What did you do with your tractor today?

Not a good day for cutting grass. I started out with the Cub LT1050 no start. The aftermarket starter has never been able to spin the engine very fast. I found out later these have been replaced with a much stronger starter but at the price of $120. Anyway I found no spark from either plug, I’ll deal with it later. I got Hoopdy out and cut for about an hour almost done when Carol starts yelling HAWK! I shut it off and helped her put the chickens in. These chickens can be aggravating when we try to put them up before their normal free range time. After being a chicken wrangler for around 20 minutes I saddled up to finish cutting, no start! It’s getting gas so put the spark tester on and no spark. I’m thinking it’s time for a break. I went back out about a half hour later and still no spark. I took the shroud off of the Cub and full of mice nests and chewed wires again for the second time this year. I even had a bag of moth balls laying on top of the shroud. I got the push mower out and started to finish up but tried Hoopdy again and it started. Hallelujah! I must have a bad connection somewhere in Hoopdy so I’ll be checking that out soon.
E6A716A3-1A94-40E7-9989-C310DBFDF11D.jpeg964F2AD2-7DB6-49DC-996A-2B7D1AD2EFD3.jpeg

Not a good day for cutting grass. I started out with the Cub LT1050 no start. The aftermarket starter has never been able to spin the engine very fast. I found out later these have been replaced with a much stronger starter but at the price of $120. Anyway I found no spark from either plug, I’ll deal with it later. I got Hoopdy out and cut for about an hour almost done when Carol starts yelling HAWK! I shut it off and helped her put the chickens in. These chickens can be aggravating when we try to put them up before their normal free range time. After being a chicken wrangler for around 20 minutes I saddled up to finish cutting, no start! It’s getting gas so put the spark tester on and no spark. I’m thinking it’s time for a break. I went back out about a half hour later and still no spark. I took the shroud off of the Cub and full of mice nests and chewed wires again for the second time this year. I even had a bag of moth balls laying on top of the shroud. I got the push mower out and started to finish up but tried Hoopdy again and it started. Hallelujah! I must have a bad connection somewhere in Hoopdy so I’ll be checking that out soon.
View attachment 58367View attachment 58368
That nest looks pretty fresh, Jim! Grass still looks to have some green in it. Too bad you didn't cook one or two at least for the trouble they are causing. I have heard that wire insulation is soy-based rather than oil based materials now. Plant based makes it good food for rodents and rabbits!
Good luck with those critters!

DAC

That nest looks pretty fresh, Jim! Grass still looks to have some green in it. Too bad you didn't cook one or two at least for the trouble they are causing. I have heard that wire insulation is soy-based rather than oil based materials now. Plant based makes it good food for rodents and rabbits!
Good luck with those critters!

DAC
I read that too for some reason they love this tractor

Did a "Mowing Saturday" this week much to Noel's disappointment, but the weather was perfect and the grass had gotten pretty shaggy. My wife is out of town but my son did throw a wrench into things. He is single and came down with covid. Work at Walmart so probably every employee there gets it at one time or another. I picked up some things for him this morning when I went to get a JD110 gas tank. I bought fried chicken and mac-cheese for him and some juice. He's doing ok but hasn't slept or eaten for a couple days. Left the stuff in the fridge and never actually saw him. Said he ate half of the tub of mac and cheese and drank half a bottle of juice. Even got a two hour nap!

So I didn't even start mowing until mid afternoon. About an hour into it I heard a loud snap and the blades quit spinning on the MF12G! Looked down at the pulleys and there was no belt! Got back to the shop and fortunately the belt looks fine!
DSCN4536.JPG

There is a lot of twigs falling out of the cottonwoods and I imagine that's what derailed it. Kind of a pain crawling around on my knees to put that belt back on with the mower deck under the tractor but about 15 minutes later after I found the routing drawing I keep in one of the tool roller cabinets, we were back in business. Got it all done with no more incidents so all in all it was still a good mowing day for the old tractor!

Blew the debris off and put it back in the shop.
DSCN4537.JPG

DAC

Started my day out with a good breakfast.
1D0303F7-A98B-4A87-93C4-26A07992E580.jpeg
I cleaned up the mouse damage on the Cub LT1050. It wasn’t near as bad before. I had to clean the coils, replace one of the coil connectors, and tape a small area that had just a little of the insulation surface nicked.
CADAD8BD-8AC4-4A87-A8D9-A810B12A2095.jpegBB6E147E-AD47-4C71-B598-0674EEE3B85D.jpeg343F4EBA-2FBD-42D7-B8DC-73F17BD9F107.jpeg
I go to start it and the solenoid just clicks but no starter engaging. I’ll have to check that out maybe tomorrow when it’s raining, I have a lot to do today.

I cut grass with Hoopdy for about two hours then ran the string trimmer for another hour and half. This weed area only gets cut about 3-4 times a year, this was the fourth time so I’m hoping this is the last for this year. Got the MTD990 out with the trailer and gathered up all the corn stalks I cut down a couple of weeks ago and helped Carol bunch them up for her Fall decorations.
F17377B6-53EB-442A-8B91-439A65489D55.jpeg1D884D10-93C9-4853-86A1-319780F3D45A.jpeg60930409-0703-4FB8-B21E-DE52CC45FA39.jpeg
I cleaned up and helped her finish juicing the tomatoes for about an hour. Tiring but a blessed day with a lot done.

Did a "Mowing Saturday" this week much to Noel's disappointment, but the weather was perfect and the grass had gotten pretty shaggy. My wife is out of town but my son did throw a wrench into things. He is single and came down with covid. Work at Walmart so probably every employee there gets it at one time or another. I picked up some things for him this morning when I went to get a JD110 gas tank. I bought fried chicken and mac-cheese for him and some juice. He's doing ok but hasn't slept or eaten for a couple days. Left the stuff in the fridge and never actually saw him. Said he ate half of the tub of mac and cheese and drank half a bottle of juice. Even got a two hour nap!

So I didn't even start mowing until mid afternoon. About an hour into it I heard a loud snap and the blades quit spinning on the MF12G! Looked down at the pulleys and there was no belt! Got back to the shop and fortunately the belt looks fine!
View attachment 58509

There is a lot of twigs falling out of the cottonwoods and I imagine that's what derailed it. Kind of a pain crawling around on my knees to put that belt back on with the mower deck under the tractor but about 15 minutes later after I found the routing drawing I keep in one of the tool roller cabinets, we were back in business. Got it all done with no more incidents so all in all it was still a good mowing day for the old tractor!

Blew the debris off and put it back in the shop.
View attachment 58510

DAC

How are we supposed to keep up with the mowing stories if you don’t do the mowing always on Monday Doug !!!!

You should of had a hoist, much easier to put the belt back on. Just a thought Doug.

Hehe.

To bad about your son Doug. Hopefully he gets better soon. And hopefully you don’t get it from him.

Noel

Dug my MF 10 out of the shed it has been in for the past 1 years. Rode it down the back yard hill with no power and then winched it up close to the garage. A new battery and gas and it was running again, the control for the variable speed is worn out and messed up. When I go to put it in 1 and brake it will only go to the 3rd position. All the linkage is worn out, I plan on taking the tower off and pulling it all apart to fix. The MF12G needed some minor stuff done; battery hold down, gas tank installed, and new seat. It also needed the variable speed adjusted correctly, the brake was not engaging when the clutch was pushed down. It is adjusted correctly and done. IMG_20220911_144706185_HDR (2).jpg

Dug my MF 10 out of the shed it has been in for the past 1 years. Rode it down the back yard hill with no power and then winched it up close to the garage. A new battery and gas and it was running again, the control for the variable speed is worn out and messed up. When I go to put it in 1 and brake it will only go to the 3rd position. All the linkage is worn out, I plan on taking the tower off and pulling it all apart to fix. The MF12G needed some minor stuff done; battery hold down, gas tank installed, and new seat. It also needed the variable speed adjusted correctly, the brake was not engaging when the clutch was pushed down. It is adjusted correctly and done. View attachment 58538

Nice looking tractors. I like the narrow tires.

Noel

Dug my MF 10 out of the shed it has been in for the past 1 years. Rode it down the back yard hill with no power and then winched it up close to the garage. A new battery and gas and it was running again, the control for the variable speed is worn out and messed up. When I go to put it in 1 and brake it will only go to the 3rd position. All the linkage is worn out, I plan on taking the tower off and pulling it all apart to fix. The MF12G needed some minor stuff done; battery hold down, gas tank installed, and new seat. It also needed the variable speed adjusted correctly, the brake was not engaging when the clutch was pushed down. It is adjusted correctly and done. View attachment 58538
Nice to hear from you, Ted! Tractors are looking good! Think I need to adjust the Vari-Speed on my 12G too. No change in speed 4th to 5th. Don't ever need to go that fast though!

DAC

Last edited:
How are we supposed to keep up with the mowing stories if you don’t do the mowing always on Monday Doug !!!!

You should of had a hoist, much easier to put the belt back on. Just a thought Doug.

Hehe.

To bad about your son Doug. Hopefully he gets better soon. And hopefully you don’t get it from him.

Noel
Now there you go rubbing it in about having a hoist again Noel,---LOL! I know my consistency on Mondays ain't been good. You will have to adjust your reading to more than Monday,---LOL! I thought mowing was darnnear over for the year but there seems to be a late summer growing spurt!

Thanks about our son. He is healing up but has a ways to go. He is eating now and says he can kind of taste things so that's good sign. Don't know when he is going to test again. So far so good for me.

DAC

Our grass never did get to the brown stage this year even as dry and hot as it was most of the summer. Don't mow is shorter than 3" through the hot weather which helps keep it green. Will mow shorter now that its cooler and we had some rain. Mowed last Friday but some of it it could used another clipping. After an inch of rain Saturday will be good for a few weeks again.

I had recently acquired a Kubota T2380 mower, and used it to mow the grass.
The wife never did like operating the Country Clipper, so I sold it today. She does like the Kubota, especially with the suspension of the operator area.
The P.O. couldn't remember if it was a 2013 or 2014. It hasn't, been used for the last year and a half since he has hired the yard work done. He has gone to an assisted living complex and called me to come buy his mower. No hour meter but I know he didn't have more than 30 hours a year on it when he did use it. Looks like brand new. We called the dealer he bought it from and who always serviced it to get an idea of its value. They gave him an estimate of its price range. He then sold it to me for its low value, and wouldn't take more.
The Country Clipper sold almost as fast as I listed it. The gentleman show up on time. Test drove it, Took it home. Along with the mulching kit, extra blades, filters and owners manual.

Attachments

• 20220916_140016.jpg
    20220916_140016.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220916_140022.jpg
    20220916_140022.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220916_140033.jpg
    20220916_140033.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220916_140043.jpg
    20220916_140043.jpg