And more junk.

Everything looks great Doug we recently got a sectional similar to yours. The electric seats are really nice to have. The lift worked out well with plenty of storage underneath too.
It seems like a pretty comfortable couch, Jim! Sat on it for a few hours last night! Kind of an impulse buy on Loree's part but she chose a good one it seems. Never owned a recliner before. Yeah having the lift has really increased the potential of getting some stuff done in the shop!

VERY nice work on the stones! They will be proud looking down on their fine stones!
Lift sure has worked out well!
Glad you like them, Daniel! I never knew Fred, but did know Jennie. She had a head full of history, and fortunately she did write down quite a bit of her memories. It was a very hard life being a woman homesteader. Even after they got married, Fred was gone a lot as he traded and sold horses in a 3 or 4 state area. I love having that lift!

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone!

I missed a couple days here on the forum! Saturday, I did get a lot of work done on the '72 GMC. Changed the oil, filled fluids, checked u-joints and the carrier bearing, and things like that. I need to get my jack built to lift vehicles up to pull the wheels and be able to reach zirks and do more detailed chassis work.

Lowered it down to fill with oil, and put a new accelerator pump and power valve in the 600 Holley carb. Got that all done, and went to fire it up to warm up the oil and adjust the carb after installing the new pieces. It wouldn't even try to start unless I held the throttle wide open. Very very rich! It was getting late and supper was ready so I gave it up until Sunday.

Got back on it and took the front bowl and metering block back off the carb again. Everything looked great. Decided that maybe the brand-new power valve may be bad but I don't have a test adapter for my vacuum gun for Holley power valves. Dug around in some junk for awhile and found a small rubber grommet that I thought might work if I held it on there right. The new valve would not hold vacuum! It came out of a genuine Holley rebuild kit! I tested the old one and it was bad too but not near as bad as the new one. It was a slow leaker. Didn't want to put that in either. Dug around in more junk in my carb stuff and found another power valve, don't know if it was new or used but it was holding vacuum! Put that in and the old truck fired right up! All that to try to help a little stumble off-idle! It helped that issue at least. Got done in time to clean up and watch the All star race!

Today was a "Mowing Monday", Noel---LOL!

DAC

I've been busy in the house and in the shop but nothing interesting enough to post. No work today. It was time to go visit relatives graves at 4 different cemeteries in the northern Black Hills.

We have several relatives and a couple of friends at the Black Hills National Cemetery near Sturgis. Here are a few pics of that nicely kept resting place for those who served.
DSCN5248.JPG DSCN5249.JPG

DSCN5250.JPG DSCN5251.JPG

Notice the soldier standing over the site in the second pic. There were many soldiers scattered though the cemetery to help people find the graves of loved ones and they would find the grave very fast!

Our family is one of the lucky ones. All of the Veterans in our family survived the various wars. Two were severely injured but pulled through.

We are very thankful for that but most importantly we honor those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

DAC

We made our North cemetery run this past Wednesday. Was a good day for it and good shake down run for the new to me truck. About 280 miles and averaged 17.8 mpg. Takes a bit to learn how to drive one with the V8/V4 engine set up in rolling hills. One thing for sure you don't use cruse. Carolyn met her niece and they covered their family's two cemeteries Friday before the traffic hit.

During the sandblasting project, the air compressor was running so much it pretty much killed the pressure switch. I would have to go wiggle the shut off lever to get the switch to kick on again. Ordered a new one a week ago and it came in yesterday. Didn't get time to work on it yesterday as our son is moving into a new apartment and we were helping on that.

Cut some stickers today, did a couple errands in town and got on that switch. The new one was plumbed a little different where I had to pull a little more line cable in but there was plenty of slack for that. It's working fine again.

Tomorrow may be more moving as our son has Friday's off work. I think Loree is getting off around noon too.

DAC

Same here Chris seems like I’m more constructive for others than at home. Books and workout equipment is what I hate to move. I helped my son break down his weight equipment when we moved, then when he moved to an apartment, once again when they bought their house. I told him this was it no more. Our DIL had a ton of books in boxes it took forever to get them moved. We’re just too old for moving. Glad you got him all done Doug that’s what we do.

Well I didn’t really think it would be a lot of fun, I suppose Doug. But being with son with your wife is a good thing, doing stuff together.

Noel
I know what you mean, Noel, time with family is priceless! He was at work today, but Loree got some more stuff together for him to take. He came by after he got off and they went. No need for all 3 of us today.

Good luck with that! It sure doesn't work for me.
I did get a little shop time today, Chris, after laundry and a couple other chores in the house today! Story below.

Same here Chris seems like I’m more constructive for others than at home. Books and workout equipment is what I hate to move. I helped my son break down his weight equipment when we moved, then when he moved to an apartment, once again when they bought their house. I told him this was it no more. Our DIL had a ton of books in boxes it took forever to get them moved. We’re just too old for moving. Glad you got him all done Doug that’s what we do.
He still has a new couch coming, Jim, but the furniture store will do the hauling on that! Best part is he is also taking some of his stuff that was stored here! He now has room for more!

Call a moving Co. or "2 men and a truck" and keep your sanity and back.
Never thought about that, but it wasn't in the budget for he or us anyway, Roger. Sanity was ok, back, not so much!

When someone is moving my wife won't let me do any heavy lifting, she's afraid I will have a heart attack die on her so I get to sit back and watch.
She's trying to keep you around for everyone, long as possible Rad! With your health issues, please listen to her!

I got a project started that has been waiting for quite a while. This pickup box crane has been laying around the shop for a long time.
DSCN5296.JPG

Cut a piece of 1/2" plate off of this that has been laying around here for a long time too. DSCN5292.JPG

Drilled it to fit the base of the crane and welded it to a hitch for a receiver.
DSCN5288.JPG DSCN5289.JPG

DSCN5290.JPG DSCN5291.JPG

Far as I got on it so far, but welding was interrupted by the old auto dark helmet refusing to work. Put new batteries in it but still didn't work. Had to do it the old fashion way with a standard lens helmet. After that I removed the auto dark unit from the helmet, took the batteries out and put them back in and the darn thing worked!
DSCN5293.JPG DSCN5294.JPG

DSCN5295.JPG

Might be time to consider a new one but since it started working again, I will give it one more chance!

I've got a couple of reversable camper jack winches that I think one of them may get adapted to this crane too. It only folds down to about 90* with the base so picking stuff up off the ground will require a couple feet of chain or strap. That will hurt lifting height.

Will be able to use this on a truck or the MF1450. Will have to build a front weight box on the tractor.

I'll get a spraybomb out and give that a coat of paint probably Tuesday.

DAC

That will be handy Doug. Is there a story about your vise. That’s an FPU Bison made in Poland. They are rare in the US and pricey!
That 6" vise was laying in the dirt inside of a collapsing garage out at Loree's aunt's ranch, Jim. I asked her about it and she said take it. The handle end jaw being stationary and the rear jaw moving is opposite of all vise's I've ever seen before! I did google FPU vise and found out it was made in Poland possibly in the late 1980's. I didn't know the model name on it was "Bison". Thanks for that info!

DAC

Back