What did you do with your tractor today?

Old eagle eye Doug is at it again. Hehehehe. Sees every thing in the picture.

Noel
I can't help it Noel! Out in the shop is my favorite place and I have to look at other people's shops too! Then every now and then I recognize something like that right rear tire!

No, you have to get off and pull the pin up to angle it. They did have a hydraulic angle kit for the newer tractors that had front hydraulic ports, but I don’t have any of them. Is the lift on your tractor factory, or did you add it?

Good eye, there are actually two, sportsman modifieds. They are my dad’s. That block is broken. He had that engine rebuilt, and it turned out the oil pump they used was bad, it blew up in the first race.
View attachment 46957View attachment 46958

The blade setup on my MF8E was home made by someone else well over 30 years ago as I'm pretty sure I got it in 1991---traded for it by lettering a friends dirt track stock car---LOL! The geometry of the blade was bad and the blade couldn't be angled at all or the outer edges of the blade would gouge dirt and gravel badly. It was only about 5 years ago when I finally corrected that, but i still have to get off the tractor to angle the blade, same as yours. I haven't come up with a way to angle and lock from the seat---yet!

gravel 10-20-19.JPG bracket repairs-1.JPG

I thought I had pics of the Cub hydro angle setup but can't find them right now. My hydro system probably couldn't handle 2 cylinders though as it is only a power steering pump. Have thought about changing the lift to manual with the unused implement lever, and putting the cylinder on the blade for angle. Haven't been able to make time for that much changing.

Those are some great looking northeastern modifieds! Mods look a bit different out here in the mid-west. Me and your Dad could be buddies for sure! I was involved at our local dirt track for over 40 years and actually still am in a couple of off track ways. That right rear looks like something we would run on a dry-slick track! What track(s) does your dad race at?

Thanks for the reply!

DAC

The only reason I try to plow when there's 4 or more inches on the driveway is most of the time there's also drifts. I plowed late last year was 6.5 inches with no drifts but fresh gravel that I thought would be best to have a lot of that moisture pushed off. That's my main reason for plowing, to keep the driveway from getting to be a mudhole.

DAC

I can't help it Noel! Out in the shop is my favorite place and I have to look at other people's shops too! Then every now and then I recognize something like that right rear tire!

The blade setup on my MF8E was home made by someone else well over 30 years ago as I'm pretty sure I got it in 1991---traded for it by lettering a friends dirt track stock car---LOL! The geometry of the blade was bad and the blade couldn't be angled at all or the outer edges of the blade would gouge dirt and gravel badly. It was only about 5 years ago when I finally corrected that, but i still have to get off the tractor to angle the blade, same as yours. I haven't come up with a way to angle and lock from the seat---yet!

View attachment 47010 View attachment 47011

I thought I had pics of the Cub hydro angle setup but can't find them right now. My hydro system probably couldn't handle 2 cylinders though as it is only a power steering pump. Have thought about changing the lift to manual with the unused implement lever, and putting the cylinder on the blade for angle. Haven't been able to make time for that much changing.

Those are some great looking northeastern modifieds! Mods look a bit different out here in the mid-west. Me and your Dad could be buddies for sure! I was involved at our local dirt track for over 40 years and actually still am in a couple of off track ways. That right rear looks like something we would run on a dry-slick track! What track(s) does your dad race at?

Thanks for the reply!

DAC
Here’s a few pictures of an angle mechanism a guy on OCC made to give you some ideas.
2EAFDB40-B0CD-4AEA-9D58-922E82D530EB.jpeg9F4675DE-FD57-41FE-90C4-7867723C7157.jpeg604B3977-18F7-4DEB-9020-236BCF48B8DE.jpeg5780EE57-07B2-46F9-B783-8296579DCEF1.jpeg
Heres a link to the thread: Snow Plow Angle Mechanism - Only Cub Cadets

Yea, you two would get along good. He also does the vinyl lettering like you. He mainly races at Big Diamond in Minersville, PA. He‘s also been to Penn Can, Five Mile Point, and Grandview. I think this year will be his 7th season with these cars, he raced micro sprints for a few years before that.

Last edited:
Here’s a few pictures of an angle mechanism a guy on OCC made to give you some ideas.
View attachment 47127View attachment 47128View attachment 47129View attachment 47130
Heres a link to the thread: Snow Plow Angle Mechanism - Only Cub Cadets

Yea, you two would get along good. He also does the vinyl lettering like you. He mainly races at Big Diamond in Minersville, PA. He‘s also been to Penn Can, Five Mile Point, and Grandview. I think this year will be his 7th season with these cars, he raced micro sprints for a few years before that.
That angle mechanism is pretty much what I have been trying to visualize in my head! A cable setup of some sort to lift the lock pin and a rod sliding through an eyebolt to pull and push! Never thought about plumbing pipe for linkage, but it looks like it works well for him! Thanks for those pics, IHCub!

I will have to do a search for those tracks your Dad races at! Cool that he's a vinyl cutter too! Got a lot in common! Once a person starts racing it's pretty hard to not turn it into a lifestyle! Are you going to try your hand at it?

DAC

Once a person starts racing it's pretty hard to not turn it into a lifestyle! Are you going to try your hand at it?
Yep. Race Friday night, take it apart and wash it Saturday, then spend the rest of the week working on it. When he first started, he didn’t plan on racing every week, just go once in a while and have fun. After the first time he was hooked. I like watching and helping with the car, but don’t really have much interest in actually racing.

Plan to fire the Satoh up and haul a bucket of fire wood to the house. Need to drain the rear end, clean the filter and refill with Hytran. Will adda little of Lucas hydro oil conditioner and leak stop. Might stop or at least slow the seep at the control spools for the loader.

Plan to fire the Satoh up and haul a bucket of fire wood to the house. Need to drain the rear end, clean the filter and refill with Hytran. Will adda little of Lucas hydro oil conditioner and leak stop. Might stop or at least slow the seep at the control spools for the loader.
Is that a combo conditioner and stop leak or two different products. Let us know how that works out for you.
Don

It is a combo conditioner/stop leak. I have used it in the past for small seeping type leaks. When I was in the haying business I used it tin the hydraulic system that run the accumulator. When hydraulic oil gets real hot it gets real thin and looses some of its pressure qualities. This would slow down the operation of the accumulator which was a timed system that had to work fast to coincide with the baler. When the accumulator slowed I would have to slow the baler ground speed down to match. This conditioner kept the oil from thinning down so much as to slow the response of the accumulator. Kind of a long winded answer but hope it gives a better understanding of what it does.

It's not what I did but what I did not do. Propane1 had made up a push blade for his loader tractor. I had an extra 42" blade in the corner and considered doing something similar. I was going to remove the pallet forks from another attachment I had made and replace them with the 42" blade. However after looking it over I decided it wouldn't turn to either side and would be a straight push which I could do with the bucket. Besides I have two other units with blades ready to go. I put things up and came back in.
So yeah. It's what I didn't do today

Attachments

• 20220108_152253.jpg
    20220108_152253.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220108_152406.jpg
    20220108_152406.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220108_152412.jpg
    20220108_152412.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 6
Back