What did you do with your tractor today?

I finally hooked the tiller up to the Simplicity 7117. It wasn't bad doing the switch from deck to tiller. Now I can do some much needed maintenance on the deck. I couldn't get a plow rigged up for one of my hydros so I just tilled a new 30x25 tater patch. The ole reliable work horse Sears SS15 had rock hauling duties.
20190411_160416.jpg20190411_160532.jpg20190411_161118.jpg

Lance what is your tire & wheel combo on that. It looks nice. You told me once before but I forgot. I've been trying to find a better combo for my 990.

You do know that both of my MTD tractors are 960 right??? so they are 12" wheels.... I just recently picked up at set of 4 Carlisle Badlands XTR.... 270/60R went on the Columbia and the 205/60R went on the Silver 960

074.JPG

You do know that both of my MTD tractors are 960 right??? so they are 12" wheels.... I just recently picked up at set of 4 Carlisle Badlands XTR.... 270/60R went on the Columbia and the 205/60R went on the Silver 960

View attachment 12318
Yeah I knew the silver was a 960 but i thought the Columbia was a 990 because of the flatter fenders. I guess I need to convert the 15's to 12's. The WH 1 1/8th hubs are a fortune. I think there's a ford that has the same hubs. Thanks my friend good to hear from you.

Yeah I knew the silver was a 960 but i thought the Columbia was a 990 because of the flatter fenders. I guess I need to convert the 15's to 12's. The WH 1 1/8th hubs are a fortune. I think there's a ford that has the same hubs. Thanks my friend good to hear from you.

I think all the Columbia models had the flat 990 style fenders.... and they do have a little extra space for tires under them but really I like the 860 style molded seat pan better... its more ridgid... has a spot for a few tools.... but I did have to use rims with 1" less offset to get those 25" tires under there.

I have a Jake built Ford LGT145 here I can check those hubs... and an old Snapper 1650... I think they all used the same 2 speed hydro

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP !!!

A nice neighbor who still farms brought us a load of the good stuff a week ago. He put it on the garden about 1-2" thick... Ripe spring cleaning stuff. Needed watered a couple times before I went and played in it.
So, tonight I plowed it under with the ST16 and then disced it with the new tandem disc behind the 12.
IMG_20190413_194313532.jpgIMG_20190413_200649524.jpg

Last edited:
Garden isn't bad, but the rest of the property is sand and clay with a little topsoil.
Oh, and Lots of rocks.
Alan, can you decrease the angle a little on the back set of discs? Might make them work a bit better. In the video, it looked like they were 'walking', not just rolling.

I think I had both sets set to dig to deep. The angle of attack, if you will.

After the video, I cut it back, and it made a difference. Pressed for time and my "videographer" was doing a few last cartwheels before the mosquitos came out

More weight might help too, but I have to move these by hand some.

I think I had both sets set to dig to deep. The angle of attack, if you will.

After the video, I cut it back, and it made a difference. Pressed for time and my "videographer" was doing a few last cartwheels before the mosquitos came out

More weight might help too, but I have to move these by hand some.
It took me awhile to get my tandem disc right. One 10" cement block over each disc & locked tongues with two bolts to make them disc as one. We have clay & rock too. It's gotten better after 3 years but this year will be the first that I could get some manure on it. Looking good Alan!

Back