And more junk.

Thanks for commenting, Noel. That truck is a 250 straight 6 with a TH 350 automatic transmission. It was a county maintenance truck in it's early years.

I did check battery volts while idling and full throttle a year or so ago. Not great at 12-13 in both checks. Didn't get to check running volts today but I did a quick ohms test on the stator. Sounds like .1 to .2 ohms is correct and this measured .8 to .9 ohms.

Had some stuff to do in the house then came out to the shop, checked that stator and then a friend came over. He is the president of the "HOSERS" slot car club my brother in law and I started back in 2002. Got my work cut out for me. I have 36 1970 Chevelles to letter---LOL! HO Scale of course---LOL!
Good thing is I have 3 weeks to do them.
View attachment 73213

View attachment 73214

Didn't actually work on them yet, but definitely thinking about how to approach. Some of you may remember that I have been doing these for a long time, but the Invitational race they are doing now has doubled in the amounts of entrants, with racers coming from California, Kansas, Nebraska and many from South Dakota east river.

Then I told Loree I would roll out a old 3 drawer dresser to fix up for her craft room. I'm going to just get it fixed up structurally and she will paint it. Pics later.

DAC

Busy busy Doug. Nice old truck.
I guess what I meant by the voltage is , the two wires that come from the stator. Put your meter on just those two leads. With nothing else hooked up. Full throttle, you should have 28 to 32 AC volts. The DC volts should be about 13 to 14. volts, depending if the battery is needing a charge or not.
Have a great Sunday Doug.

Busy busy Doug. Nice old truck.
I guess what I meant by the voltage is , the two wires that come from the stator. Put your meter on just those two leads. With nothing else hooked up. Full throttle, you should have 28 to 32 AC volts. The DC volts should be about 13 to 14. volts, depending if the battery is needing a charge or not.
Have a great Sunday Doug.
Thanks again, Noel. I should have explained better. I know what you mean but didn't want to open the overhead door to run an engine in the shop as it has been raining yesterday and today. I did what I could do quick without running the engine. The ohms test was the same as you and Daniel suggested with the engine off. Sounds like this rain may be moving out.

Our son's truck is a pile---LOL! That picture is the "good" side. There are giant rust holes all over the right side. It will be a good dump runner.

DAC

Why does it take devastating event to bring us together again? Just the way people are now days. I have said it before and will say it now; Need to reinstate the military draft. Every able-bodied person must serve a minimum of 2 years military service, regular or reserve. Drop out of school before graduating and you go into the military for 2 years. Period. Go AWOL and you end up in the brigg for a month or two. Teach some respect, responsibility, obedience among other things needed for a civil successful life. I know I will catch a bunch of flack for that statement but show me one post military successful person that regrets ever being in the military.

I understand what you’re saying Roger and I have the upmost respect and appreciation for our veterans. I don’t think todays military would change things, the way it’s ran is as corrupt as civilian life. You’re talking about taking a young man or woman and mold them, that young person is already corrupt at that age unlike it was in our day when a child was taught as a toddler at home and in school. You had that respectful foundation already instilled that could build that child’s life to something good. We don’t have that anymore.

It shouldn't take an event like 911 for the citizens of this country to pull together, Roger and your thinking is valid. Unfortunately the powers that be don't look at it that way.

Jim is right on too. All this really stems from the deterioration of the family unit. It seems families that raise respectful kids are getting fewer. It repeats generation after generation nowadays. If the folks are self serving and feel entitled with no respect for anyone, the next generation take it to a new level.

Got no clue how to fix things that are broken so badly.

Back to tractors! All I learned today is that the stuff I worked on is still broken too---LOL! Had to go do PT and was kind of sore from needles being stuck in my back and hip but headed to the shop anyway after lunch. The battery cables were corroded on the Craftsman GT5000 so had to clean them before it would start. It still wanted to run with the choke out aways, but got it in the shop. Took the battery cables off again and did a more thorough cleaning and sprayed them after tightening them back up with Permatex post protector. I had not tightened them well to begin with so I'm sure that helped in the fast corrosion.
DSCN5631.JPG DSCN5627.JPG
I don't have a battery with the proper post arrangement so that is why it is mounted that way.

Then The new fuel pump and fuel filter went on. I don't think these filters like being on the suction side of the fuel pump. They are probably better on a gravity system. There is deformation in the element inside the housing.
DSCN5630.JPG DSCN5628.JPG

I figured that problem is solved! Nope, still doing the same damm thing. Guess the carb will have to come off and cleaned. If you click on the picture you should be able to see little black pieces of debris in the filter too. Don't know where they might be coming from unless the fuel lines themselves are bad already. Was new stuff when I got this tractor running.

Didn't pull the carb off yet. While I had the overhead door open it was a good time to check the AC volts from the stator on the MF1450. I would say the darn thing is junk---LOL!
DSCN5632.JPG DSCN5633.JPG
It drops to zero at idle.

So much for accomplishing anything today---LOL!

DAC

If you bust that fuel filter open, I'll bet you'll find the end of paper opposite the end with metal cap that the paper isn't glued in at all and that dirt in fuel can slip right on through. I had several similar and I tossed them in the garbage where they belonged.

If you bust that fuel filter open, I'll bet you'll find the end of paper opposite the end with metal cap that the paper isn't glued in at all and that dirt in fuel can slip right on through. I had several similar and I tossed them in the garbage where they belonged.
I will do that Daniel! I suppose those chunks of crap have loaded up in the carb real good! Must be coming from the fuel line. Think I bought a bag of 10. Finding the source of that black crap will be most important now that you determined these filters don't filter!

Do you have a source for "good" filters?

DAC

Those looks much better than the ones I have, Daniel! Loree recently changed her amazon password so I better get it and order some! I need to order some Spectracide weed killer refills too. Can't find them anywhere locally. Amazon has a fair price on 4 gallons.

Thanks for that link!

DAC

I bought a bag of 12 like these on Amazon and have had no problems with them. It’s like a lot of these it’s a hit and miss unless you know someone that got some good ones. I did read these are for gravity flow only so I ordered some of the black and red pancake type filters for my mechanical fuel pumps and have had all kinds of problems with them.

I bought some of those little red pancake filters with the fine screen inside and so far no problems. I think they are the same thing Briggs & Stratton offers.
I use the white ones, even finer screen. If it’s the same thing as you mentioned Chris. I know that the paper filters don’t send enough fuel thru, if your useing a fuel pump.
On my Case 224, k321 kohler it would not run until I took the paper filter off and put one of the white pancake filters on. That was two years ago. And It works great the tractor. My wood spitting tractor.
Fuel pump could be weak too. So who knows. Just my experience.

Noel.

I cracked open that filter and as Daniel said, the paper is not adhered to the metal cap or the other end.
DSCN5636.JPG DSCN5637.JPG

Pulled the paper out and is seems decent quality, but obviously the manufacturer cut corners. Sure a lot of debris in there.
DSCN5638.JPG DSCN5639.JPG

I suppose this detail is kind of cool in this otherwise crappy filter. that black thing is a small magnet.
DSCN5640.JPG

I have the filters coming that Daniel and Jim are using along with some Continental braided fuel line.

I had the opposite happen with the K321 in the MF1450, Noel. The pump couldn't draw through the red pancake filters but one of these that we have determined are junk is still working on it. I'll change that out when they get here too. Maybe it held up due to being less horsepower and one cylinder, but it's probably sucking the gas right by the paper element. I feel better when I can see the element.

I'll pull the carb when the other stuff gets here.

Thanks for the comments!

DAC

I got a call from my cousins in Spearfish awhile back that they want me to come get their Dad's antique bottle collection. I have a collection that was my Mom's, their dad's sister. That means I will be hauling home more junk tomorrow. I don't think they have even been washed from when my Uncle found them back in the mid 1970's. Need to get there in the morning, load up and get home before the Bristol Night Race tomorrow night! The JD110 had to come out of the shed so I have somewhere to put them. Battery was down to 10 volts but if fired right up with a quick boost from the charger. I need to get a jump pack some day. I let it run full throttle for about 15 minutes then drove it around in the yard for nearly a half hour. Gave all the gears some exercise, even granny. There are no leaks from the transaxle right now! Bound to happen since it leaked so bad when it was full of water! Parked it under the overhang of the camper. It is running and driving so good, that I think the mowing deck needs to go back on and see if it will cut!

DAC

I got a call from my cousins in Spearfish awhile back that they want me to come get their Dad's antique bottle collection. I have a collection that was my Mom's, their dad's sister. That means I will be hauling home more junk tomorrow. I don't think they have even been washed from when my Uncle found them back in the mid 1970's. Need to get there in the morning, load up and get home before the Bristol Night Race tomorrow night! The JD110 had to come out of the shed so I have somewhere to put them. Battery was down to 10 volts but if fired right up with a quick boost from the charger. I need to get a jump pack some day. I let it run full throttle for about 15 minutes then drove it around in the yard for nearly a half hour. Gave all the gears some exercise, even granny. There are no leaks from the transaxle right now! Bound to happen since it leaked so bad when it was full of water! Parked it under the overhang of the camper. It is running and driving so good, that I think the mowing deck needs to go back on and see if it will cut!

DAC
Did you use the variator any Doug? It helps to keep them cleaned up and functioning.

Back