And more junk.

I agree with Noel if you don’t have a rubber boot or cover the shift area water will find away in there. It’s coming along great Doug. Sometimes it’s a hard decision trying to decide wether or not to grease an area like your pins.

Water gets in around the gear shift lever I have found on my tractors.
Lookin good Doug.

Noel
I agree with Noel if you don’t have a rubber boot or cover the shift area water will find away in there. It’s coming along great Doug. Sometimes it’s a hard decision trying to decide wether or not to grease an area like your pins.
Now that you guys pointed that out, the shift lever housing is shaped like a funnel! Have to find some kind of boot to reduce the water intake!

Got the new fuel tank mounted and plumbed in. May not get much done tomorrow or Friday. I need to do some outside chores on the coolest day of the week, including a mow with the Craftsman GT5000. Friday we have a funeral to attend.
DSCN5572.JPG

DAC

I repaired all 4 and had to build one of the rubber pan mounts on the JD110 today. Went ahead and put the pan back on. The seals needed for the transaxle aren't here yet except for the brake shaft one. Putting them in will be a good winter project.
DSCN5573.JPG DSCN5574.JPG

The makeshift shifter boot boot is made from a tie rod seal and a rubber grommet that fits tight against the shaft. I couldn't find a real boot that had about a 2" base and a hole for about a 7/16" shaft yet. Will search more.

I sure like multi piece pans better!
DSCN5575.JPG

DAC

Gear shifter boot looks great Doug. Your moving along.

Noel
That boot will be temporary, hopefully, Noel so the tractor can go outside.

Nice job on the boot Doug and creative. A JD boot would probably set you back $45.
It kind of fits, but not as well as I would like. I never found one that said it specifically fits a JD110 or a Peerless 2300 transaxle.

Thanks for the comments, both of you!

I did order a boot today. Finally found one that had some measurements.

The shift lever diameter measures .490" and this says it fits half inch. Just hope a hose clamp on that lever end will seal it. @' at the base is just right.

Mounted a seat while watching the last half of the race today. Got mad at the end but that's another story---LOL!
DSCN5576.JPG

This seat came off of the old Murray LT I have sitting out back. That tractor will probably get scrapped even though the engine runs great. The steering is worn out as is just about everything on it. Wonder if that 12HP B/S could bolt into a Kawasaki 11HP footprint---LOL! JD160 has a Kaw in it that is missing pieces. Rest of it is pretty complete, minus a seat of course.

DAC

Now you know DH would not do anything wrong. He even said so in his post race interview. Chicken s$%t would not even go get the checkered flag. Not the first time he has run someone up against the wall. Chastain was his last victim. Getting a nice big target on his back.

Can’t wait for the story on that. !!!

Noel
Racing stuff pi$$ed me off, Noel, not tractor stuff---LOL!

Now you know DH would not do anything wrong. He even said so in his post race interview. Chicken s$%t would not even go get the checkered flag. Not the first time he has run someone up against the wall. Chastain was his last victim. Getting a nice big target on his back.
Yeah Roger, both of Hamlin's wins this year were won wrecking Larson! Looks to be the only way he can pass a better driver for the win!
Even Truex, Hamlin's teammate who had a good view of what happened said that it was a "dirty way" to get the win!

Many riders have multiple holes for mounting different makes of engines, so hopefully this will be your case.
Probably better pull the engines at some point just to see if there is a chance on repowering that JD160, Daniel! It is a solid, complete LT, but I don't want to put money into that Kaw engine. Figured on scrapping it at some point too, but maybe it can be put to work again!

The hood and grill are back on the JD110 now. Should be ok for it to sit outside some now.
DSCN5577.JPG

The seals aren't leaking right now, but that will probably start again after I drive it around a bit. The cardboard and kitty litter was a precautionary move.

DAC

The seals being internal of the axle tubes helps in that regard. The oil leaking past them will sit in the axle tubes, till you move the tractor. And speaking of axle tubes, make sure you check the axles real good where the seals ride. With the sludge you drained out of the trans you may find some pitting or rust

The seals being internal of the axle tubes helps in that regard. The oil leaking past them will sit in the axle tubes, till you move the tractor. And speaking of axle tubes, make sure you check the axles real good where the seals ride. With the sludge you drained out of the trans you may find some pitting or rust
Very possible those axle surfaces are bad, Jake. Never drained nothing but water from a transaxle before---LOL! There was some gear lube in there when I got the tractor last fall. Stains on the gravel prove it, but it all got displaced with water! Be a good winter project to drop the transaxle. Axle seals haven't gotten here yet.

Might drive it around the yard tomorrow, depending on the heat!

DAC

Heat? What heat? You got heat? Do you have humidity? Not very nice out here either. Don't blame you for not wanting to be out there in it.
Near 100 again today. Humidity is low most of the time at least, Chris. You probably have this heat with much higher humidity.

Since it was so hot I worked on a couple of things in the house first before heading to the shop.
Figured it was time to get the old window air conditioner out and set it up under the overhead door. Kind of late in the day so it didn't help the overall temp in the shop much but it was pleasant working right in front of it. In the shop office I just have a little tabletop swamp cooler that works good right around where I sit at the computer.
DSCN5579.JPG DSCN5580.JPG

Rubbed some Penetrol on the JD110 since it's still in the shop.
DSCN5581.JPG DSCN5582.JPG

DSCN5584.JPG

While rolling around in a chair around the tractor, I noticed the gas tank leaking at the seam. Drained the gas and contacted the seller.
The seller had sent one of those "apology in advance" emails to avoid negative feedback on Ebay so I'm pretty sure they will replace it. Don't think the mount straps split it as they aren't very tight at all. The tank can wiggle around a bit. Might use rubber or foam next time. We'll see how it goes.
DSCN5583.JPG

Pulled the A/C out and called it a day.
DSCN5585.JPG

DAC

Wife suggested putting in an air-conditioner in the shop where June Bug is. Told her I wasn't sure it would do much considering there isn't an ounce of insulation in there. If I run into a used 2 or 3 ton wall unit I might try it though. At least it would keep the humidity down.

Same here Chris Carol wants me to add AC in the shop but I need to insulate the walls first. That good friend of mine that’s a hoarder has two real nice hotel units but won’t let one go. Both of them have been sitting outside uncovered for two years now.

Wife suggested putting in an air-conditioner in the shop where June Bug is. Told her I wasn't sure it would do much considering there isn't an ounce of insulation in there. If I run into a used 2 or 3 ton wall unit I might try it though. At least it would keep the humidity down.
Same here Chris Carol wants me to add AC in the shop but I need to insulate the walls first. That good friend of mine that’s a hoarder has two real nice hotel units but won’t let one go. Both of them have been sitting outside uncovered for two years now.
I don't think it can hurt having some A/C well insulated or not. My shop isn't the greatest insulation wise. 3/4" Thermax is it. I did hang a 3" Thermax ceiling out in the main shop a few years ago but still never installed vents in the attic area. Long as you can kind of organize working near it it helps tremendously. Then you can use a household fan to push the cooled air towards you.

I used a old motel unit for quite a few years. It croaked last summer so this window unit got drug out of a shed. It had been sitting in there for just that reason! Don't know how long the new one will last though. Compressor is getting loud.
DSCN4441.JPG

Only worked in the office today. Putting together a computer slide show for a reunion next Sunday. It's for my Mom's hometown that doesn't exist anymore. Folks that lived there and relatives get together in Lead, SD every year to exchange memories and information about the little gold mining town that got swallowed up by a mine. It's unfortunate location, being right on top the motherlode, eventually lead to it's demise. The reunion is held where the old townsite is visible. I even lived there for 3 months in 1972 when we were homeless after a flood.

DAC

Last edited:
Took the new leaking gas tank out of the JD110 and stuffed the too big one back in. Forced it in there a little deeper and got the hood to close.
DSCN5588.JPG DSCN5589.JPG

Fired it up and drove it around in the yard for 20 minutes or more. That engine runs great and I like the "U springs" the seat mounts to. Nice smooth ride. Similar to the MF8E. Parked it outside for now. Checked for transaxle leaks a couple of hours later and none so far.
IMG_0993.jpg IMG_0994.jpg

Was going to go hook onto the front blade for it with the MF1450 crane but felt a vibration trying to back it out of the shop. Driveshaft isn't deep enough on the engine output shaft. The shaft is in bad shape but will try to spacer the coupling deeper into it. It was that bad when I got the tractor. Has a previous welding repair too. I had the machinist at work make a couple more spacers just in case. I've heard that the male spline these use is pretty hard to find but should check into it. Female sleeves are available so one would think the male shaft is out there too. It smoothed the splines out of the first half inch of the sleeve. The drive shaft was still spinning surprisingly. I will end for end it and spacer it to the end of the splines.
DSCN5592.JPG DSCN5593.JPG

DAC

Last edited:
Back