And more junk.

Got nothing done on the JD110 today. Had some other chores to do today, shredding old pay stubs and other documents that need it until I broke the shredder---LOL. Brought it out to the shop and repaired best I could. Looks like there had been paperclips or something run through it.

OK it is an hour later from when I wrote the first paragraph above! A little after 5pm there was a loud crack of thunder and the internet went out.

About 2:30 pm, we got hit by a rough thunderstorm. 3 rumbled by earlier that had missed us by a few miles. Got some hail damage on the house. Mostly marble and ping pong ball size but some golf ball size mixed in.
IMG_0957.jpg IMG_0958.jpg IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg IMG_0961.jpg

Took those pics through the little windows in the shop overhead door.
I found four holes in the siding, so I'm sure there is roof damage as well. Shop roof is leaking in a couple places.
DSCN5426.JPG DSCN5428.JPG

DSCN5430.JPG

It busted my HF solar light that shines on our American Flag at night!
DSCN5432.JPG DSCN5433.JPG

It is still raining too!

I did get to measure the gas tank in the Murray LT before the storms came in. It's even bigger than the one I was hoping would fit. Don, that tank is out of an old Craftsman LT that will be going to scrap someday, so I'm not out much if some heat gun work doesn't do the job.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas, guys! hopefully I will get to look at the flywheel issue tomorrow.

DAC

Wow Doug that’s some big hail balls. Did your vehicles have any damage. Roofs are pretty durable hopefully no damage up there. It’s weird how durable vinyl siding is but how fragile it can be too. Hope it clears up soon.
I don't know about Loree's Equinox, Jim, she is still at work and didn't answer a text yet. The '72 GMC got a little damage but it's an old rustbucket anyway. This got knocked out of the fender emblem. I do have new emblems for it but no sense putting them on.
DSCN5443.JPG DSCN5442.JPG

The '55 has been through worse hail and it doesn't show any damage any time---knock on wood! Couldn't see anything on the Denali and the Heep already had some hail damage.

I was real pleased with this vinyl siding. It's 17 years old and withstood many hail storms. Many other vinyl siding jobs around here looked much worse in previous storms. The roof is also 17 years old so I'm not confident it held well up either. It wasn't so much the size of hail this time but the duration at about a half hour. That's a long time for a hail storm.

Still having thunder and rain!

DAC

Holy cats Doug. That’s quite a storm. You would not wanna be outside in that.

You might want to take the flywheel off and do what ever to fix it. Why I say that is the jarring and vibration may loosen the magnets inside. That would not be good.
Still thinking of a fix yet for the broken off piece.

Jumpins missed all this from June 20 or so.

Noel

Put a hole in the vinyl siding on my pump house with a weed eater. Had left over pieces from original instillation so I just cut an appropriate size patch and stuck it on with silicone. Looks good from a distance and not bad up close.
Don

Another option would be to drill a row of small holes across the fin where you want it to break off. I don’t know if you can get at that part of the fin though.
The story is below of how it went, Chris.
Holy cats Doug. That’s quite a storm. You would not wanna be outside in that.

You might want to take the flywheel off and do what ever to fix it. Why I say that is the jarring and vibration may loosen the magnets inside. That would not be good.
Still thinking of a fix yet for the broken off piece.

Jumpins missed all this from June 20 or so.

Noel
Yeah it was an ugly storm Noel, still been rainy today but no more hail at least! It was too late to take the flywheel off. I don't think what I did was any harder on it than normal operation though.
Put a hole in the vinyl siding on my pump house with a weed eater. Had left over pieces from original instillation so I just cut an appropriate size patch and stuck it on with silicone. Looks good from a distance and not bad up close.
Don
I did find 2-4' pieces of left over siding from when the house was set up, Don. Weather was still too crappy to cut some pieces to patch the damaged areas.

I thought I had that flywheel thing figured out. I found an allen head 3/8" bolt and nylock weighed .9 oz. One tenth more than the broken off piece. I figured with the hole drilled in the flywheel that .1 oz heavier would be about right to make up for the hole.
DSCN5450.JPG

Got it marked out and center punched.
DSCN5452.JPG

It drilled out nicely working my way up to 3/8" in 3 steps.
DSCN5453.JPG

Put some Loctite on it and tightened it up. Overdid it and it broke again! I didn't consider the curve of the fin being a weak spot.
DSCN5454.JPG

Time to dig out the old Dremel with a cutoff wheel. The opposite fin is now going to die!
DSCN5455.JPG

Shaped it as close to the opposite side as I could. Just going to have to live with it now. Maybe someday I will run across a good flywheel if this thing runs.
DSCN5456.JPGDSCN5457.JPG

Then I went to fix a butcher job someone did on the starter hump on the blower housing. The starter hits the hump so now I see why it was bent out. It's got to be bent out quite a ways for the collar on the starter drive to clear it.
DSCN5458.JPG DSCN5459.JPG

DSCN5460.JPG

Going to put it back on that way and if it runs I'll pull it back off and trim it to fit that starter. I welded the broken off sreeen stud in place too. The old one was to badly damaged to use so I welded a 1/4" bolt in.

DAC

Sorry that you went through all the trouble Doug that I mentioned. I really feel bad and I’m sorry that I didn’t mention the curve in the fin. I felt like you were getting enough suggestions and one more of mine would be too much. I think you’ll be good now that you got them trimmed down evenly on opposite sides.

Sorry that you went through all the trouble Doug that I mentioned. I really feel bad and I’m sorry that I didn’t mention the curve in the fin. I felt like you were getting enough suggestions and one more of mine would be too much. I think you’ll be good now that you got them trimmed down evenly on opposite sides.
Not your fault, Jim! It was a good idea! I'm the dumass that thought it had to be gorilla tight!

No tractor work today. Did the patches on the hail damaged siding and mowed.

DAC

Got to do some tinkering on the JD110 this afternoon. Put the tins back on. A couple of the holes in the aluminum plate needed a 1/4"-20 tap ran through them then no more issues getting new bolts in.
DSCN5465.JPG DSCN5466.JPG

Then I decided to work on the cables. I had found a used cable long enough to build one of them, then I thought a piece of new cable I had would do the other. Nope, the new one was about 2" too short. To my surprise, hitting the throttle cable lever with a hammer moved it! Pulled both cable assemblies out of the tractor which is gonna suck putting them back in. Clamped the throttle cable in the vise and squirted penetrant in the lever end and started working it. Kept doing that for awhile until the juice came out the other end. Working smoothly now! No such luck with the choke cable. Spread the clamp and cut down that used cable to the right length. Just for the heck of it, before I bent the "Z's" in the ends, I checked to see if the old JD ferrule was a screw on one and it was! Didn't have to fight a compression one like Larry did!
DSCN5461.JPG DSCN5463.JPG

DSCN5467.JPG

Shoved the wire back through, bent the "Z's" and installed it back into the lever. Both are ready to wrestle back into the tractor somehow. I'm sure I will use some words that would get me banned off of here when I tackle that, maybe tomorrow. I can re-use the knob from the choke lever and I dug around and found an old chrome one that should work for the throttle. I'll mix up some JB Weld to stick them back on the levers.
DSCN5468.JPG DSCN5469.JPG

DAC

The air didn't get as "blue" as I expected putting those cables back in---LOL!

Got them routed and had to take a break for a couple hours. Our daughter came into town today and wanted to visit with her for awhile. Loree and Erin left to go to the lake and spend a few days at Loree's sister's cabin. Gonna be a mob there. I will drive down there a couple times this week, but not staying the night. Got doc appointments tomorrow and Wednesday.

They left about the time the race was finally able to get going and I worked on the JD110 some more.

Hooked the cables up but I didn't like the angle of the choke cable. I built an extension on the bracket to get the angle more vertical but still clear the air cleaner base. Had to drill that cable hole out to 3/32" also.
DSCN5470.JPG

Had to do a little more tweaking after that pic. Then the Chinese carb must have metric screw holes drilled into it as the original air cleaner base plate screws would not go in. I dug around in to junk and found 3, all different lengths that were the right thread. Was able to attach the base enough to make sure the cable mount cleared it.
DSCN5471.JPG

DSCN5476.JPG DSCN5475.JPG

I better pull one of those screws out and find 3 that match!

I had the correct air filter in stock. The Kohler 321 in the MF1450 uses the same one and I had bought 4 or 5 of them at that time.
DSCN5472.JPG DSCN5473.JPG

DSCN5474.JPG

The knobs got some JB Weld smeared into the holes and stuck on the levers. Called it a day to watch the rest of that race!

DAC

I have a couple old JD 110's. Both with TEC engines though, and one engine a rusty basket case as when I got it. Had a bad coil assembly, but other engine still has spark! Plus I have a NOS Solid State coil! The one without engine has the OE hydraulic pump deck lift I will likely sell, along with the NOS coil. They both bring high dollar! Maybe some day I'll get to them.

Your going to be wearing a JD hat pretty soon Doug. I would be hurting too if I had to come up with something metric especially three the same. Enjoying your progress.
LOL! I have 3 MF's that run, one JD that doesn't two if you want to count a JD160 LT in the back yard so I still lean more towards my MF's, Jim!
I have nearly worn out a JD colored hat though! I also have the red and silver version for MF colors, but that hat is kept clean for formal occasions---LOL!
DSCN5477.JPG

I have a couple old JD 110's. Both with TEC engines though, and one engine a rusty basket case as when I got it. Had a bad coil assembly, but other engine still has spark! Plus I have a NOS Solid State coil! The one without engine has the OE hydraulic pump deck lift I will likely sell, along with the NOS coil. They both bring high dollar! Maybe some day I'll get to them.
Those knobs are expensive at around $7 each! I save knobs off everything before tossing
It sounds like you have some potential dollars laying there with those JD110's you have Daniel! You wouldn't happen to have a tiller mule drive for one would you? Yeah I will rob everything I think is useful like knobs and pulleys when I start scrapping some LT's out back one of these days.

Didn't get a dang thing done in the shop today. I had to make two trips into town, and when I finally got that and a couple chores in the house done a storm built up that is reported to be dropping 2 inch hail. Moved the JD and tools back and brought our daughters car in the shop just in case. Raining pretty hard but no hail yet. Going to Hot Springs tomorrow to picnic at mother-in-laws house with a bunch of family from my wife's side. No work in the shop tomorrow either.

DAC

Back