And more junk.

That will be a neat thing to have Doug.

Noel
Thanks, Noel!

After "Mowing Monday" I still had enough ambition to mount that crane on the MF1450. Painted the mount plate and it was hot enough today that it dried pretty fast outside. This is what it looks like so far.

DSCN5300.JPG

DSCN5299.JPG

Maybe tomorrow I can start on the winch idea. Think I want to build an adapter to raise the whole thing higher if needed too.

DAC

Lookin great Doug. That will be handy for sure.

I had to do a “Mowing Sunday” here this past Sunday. Don’t like doing that, but grass was long at both places and we are having rain all this week. Could be a “ Mowing Sunday “ this weekend too.

Noel

That thing is sweet! Use your pickup if the garden tractor can't handle it.
Yes, Chris, it should work fine with any vehicle with a 2" receiver.

Lookin great Doug. That will be handy for sure.

I had to do a “Mowing Sunday” here this past Sunday. Don’t like doing that, but grass was long at both places and we are having rain all this week. Could be a “ Mowing Sunday “ this weekend too.

Noel
My mowing days won't always be Monday either. Gotta do what you gotta do!

Thanks for the comments and likes, guys!

Got some more done to the crane today.

I brought in the camper jacks I was going to rob the winches from, but they don't reverse either. If you let go of the handle in the down position it's a free fall. I left them intact and just used a different one I had around. It ratchets down but will freewheel too if the operator lets go of the handle. Think I can remember not to let go.
DSCN5301.JPG

Welded on a chunk of square tubing to the boom to use as a mount for the winch.
DSCN5302.JPG

Then I found a pulley for the cable to roll through on the boom end. Notched and drilled the boom extension to accept the pulley.
DSCN5303.JPG

A full propane bottle lifts easy with the boom extended, BUT
DSCN5304.JPG

as expected, the MF1450 needs front weight to lift the front of the MF12G! With the boom in the shortest hole, I could push the 1450 down and it would lift the 12G.
DSCN5305.JPG DSCN5306.JPG

Building a jack handle holder, and a bolt on strap over the pulley will be next, then a weight box for the 1450. It could be used as-is on a truck now.
DSCN5307.JPG DSCN5308.JPG

DAC

I’m seeing maybe a weak point at the bottom of your 2x2 hitch area. Under a load that area might act like a hinge and cause the whole thing to drop down.
FB44C71A-877E-4A16-A10F-2FBAD8B25C1A.png

If you had something like a center link connecting your main mast to the top of your A frame where that red handled pin is that would support your mast from leaning over when it’s holding a load.
F6EB382A-18E3-4D28-91F6-E81510BF7C17.jpeg

Yes, Chris, it should work fine with any vehicle with a 2" receiver.

My mowing days won't always be Monday either. Gotta do what you gotta do!

Thanks for the comments and likes, guys!

Got some more done to the crane today.

I brought in the camper jacks I was going to rob the winches from, but they don't reverse either. If you let go of the handle in the down position it's a free fall. I left them intact and just used a different one I had around. It ratchets down but will freewheel too if the operator lets go of the handle. Think I can remember not to let go.
View attachment 69591

Welded on a chunk of square tubing to the boom to use as a mount for the winch.
View attachment 69592

Then I found a pulley for the cable to roll through on the boom end. Notched and drilled the boom extension to accept the pulley.
View attachment 69593

A full propane bottle lifts easy with the boom extended, BUT
View attachment 69594

as expected, the MF1450 needs front weight to lift the front of the MF12G! With the boom in the shortest hole, I could push the 1450 down and it would lift the 12G.
View attachment 69595 View attachment 69596

Building a jack handle holder, and a bolt on strap over the pulley will be next, then a weight box for the 1450. It could be used as-is on a truck now.
View attachment 69597 View attachment 69598

DAC
Cool project you got there Doug.
Gotta ask though. You missing work yet ?
I know it wasn't long after I took retirement that I asked myself " how in the world did I find time to work ? "

I’m seeing maybe a weak point at the bottom of your 2x2 hitch area. Under a load that area might act like a hinge and cause the whole thing to drop down.
View attachment 69607

If you had something like a center link connecting your main mast to the top of your A frame where that red handled pin is that would support your mast from leaning over when it’s holding a load.
View attachment 69608
That may be the weak link, Jim. I used a 500# tongue weight Draw-Tite hitch. I didn't figure this thing could actually be useful for much more than 500#, even on a truck. That's why it is bolted on, in case I need it to lift something heavier it can be repurposed to a different mount like in a pickup box.

I think he'll be ok if he keeps it on the tractor. Even if he adds weight to the front. He could box the end of the tube and that would help.
Probably won't lift anything heavy enough to break that, but boxing the open end is a good idea, Chris!

Lookin good Doug. I’m guessing your gunna need about 200 lbs up front.

Noel
I was hoping 100# Noel, but I think your estimate is more accurate. My plan was a 12"x12"x12" inside dimension box that would hold 4-25# concrete test cylinders since I have a bunch of them. Don't think that is enough to lift and pull a disabled tractor now.

Cool project you got there Doug.
Gotta ask though. You missing work yet ?
I know it wasn't long after I took retirement that I asked myself " how in the world did I find time to work ? "
Missing work? Not a damm bit, Bill---LOL! Everything got put off is how I found time to go to work---LOL!

I went to the plant to pick up eggs from our supplier today. He said he had some junk he was gonna throw in the scrap trailer if I didn't want them. Of course, I took the stuff since they were Chevy V-8 parts! Scored again 2 months after leaving---LOL!

The parts look like junk to most folks but I have two trucks that use them and some stuff may fit the '55 too.
IMG_0943.jpg

This is the scrap trailer.
IMG_0942.jpg

DAC

I think the plant bought that trailer about 5 years ago, Roger. Probably has less than 50 miles pulling on it. Just sits there with junk getting thrown in it. Management is too stupid to give someone a work order to haul it to the dump and empty it.

I had doc appointments this afternoon so didn't get much done. Got home about 4 and looked at the barbell weights that I was thinking could be converted to wheel weights some day. They may have to become front weight for the MF1450. Almost up to the 200# that Noel figured at 191# By the time brackets to hold them get built, there will easily be over 200#.

DSCN5309.JPG

DSCN5310.JPG

DSCN5311.JPG

Then this is what I have to work with on the front of the tractor. Will bolt to the widest of those holes on the front frame, then triangulate down to the attachment fingers on either side of the axle pivot bolt.
DSCN5312.JPG

DAC

Back