And more junk.

One of my first and best things I liked when I retired was waking up naturally every morning early. I would then look at the clock and roll over for another hour or so. Having breakfast and coffee on the porch as long as I want was my next best thing.

My worst alarm now is my little Lexie, she will sometimes start barking at an early hour and I just tell to "shut up go back to sleep" but I will check the time to see if I want to get up. The first Monday after labor day I start my Monday bowling season.

Gonna have to use an alarm Thursday. My cousin died yesterday and his sister will pick me up for the services since she drives right by our place. His interment is 60 miles from here in the Cemetery my Mom is in.

Just mowed today.

DAC

I did get a little time to weld the cracks and repair a deck wheel on the JD110 cutting deck. Put a bushing in the wheel so the washers weren't gouging into the plastic anymore. Squirted a little JD yellow on the deck repair to make my welds look a little better---LOL! This deck is ready to put back under the tractor to give it a try at mowing. Too hot today to open the overhead door.

DAC

DSCN5617.JPG DSCN5618.JPG

I did it again, Hauled home more junk! Having a trailer makes it too easy---LOL!

Some of you may remember winter of 2021-2022 I got a "Gardenway" hydro LT fixed up for a friend. It's one of those MTD made store tractors. Sam's Club sold this particular brand in the late 90's or early 2000's. Anyway, he called and said a few months ago he was given an almost new tractor to mow with, and I could have this one. I figured for free, the seat is worth hauling it home so Loree and I went and got it today. They said it will run fine if I have a battery, so I took one with. Well it didn't run. It would run a bit in low throttle position and that was it. My guess is that they left gas in the carb even though I installed a shutoff so they could run it out. I'm only going to get it running again and decide what to do with it later. It will get parked out back with the other LT's, and I will pull the seat off of it.

This is what it looked like when I took it to them in spring of 2022.
DSCN4359.JPG

It obviously has been sitting outside again even though I told them to clear a spot in the garage for it. They did say it was running and mowing well when it was parked.
DSCN5619.JPG

The gas tank is cracked and that may be my fault. I put a big hose clamp around it since I had no zip ties big enough, and didn't want to use a bunch of little ones. Those formed-for-tractor tanks are big money to replace too. Didn't think I had it too tight but it cracked.
DSCN5620.JPG DSCN4277.JPG

Got the battery I took and a dead battery they gave me charging overnight and I might clean the carb during the race tomorrow.

DAC

Last edited:
I did it again, Hauled home more junk! Having a trailer makes it too easy---LOL!

Some of you may remember winter of 2021-2022 I got a "Gardenway" hydro LT fixed up for a friend. It's one of those MTD made store tractors. Sam's Club sold this particular brand in the late 90's or early 2000's. Anyway, he called and said a few months ago he was given an almost new tractor to mow with, and I could have this one. I figured for free, the seat is worth hauling it home so Loree and I went and got it today. They said it will run fine if I have a battery, so I took one with. Well it didn't run. It would run a bit in low throttle position and that was it. My guess is that they left gas in the carb even though I installed a shutoff so they could run it out. I'm only going to get it running again and decide what to do with it later. It will get parked out back with the other LT's, and I will pull the seat off of it.

This is what it looked like when I took it to them in spring of 2022.
View attachment 72435

It obviously has been sitting outside again even though I told them to clear a spot in the garage for it. They did say it was running and mowing well when it was parked.
View attachment 72436

The gas tank is cracked and that may be my fault. I put a big hose clamp around it since I had no zip ties big enough, and didn't want to use a bunch of little ones. Those formed-for-tractor tanks are big money to replace too. Didn't think I had it too tight but it cracked.
View attachment 72446 View attachment 72437

Got the battery I took and a dead battery they gave me charging overnight and I might clean the carb during the race tomorrow.

DAC
Doug I'm looking at your trailer and kinda like the way it tilts. Was that a snowmobile type trailer originally ?
What the weight capacity ?

Remember that thread that was recently posted on welding plastic? Might be a good time to give it a try.

Doug I'm looking at your trailer and kinda like the way it tilts. Was that a snowmobile type trailer originally ?
What the weight capacity ?
Loree's uncle who I got the trailer from built it from a 1955 Gator boat trailer, Bill. He built that tilt mechanism using an old floor jack to raise it. I don't remember what he said weight capacity is. I've never hauled any more than 2 GT's on it.

Nice to get it back home I remember you having that. Those tilt trailers are nice. I had one on my 18’ boat I use to have and it came in handy.
Maybe someday I will get the little electric winch installed, Jim---LOL!

Remember that thread that was recently posted on welding plastic? Might be a good time to give it a try.
Yeah I do Chris. First I need to determine if this thing is work the effort.

That tractor is messing with me. I drained the foul smelling gas out of it and took off the carb to clean it. Looked like new inside. Blew out the ports, put it back on and dumped some fresh gas in. The dang thing fired up beautifully so I drove it around outside and even mowed an area. Worked great. Brought it back in the shop, shut it off and tried to start it again. Nope! Doing the same thing as it did before. I will make one more stab at starting it but then it might get hauled around back and get the seat removed if it doesn't cooperate.

Finished up the scanning I had to do for the Hall of Fame this evening too.

DAC

I'm going to pull the plug and see if that bad gas has fouled it, Jim. I think that is a shot in the dark. It will fire a bit with the throttle on low but won't run on it's own. Almost seems like not enough fuel.

DAC
Yeah that sounds like a fuel issue. I had to laugh when you said yesterday you were going to park it. I thought no he won’t his curiosity will kick in. Lol It does sounds promising Doug.

Yeah that sounds like a fuel issue. I had to laugh when you said yesterday you were going to park it. I thought no he won’t his curiosity will kick in. Lol It does sounds promising Doug.
Don't laugh yet, Jim! Just don't know if I will have patience or time for it---LOL! Has a nice seat on it that can go on something better though! We are leaving for Denver Friday morning so there's a bunch of things getting in the way of working on tractors. Got Doc appointments, (had) today, tomorrow and Wednesday! No didn't get to look at it today.

DAC

I got that Gardenway hydo LT running---I think---LOL! It was too hot to open the overhead door so just let it run a couple minutes at a time. It was a fuel problem but not a lack of gas. The float and the electric shutoff must have been holding open somehow. I took the air cleaner housing off and gas poured out. It's a vertical crank B/S I.C. 16.5 HP. Took the carb back off and removed the float bowl. Didn't see anything so put it back together. Non adjustable float setup. Opened the manual fuel shutoff and everything stayed dry. Tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. Pulled the plug and gas poured out of the cylinder too. Cranked the engine until no more sprayed out. It fired up like it should then. Shut it off and restarted it several times and it seemed ok. Will try it again tomorrow and if it starts ok, good! Will put the sheetmetal back on and either drive it outside or push it outside---LOL! I want to put the '55 and the MF1450 in the shop for the week we will be in Denver. I will put the JD110 in the shed.

DAC

I think the carb is fixed on that thing. The battery I put in it is weak, but will be good enough to get it outside. Gave it a boost and it fired right up. Hotter today so still didn't want to open the overhead door. By the time I got home from doc appointments and errands, it was 3 pm, so I didn't shove the A/C under the door either. Supposed to be cooler tomorrow but it's going out tomorrow anyway as we leave for Denver Friday morning.

DAC

The Gardenway fired up well, so it went out. Put it under the camper overhang with the GT5000. Brought the MF1450 in the shop and turned it sideways with a floor jack. It's over 8 feet long with the front weights and the crane on the 3 point. Yeah I could have easily pulled the crane off but then I would have had to find somewhere to put it. Brought the '55 GMC into the shop. The '72 GMC fired right up and I backed it in where the '55 was and put it close to the Gardenway and GT5000 to make it hard on thieves than might want them. The '72 had a low tire so that got aired up. Decided to start our son's '83 Chevy pickup and air up a tire that keeps going flat. It started nicely too. Neither truck had been started since last spring. Took an air tank out to the '83 and got enough in the flat to drive it up to the shop so the air hose can reach it. Just left it sitting in front of the overhead door to air that tire back up again when we ger home. Better pull it off the truck and find the leak. Going to use it for a dump runner as rent to the son for storing it here. Got a load of branches that need to go, and lots more to cut out of trees.

Then I had to boost the JD110 to fire it up but it started great. Very impressed with how smooth that K181 runs. Stuffed it in the shed that was the sandblasting booth last spring. Packed my suitcase this morning and got some misc. stuff rounded up to take to Denver. Loree had to work today so she is doing her packing now.

Will be back home on the 2nd or 3rd.

DAC

Finally did a little more work in the shop today. Didn't have to go into town for once! Ran the '55 outside, then turned the MF1450 to take it outside. It cranked over slow but fired up. Drove it outside to bring our son's '83 C-10 in the shop to do some work on it.
IMG_1028.jpg

That truck will be my dump hauler while it sits here. I think the apartments he lives in only allows one vehicle for a single tenant, so it stays here. He don't drive it anymore anyway. He does pay for the insurance and plates still so just as well use it for something. The apartment complex probably wouldn't like the leaks either---LOL!
IMG_1027.jpg

First the RF tire keeps going flat and it has been for a couple of years! Pulled it off and found a nail in it. Pulled the nail and plugged that hole. Aired it back up and the plug is holding but the bead on the outside of the rim has a couple of tiny seep leaks. Can't feel them but spaying soapy water on it allows the leaks to show up after a half hour or so. Pulled the core and spread the bead as much as I could and scraped debris and blew it out. For a little insurance I smeared some grease in the gap too. Can't use the tire machine at work anymore---LOL!

While the tire leaks were being found, I checked all the fluids, lights and just looked it over. 1/2 gallon of coolant and a quart of transmission fluid later, it was ready to run. One headlight is out but everything else is working. I do have a headlight bulb but no plans to drive it at night anyway. Put this years plates on it, printed a current insurance card then checked that tire again. Pressure stayed the same and no foam or bubbles. Put that back on and took it to a gas station a few miles towards town. There were cops all over the place! Must have seen 6 of them in the 3 miles one way I drove! Last Monday the gas prices were 40 cents cheaper than today! WTH! 87 regular 4 bucks a gallon again. I put non eth 87 in this truck at $4.35! The darn truck runs and drives great. Just the body is trashed. Hence it being a trash hauler!

Got home just as Loree got home. I was getting out of the truck and I told her about all the cops I saw. Goes to show how much news I watch anymore. Former President Trump had landed out at the airport and was having a rally at the civic center in Rapid. The state Governor Christy Noem was there too. That explains all the security on the only road to the airport!

I went to start the MF1450 to bring is back into the shop, and the battery wouldn't crank fast enough to fire the engine. Put the booster on it and it fired right away. I had been hoping that the amp gauge was bad but I'm afraid the stator might be bad. New rectifier and wiring, old gauge. I'll check charging volts soon as possible. The gauge has read charging a couple of times since I got this thing running, but more often than not it shows discharge. The engine must come out to put a new stator in it so this thing might just stay on a charger and maintainer more often---LOL!

DAC

Is the truck 6 cylinder or 8. Auto or manual.
Have you tested to AC bolts coming out of the stator Doug.

Noel
Thanks for commenting, Noel. That truck is a 250 straight 6 with a TH 350 automatic transmission. It was a county maintenance truck in it's early years.

I did check battery volts while idling and full throttle a year or so ago. Not great at 12-13 in both checks. Didn't get to check running volts today but I did a quick ohms test on the stator. Sounds like .1 to .2 ohms is correct and this measured .8 to .9 ohms.

Had some stuff to do in the house then came out to the shop, checked that stator and then a friend came over. He is the president of the "HOSERS" slot car club my brother in law and I started back in 2002. Got my work cut out for me. I have 36 1970 Chevelles to letter---LOL! HO Scale of course---LOL!
Good thing is I have 3 weeks to do them.
IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

Didn't actually work on them yet, but definitely thinking about how to approach. Some of you may remember that I have been doing these for a long time, but the Invitational race they are doing now has doubled in the amounts of entrants, with racers coming from California, Kansas, Nebraska and many from South Dakota east river.

Then I told Loree I would roll out a old 3 drawer dresser to fix up for her craft room. I'm going to just get it fixed up structurally and she will paint it. Pics later.

DAC

Back