And more junk.

Then I fired up the JD110 sitting out in a shed. That K181 is a sweet running engine! Quiet and smooth. Drove it around in the yard for a bit and the transaxle now shifts very smooth. It seemed pretty stiff after washing the rust out with diesel filling with 80-90 and Lucas, after I drained nothing but water out of it. Still no seal leaks either. Will change the lube again one of these days.

Then I moved the racecar panels and put the table away. Ron will get them on Friday or Saturday. They are out of town right now. Backed the JD110 in the shop then the MF1450 to use the crane to lift the green one. Will put the mowing deck back under it and see if it will mow.
DSCN5715.JPG DSCN5716.JPG

The deck and mounting hardware.
DSCN5717.JPG DSCN5718.JPG

While I was getting a 4x4 to set the tiller on, this bag of wood chunks was in my way.
DSCN5714.JPG

Its supposed to be a bunch of pre-cut birdhouse pieces. Does anybody want them? Free! I will pay the shipping too! Don't know if all the pieces are there, as I have never tried to build one. I just as soon birds stay in the trees out by the road---LOL!

DAC

Last edited:
I seldom had much issue with the driver. Most of the time it was pit crew or driver's family that got involved.

That track I worked at was in the town where I lived, still there and operating. After I retired, bought this acerage and moved about 10 mile out of town. We watch all the cup races we can now and a lot of the Xfinity races.

Did you see where the cup cars are going to run at Iowa Speedway in 2024? Rusty Wallace designed and built the speedway, then in 2013 NASCAR bought the track. Regular for Xfinity and truck for several years. A big construction and paving company in Iowa, Manatt's got the contract to pave the track. Had to do it 3 times before Rusty approved it. Could not get it smooth enough for him. They were used to 70 mph interstate paving, not a high speed race track but they learned.

And to give you a heads up, if you plan on using that deck pretty regularly, keep a eye on the double stack drive pulley. Changing the bearings in that can be a pain, just did one today at work. The pulleys are pressed fitted onto a shaft that has the bearing(s) attached. The shaft is fastened to the deck by a roll pin in the bottom.

Last edited:
Here they are, Jake. I figured they are the tiller mount and lift. Looks like that smaller pin can be moved to two other positions? Or are you talking about that bolt on draw bar?
View attachment 74249 View attachment 74250

DAC
Ok, that is a adapter bracket, which means you have a 31 tiller, which was made for the round fender 110 and 112. Deere made that bracket so you could use the early tiller on the square fender tractors. They later came out with a 31A tiller, which was a direct hookup. The bolt on hitch plate is stock to the tractor.

Last edited:
I seldom had much issue with the driver. Most of the time it was pit crew or driver's family that got involved.

That track I worked at was in the town where I lived, still there and operating. After I retired, bought this acerage and moved about 10 mile out of town. We watch all the cup races we can now and a lot of the Xfinity races.

Did you see where the cup cars are going to run at Iowa Speedway in 2024? Rusty Wallace designed and built the speedway, then in 2013 NASCAR bought the track. Regular for Xfinity and truck for several years. A big construction and paving company in Iowa, Manatt's got the contract to pave the track. Had to do it 3 times before Rusty approved it. Could not get it smooth enough for him. They were used to 70 mph interstate paving, not a high speed race track but they learned.
That sounds right, Roger. I very seldom saw a driver throwing fits at officials. So that track was in Corning?

Yeah I saw last night after I signed off here that Iowa speedway got a Cup date for 2024! I think that would be the closest race to us if we were ever able to go to one again! Rusty was one of my favorites. We met him many years ago. I forget the details right off hand. This is our daughter with him. She is 32 now. She is getting one of my diecasts signed.
DSCN5722.JPG

DAC

Ok, that is a adapter bracket, which means you have a 31 tiller, which was made for the round fender 110 and 112. Deere made that bracket so you could use the early tiller on the square fender tractors. They later came out with a 31A tiller, which was a direct hookup. The bolt on hitch plate id stock to the tractor.
Good info, Jake! What year was transition to flat fenders? I think tractor data said this one is a 1968.

DAC

67 was the last year for the round fenders, 68 they went to the square fender. If TD is right, you have a early square fender. Which would explain the adapter bracket, I wonder if that tractor was purchased as a package deal from the dealer. Deck, blade and tiller, was a good chunk of money at the time.

67 was the last year for the round fenders, 68 they went to the square fender. If TD is right, you have a early square fender. Which would explain the adapter bracket, I wonder if that tractor was purchased as a package deal from the dealer. Deck, blade and tiller, was a good chunk of money at the time.
Could be why this tractor has the carry over tiller and adapter then, Jake. You are always a wealth of information on such things! Thank-you!

DAC

No problem Doug, being a JD junkie comes in handy sometimes. Being that tiller has the adapter, you'll have to watch getting belts for it, the 31A tiller mounts a little closer to the tractor, so there are a couple of different belt lengths.

No problem Doug, being a JD junkie comes in handy sometimes. Being that tiller has the adapter, you'll have to watch getting belts for it, the 31A tiller mounts a little closer to the tractor, so there are a couple of different belt lengths.
I don't think this tractor will do any tilling while I own it, no mule drive, Jake. Seems like a pretty rare item and I never found detailed enough drawings or dimensions to attempt building one. I just wanted to find out more about how it would work. I have thought about plowing snow with this tractor and hanging the tiller on the back for rear weight---LOL!

DAC

It's fun seeing you get so much use out of your crane. It looks like it's factory made. Nice the load is being applied to the drive wheels to help with traction.
Thanks, Chris! The only traction problem this tractor had was on the front wheels until I hung those barbell weights on the front. It steered nicely today even going up and over the banks of my old go-kart track in the back yard with a load on the boom. I do need to stabilize the load better so it can't swing around and damage the jack cylinder shaft. Today was the first time I hauled with the boom extended and jacked up so high.

DAC

30 and 31 Tractor-Mounted Tillers - PC953 0 Non Sectionalized Catalog
keyboard_arrow_left

INTERMEDIATE DRIVE (31 TILLER) (SERIAL NO. 100,001-111,298) [A20] - 19expand_more . 31 tiller mule drive JDParts site

Back