Workin' on the Old Tractors

Yep, over 20 yrs in the autobody trade. Now I do mostly my own stuff and just a few side jobs.

I picked this up last year from Vevor. One bulb was broken during shipping and they sent me a replacement but I haven't installed it yet. I occasionally need to paint something when its really cold out in the shop and figured one of these lamps would do the trick. Thought this would be better than stoking up a fire and running the propane heater for half of the day to warm the whole shop up in order to paint.
I figured the farm was your life profession but with these skills, should have known you had an auto body profession at one time too! If I lived near you I could give you a couple of those "side jobs"! I'm not great at autobody and with my health I probably shouldn't be doing sanding and painting anymore.

The infrared lights are better at drying paint than other heat sources since they warm up the objects.

DAC

Worked on the John Deere AO today. Got the carb assembled and installed and then mounted up the starter. Used a remote tank for fuel and found a couple small leaks in the carb. I reused the old gaskets which are causing the problem. Managed to get the leaks under control and went for startup. Fired right away, then dropped a cylinder, and then the other as a large smoke cloud poured out of the muffler. I had shot a lot of oil and ATF/Acetone mix in the cylinder a while back. I guess it was more than it could burn off and it fowled the plugs. Cleaned them up and tried again this time it kept running and the smoke slowly dissipated. I need to pull the carb back off and swap out the gaskets. Then the fuel tank needs to come off so I can find here the leak is. I shot a video after it was running.

Doing some clean up to gain some parking for a few of the old tractors. I've taken out a bunch of blackberries and rearranged some of the junk. A little more work and it will be ready for a couple tractors. This spot is just behind where the MM ZAN was parked.

Attachments

• 100_6424-m.JPG
    100_6424-m.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_6469-m.JPG
    100_6469-m.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_6550-m.JPG
    100_6550-m.JPG
    463.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_6560-m.JPG
    100_6560-m.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 12
  • GOPR4919-m.JPG
    GOPR4919-m.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 14
  • GOPR4920-m.JPG
    GOPR4920-m.JPG
    486.4 KB · Views: 14
  • GOPR4921-m.JPG
    GOPR4921-m.JPG
    431.9 KB · Views: 20
I don't know what happened with this area. It used to be a nice, bare area to park stuff beside the shop. You turn around and its all grown up with stuff. Found an old pic from 2006 that shows it just after putting in some fill and leveling.

I used the ladder to get up on the 40 ft container for the pic. While up there, I can see I need to clean the roof and lean-to of the Cedar tree droppings. I would like to get a drone to get pics and video around the farm here also.

Attachments

• photo001.jpg
    photo001.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 7
I've got a "Holystone" drone that Loree gave me several years ago for Christmas. That one is fairly large but it is too touchy and reacts too fast for my slow reactions. Should sell it to some kid with lightning quick reflexes. Our daughter gave me her old DJI drone and I have flown it successfully before, just don't make enough time to use it much. She is a commercial drone pilot and uses drones in her business often.

DAC

I've got a "Holystone" drone that Loree gave me several years ago for Christmas. That one is fairly large but it is too touchy and reacts too fast for my slow reactions. Should sell it to some kid with lightning quick reflexes. Our daughter gave me her old DJI drone and I have flown it successfully before, just don't make enough time to use it much. She is a commercial drone pilot and uses drones in her business often.

DAC
I keep looking at the DJI Mini 4 Pro but don't like the price. Maybe if I can dig up a couple tractor painting jobs this winter. I may have one already for the president of the John Deere club. I repaired and painted the grille on his John Deere D last year.

I keep looking at the DJI Mini 4 Pro but don't like the price. Maybe if I can dig up a couple tractor painting jobs this winter. I may have one already for the president of the John Deere club. I repaired and painted the grille on his John Deere D last year.
That would be cool to get some worked lined up to pay for one, CJet. I remember you doing that grill repair also. Hit and run if I remember correctly.

I have no expertise, but I know my Mini 2 flies real nice. They are light enough that they don't have to be registered with the FCC. Camera takes great videos and still pics too.

DSCN6579.JPG

DSCN6580.JPG

DSCN6582.JPG

DAC

That would be cool to get some worked lined up to pay for one, CJet. I remember you doing that grill repair also. Hit and run if I remember correctly.

I have no expertise, but I know my Mini 2 flies real nice. They are light enough that they don't have to be registered with the FCC. Camera takes great videos and still pics too.

View attachment 86590

View attachment 86591

View attachment 86592

DAC
Yep, hit and run at the tractor show. When he came to pick up the grille he asked how much. I told him it was no charge and he looked at me funny. I reminded him that he gave us some parts he had left over from one of his restorations which included a good crankshaft and several other good parts. He was all smiles when he left.

I watched some reviews on those drones and it sounds like they keep making improvements like upgraded camera's and better obstacle avoidance sensors which would be good for me starting out. I also like the feature where they will lock on and follow a person, vehicle, or tractor.

I think they lock on to the cell phone. I watched a video my daughter made on this drone following her while driving through farmland near Aberdeen, SD where she lives. Pretty interesting just watching that much less flying one. Her boyfriend was with her so she wasn't trying to drive and watch the phone at the same time. He is a commercial licensed drone pilot too.

DAC

I have had a cheap drone for a couple years now. Have flew it a few times but the issue is the wind. Early morning or later evening is about the only time we do not have wind of some kind. With crop ground and CRP if it ever went down, it would be lost forever so haven't had it out for some time. It is supposed to link with a smart phone for photos, etc. also but I do not do smart phones so that leaves me out. Grandkids live in tow so not much for places for them to fly it either. Gave their boy a toy one and after he flew it into his face he lost it.

The new gaskets and carb fuel strainer lid with screen arrived for the John Deere AO. The screen is missing from the original lid and replacement screens are back ordered at this time. This should stop the fuel from weeping out around a couple of the old gaskets and keep some of the crud from getting into the carb..

Attachments

• 100_6757-m.JPG
    100_6757-m.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_6758-m.JPG
    100_6758-m.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_6761-m.JPG
    100_6761-m.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 4
Back