And more junk.

The GTtalk hats bring good memories Doug. I needed two round knobs for my MTD990 lift and throttle levers. These were ridiculously priced. I robbed two hardwood balls from Carols craft stuff and cut the slots then pressed them on so they can still be removed.

Attachments

• 293EB470-5540-4F47-8E4D-5D23F6DD031E.jpeg
    293EB470-5540-4F47-8E4D-5D23F6DD031E.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 8
Have a good day.
Hehe. I have a MF hat I keep good for special reasons.
Have a good time Doug.

Noel
Thanks guys, will go stuff down a few pieces of fried chicken, listen to the girls yap for awhile and come back home. Not many kids left in the family. I think there's only a couple school age ones left. There will be some nieces and nephews there but all of them are adults and none have kids.

The GTtalk hats bring good memories Doug. I needed two round knobs for my MTD990 lift and throttle levers. These were ridiculously priced. I robbed two hardwood balls from Carols craft stuff and cut the slots then pressed them on so they can still be removed.
Yeah Jim GTT is where I learned tractors can be cool! No way to tell those knobs are wooden! That is a beautiful dash layout on that tractor too!

DAC

Thanks guys, will go stuff down a few pieces of fried chicken, listen to the girls yap for awhile and come back home. Not many kids left in the family. I think there's only a couple school age ones left. There will be some nieces and nephews there but all of them are adults and none have kids.

Yeah Jim GTT is where I learned tractors can be cool! No way to tell those knobs are wooden! That is a beautiful dash layout on that tractor too!

DAC
Thanks Doug that dash has a reproduction vinyl by Clickitandstickit that does outstanding reproduction decals and stickers for vintage tractors.

The JD110 runs and moves under it's own power!

First I had to work on our well, after a PT appointment for my back. The pressure tank had fallen over against the pump. Used that receiver hitch crane to lift the tank and put new support under it. Not with the MF1450 though. Used it on the '06 Denali as I could pile some tools in the back and not walk back and forth to the shop. No pics. It looked like rain and I rushed through it.

Figured it was time to tinker with the JD110. Got a battery off a maintainer and hooked it up. The new solenoid fixed the no crank problem. Turned the switch and it cranked over. Stuck the spark tester on it and there was good spark. Sqirted some ether in the carb and it would try to run with the throttle open. Decided to try to cobble the plastic fuel tank into it and see if it will run on gas.
DSCN5480.JPG DSCN5481.JPG

Adjusted the hi and idle mixture screws to the JD manual and started cranking. No start. Could smell gas. No leaking. Tried it again and remembered to open up the throttle. It fired and ran instantly! No smoke and very little carb adjustment needed. It's running in this pic but you can't tell.
DSCN5482.JPG

I don't think it revs high enough at full throttle. Will have to take the carb off and move the governor link out to the furthest hole. I just put it where it was on the original carb. The seat is way too close but it's junk anyway. I put my butt in the seat, figured out the pedal lock knob and drove it out of the shop. All 3 forward gears and reverse work. No bad noises from the transaxle. The variable speed does not work. The lever just flops forward and back but nothing happens as far as changing speed goes. It is fairly slow even in 3rd gear so the variator must be stuck in a pretty slow position. I'm still not sure how to engage the mower deck so didn't try it yet.
DSCN5483.JPG

I'm not going to go nuts spending money on this thing, but I better get some front tires coming at least, and get the little LT left front off of it.

Still need to make a decision on the fuel tank. I am thinking about cutting the original one open to clean on the baffled side and cut the baffle out and clean that side. If it cleans out ok, try flanging one half and soldering it back together. I know my welding skills couldn't put it back together leak free. I used to be good with solder when I was a kid, maybe it can be done by an old fart. It would only end up about an inch shorter than it was originally.

DAC

The JD110 runs and moves under it's own power!

First I had to work on our well, after a PT appointment for my back. The pressure tank had fallen over against the pump. Used that receiver hitch crane to lift the tank and put new support under it. Not with the MF1450 though. Used it on the '06 Denali as I could pile some tools in the back and not walk back and forth to the shop. No pics. It looked like rain and I rushed through it.

Figured it was time to tinker with the JD110. Got a battery off a maintainer and hooked it up. The new solenoid fixed the no crank problem. Turned the switch and it cranked over. Stuck the spark tester on it and there was good spark. Sqirted some ether in the carb and it would try to run with the throttle open. Decided to try to cobble the plastic fuel tank into it and see if it will run on gas.
View attachment 70851 View attachment 70852

Adjusted the hi and idle mixture screws to the JD manual and started cranking. No start. Could smell gas. No leaking. Tried it again and remembered to open up the throttle. It fired and ran instantly! No smoke and very little carb adjustment needed. It's running in this pic but you can't tell.
View attachment 70853

I don't think it revs high enough at full throttle. Will have to take the carb off and move the governor link out to the furthest hole. I just put it where it was on the original carb. The seat is way too close but it's junk anyway. I put my butt in the seat, figured out the pedal lock knob and drove it out of the shop. All 3 forward gears and reverse work. No bad noises from the transaxle. The variable speed does not work. The lever just flops forward and back but nothing happens as far as changing speed goes. It is fairly slow even in 3rd gear so the variator must be stuck in a pretty slow position. I'm still not sure how to engage the mower deck so didn't try it yet.
View attachment 70854

I'm not going to go nuts spending money on this thing, but I better get some front tires coming at least, and get the little LT left front off of it.

Still need to make a decision on the fuel tank. I am thinking about cutting the original one open to clean on the baffled side and cut the baffle out and clean that side. If it cleans out ok, try flanging one half and soldering it back together. I know my welding skills couldn't put it back together leak free. I used to be good with solder when I was a kid, maybe it can be done by an old fart. It would only end up about an inch shorter than it was originally.

DAC
Sounds like the center of variator sheave is stuck. If you can find some graphite, especially powdered, I would dust it real good. Sometimes they loosen up enough to work. You need to check it out real good if it does loosen up, it shouldn't be so loose that you can tilt it, just enough to be able to slide.

Good going Doug I bet she purrs real well. Have you ever used Muratic Avid to solder.
No Jim, but cutting the tank isn't going to happen now. After I tried to clean it with vinegar I forgot to rinse it out. The rust is so bad in it now that it's not worth the effort. I found a one gallon tank on epay that will fit pretty good, I will just order that.

Sounds like the center of variator sheave is stuck. If you can find some graphite, especially powdered, I would dust it real good. Sometimes they loosen up enough to work. You need to check it out real good if it does loosen up, it shouldn't be so loose that you can tilt it, just enough to be able to slide.
That's what I was thinking too, Jake. Will graphite actually penetrate? I'll try to get some in there later.

Had a computer disaster last night so didn't get on. My external hard drive crashed. I'm pretty sure it got a virus. All my pictures of family old and new, tractors, vehicles, vacations and everything is or was on there. I have an appointment with a tech this afternoon to see if it can be salvaged.

I took the seat off the JD110 yesterday and got the slider working. I have no seats around here that will fit so will probably have to buy one of those too! The old seat pan has rust holes through it.

Not going to order anything until I find out how much this hard drive issue is going to cost.

I need to start selling some junk to support my habits---LOL!

DAC

No Jim, but cutting the tank isn't going to happen now. After I tried to clean it with vinegar I forgot to rinse it out. The rust is so bad in it now that it's not worth the effort. I found a one gallon tank on epay that will fit pretty good, I will just order that.

That's what I was thinking too, Jake. Will graphite actually penetrate? I'll try to get some in there later.

Had a computer disaster last night so didn't get on. My external hard drive crashed. I'm pretty sure it got a virus. All my pictures of family old and new, tractors, vehicles, vacations and everything is or was on there. I have an appointment with a tech this afternoon to see if it can be salvaged.

I took the seat off the JD110 yesterday and got the slider working. I have no seats around here that will fit so will probably have to buy one of those too! The old seat pan has rust holes through it.

Not going to order anything until I find out how much this hard drive issue is going to cost.

I need to start selling some junk to support my habits---LOL!

DAC
I use dry graphite on mine, the dealership I previously worked at sells it for coating seeds used in the air planters and air drills. I pour a little in the pulleys and drive the tractor, moving the variator to allow the graphite to work it's way in. You could try it that way if the pulley isn't locked fast. If not, you would need to remove the pulley, not a fast or easy job! Another suggestion I have is to loosen the belts and take them off the pulley. Then see if you can spin the middle sheave while holding the outer ones still. If it does spin, slowly work some graphite in. Graphite is recommended because it doesn't soak in the belts and affect them.

Last edited:
Worked for me. ;)
You probably had junk that had some value, Chris! Most the crap I have, I would have to pay someone to take it---LOL!

I use dry graphite on mine, the dealership I previously worked at sells it for coating seeds used in the air planters and air drills. I pour a little in the pulleys and drive the tractor, moving the variator to allow the graphite to work it's way in. You could try it that way if the pulley isn't locked fast. If not, you would need to remove the pulley, not a fast or easy job! Another suggestion I have is to loosen the belts and take them off the pulley. Then see if you can spin the middle sheave while holding the outer ones still. If it does spin, slowly work some graphite in. Graphite is recommended because it doesn't soak in the belt and affect them.
I've got a little bottle but can get more, Jake. The belts are probably on the end of their useful life too, but just as soon keep them around for now.

Spent most of the day working on getting that hard drive worked on. Got a guy to do it that was pretty confident he could save the data. The damage on the old drive is making it a slow process, but it is working. Going to be a couple hundred bucks including the price of the new hard drive he is loading it on. It's worth it to me. Lots of valuable pictures on that thing. Will be able to pick it up tomorrow.

All I did on the JD110 was weld a patch over the rust hole in the muffler and clamp it back on the tractor. It sounds very nice! Seems to be a good running engine. Better find the drain plug and put fresh oil in it!

The rusted out seat pan.
DSCN5484.JPG DSCN5485.JPG

The slider was in pretty good shape.
DSCN5486.JPG

Got the muffler installed and a seat scabbed on with one bolt. Will probably have to modify the seat mount for a new seat. Not going to spend hundreds of dollars for genuine JD stuff.
DSCN5491.JPG DSCN5492.JPG

DAC

Hmm, you got the deluxe seat set up, for the time. Between my uncles two 112's and his 140, plus my 110 and two 112's, only the 140 had the slider seat. There are cheaper seats then Deere sells that will match the mounting bolt pattern. TSC has them, can't remember if Runnings has them, been a few years since I was in one. HAPCO might have them too. HAPCO is a good site for older JD L+G stuff.

Hmm, you got the deluxe seat set up, for the time. Between my uncles two 112's and his 140, plus my 110 and two 112's, only the 140 had the slider seat. There are cheaper seats then Deere sells that will match the mounting bolt pattern. TSC has them, can't remember if Runnings has them, been a few years since I was in one. HAPCO might have them too. HAPCO is a good site for older JD L+G stuff.
The last couple of seats I bought were from Fleet Farm. Runnings didn't seem to have ones I liked. Forgot to check TSC. I think it needs to be kind of thin on the bottom. This seat is pretty thick on the bottom and I feel like the steering wheel is way too low. Will do some checking around, Jake!

DAC

Coming along Doug. Can’t remember if you said if the deck is good and maybe use able. If it is. It should cut nice. I know my JD 140 cuts nice. Just as good as my Case 224.

Noel
The deck looks ok, Noel. I posted pictures a couple weeks ago of the underside of the deck while I had it lifted with the crane on the 1450. I couldn't see any rust through. The spindles feel like they will spin but the belt is probably rusted to the pulleys. I can only rotate them a little bit. That will be the next thing, figure out how to drop the deck.

I took the carb off and repositioned the throttle linkage where it opens more. That's about all I got done this afternoon. Loree came home from the lake and has an issue with a leg. She had to go to an Urgent Care clinic and they put her on some antibiotics.

Got the new hard drive today too with all my old data on it. Thankful that it was in good enough shape for the tech to retrieve it! Didn't loose anything but some cash---LOL!

The clutch for the implement drive moves back and forth so hopefully it's OK. Does anyone know what was bolted into those holes on the bracket in the pic? I'm not seeing how to remove that belt either, but think that bracket might move out far enough after taking off a retaining clip.
DSCN5493.JPG

DAC

The deck looks ok, Noel. I posted pictures a couple weeks ago of the underside of the deck while I had it lifted with the crane on the 1450. I couldn't see any rust through. The spindles feel like they will spin but the belt is probably rusted to the pulleys. I can only rotate them a little bit. That will be the next thing, figure out how to drop the deck.

I took the carb off and repositioned the throttle linkage where it opens more. That's about all I got done this afternoon. Loree came home from the lake and has an issue with a leg. She had to go to an Urgent Care clinic and they put her on some antibiotics.

Got the new hard drive today too with all my old data on it. Thankful that it was in good enough shape for the tech to retrieve it! Didn't loose anything but some cash---LOL!

The clutch for the implement drive moves back and forth so hopefully it's OK. Does anyone know what was bolted into those holes on the bracket in the pic? I'm not seeing how to remove that belt either, but think that bracket might move out far enough after taking off a retaining clip.
View attachment 70896

DAC

Hopefully Loree get fixed up Doug. Nasty when away and something happens.

Great to get your stuff back off the hard drive.

Might be just a flat plate. ??? Just to keep the belt in place like a belt guide. Just a guess.

Noel

Back