel

Attachments

• C85C006D-F55A-457C-AE47-4284C2C3268E.jpeg
    C85C006D-F55A-457C-AE47-4284C2C3268E.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 10
Garden was tilled yesterday. Planting time this morning. One hill of Big Moon, one Zucchini, 2 Burpless Cucumbers, 2 Cantaloupe, and 3 pear tomatoes will go in tomorrow morning. That should take care of the garden planting. Will put mulch around them all when they come up.
SAM_1048.JPG Harper putting the ring around the Zucchini SAM_1049.JPG

SAM_1051.JPG

Back