And more junk.

The Kobalt is 6 bucks more than the Bauer and says 1500 watts. I don't think that the wattage will make any difference for what I need. Still basically free for me with that gift card.

Yeah, Daniel, the newer fans are pretty quiet. The TV helps me and now, Loree has a cpap and a oxygen generator so that helps more. Even sitting here at the computer in my shop I have to have music or the tv on.

DAC

Doug, I took crawl the walls in quiet. I run a 50 year old Seats noise maker, plus a fan. These new fans don't make as much noise as I need, and to add they sure don't move much air like the OLD steel blades fans.
I put up two new ceiling fans last spring. Got them both from Menards. Went by their charts that match the fan to the room size. Our living room is 14 x24, put up a 3 blade, 3 speed remote. That thing on high will blow newspapers off the floor. Other one in the bedroom was cheaper and lot less pitch so not as much air movement on low but plenty on high. Both are super quiet.

I put one of those tower type Hepa filters in our room and that makes just enough sound on low to be soothing. Probably been in there a couple years now and we both like it. The other benefit is less pollen and we can't believe the dust it collects. Between the one in the living room and this one my wife has been able to cut way back on her dusting.

Carla has a fan beside her chair is a DeWalt cordless or can be used with a cord and it is quiet but the fan she has in her bedroom is noisy. I have to have quiet and darkness before I can sleep. Just got a new clock that projects the time on the ceiling and does it ever put out the light and I am having trouble sleeping.

I
Carla has a fan beside her chair is a DeWalt cordless or can be used with a cord and it is quiet but the fan she has in her bedroom is noisy. I have to have quiet and darkness before I can sleep. Just got a new clock that projects the time on the ceiling and does it ever put out the light and I am having trouble sleeping.
I am the same way, want it dark and quiet. I would put a cap over that clock. Caroly will be sitting under the living room fan in shorts bare footed with the fan on. Bedtime, and she puts on socks and covers up with sheet and comforter. Go figure.

I'm glad some of you guys know what silence sounds like! My ears started ringing, crackling and buzzing when I was a kid.

Started on another 3 point attachment for the MF1450 during the race today. Went in the house and watched the last segment with my wife and came back out and worked on it some more.

Trying to make a leaf rake. This one will be 44" wide. Got a couple of cheap steel rakes from Menards, made in Vietnam it says on them. Probably won't hold up long but maybe it will give me the idea if this would be worth buying better rakes.

Used 1-1/4" EMT for the tubing.
DSCN5737.JPG

One of those 10 dollar HF male receivers will get turned sideways and drilled with a new pin hole. Then that 1/4" plate will get welded in the tabs.
DSCN5735.JPG

Will build a couple of u-bolts to attach it to the plate. Then the u-bolts can be loosened, and rake angle changed. May not work but not out much cash if not.

DAC

Last edited:
The car looks good, I was going to ask the other day what was the little white object on the back of the bull that I circled.View attachment 74376

Hi Jim, thanks! That is the brand for the Starkey's small cattle ranch. They run about 30 head. I should explain the significance of that bull graphic too. Starting in 1991 a local Mexican restaurant began a long sponsorship deal with Ron. That bull graphic was part of the logo of that restaurant. The partnership existed until the owners retired and closed the business somewhere around 2005. They wanted that graphic on the car for a "throwback" to Ron's younger days!

This is the 1991 car.
1991001.jpg

This was the car from 2004. The #0 car is Tim Starkey, Ron's son.
2004001.jpg

Good looking modified. Haven't heard how the races went down here Sat. night. Bet it was cold in the open stands.
Thanks Roger! That may have been about the last race of the season?

Got more to report so will do another post!

DAC

Had a doc appt then had to go to a pharmacy this morning, so while in town I went up to Lowe's and got that heat gun.
DSCN5738.JPG

Seems to operate just like the old Makita! I do like being able to stand it up like that to use or let it cool off. Don't know how many times I got a burn or burnt something where I would lay the old one down. Cost me 3 bucks with that Blue Cross gift card!

Got out to the shop after lunch and decided the tiller and push blade for the JD110 will be projects for later. The tiller at least was able to determine that it may be a useable attachment as well as the blade. I bolted the side covers on the tiller and the MF1450 hauled them around behind the shop and set them on a pallet instead of laying in the grass this time.
DSCN5739.JPG DSCN5740.JPG

DSCN5741.JPG

It was a beautiful day so it was time to fire up the JD110 and make it earn it's keep a bit! Went to fire it up and nope! Just cranked until I killed the battery. Put the booster on it and still no fire. Like a dummy I assumed it still; had gas in it, and it was empty---LOL! It must have ran out right when I backed it in the last time!

It fired right up after gassing it up! It was do or die, drove it out in the grass and engaged the deck! It was a bit stiff and noisy but loosened up quickly. Had to lower the deck wheels after a pass, then went at it for about 45 minutes. Only parts of the yard needed a trim so got that done. The throttle lever pivot needs tightened up. The engine would lose RPM's now and then. The variable speed is a bit slow getting up to speed but all the belts on this thing are still the ones that were on it when I bought it for 100 bucks. The MF12G still does a superior job mowing but this tractor does the second best of the mowing tractors around here.
mowed 10-9-23.jpg

DSCN5742.JPG

Going to take the crane off of the MF1450 to finish the rake but didn't work on it today. Hopefully tomorrow.

DAC

Had a doc appt then had to go to a pharmacy this morning, so while in town I went up to Lowe's and got that heat gun.
View attachment 74389

Seems to operate just like the old Makita! I do like being able to stand it up like that to use or let it cool off. Don't know how many times I got a burn or burnt something where I would lay the old one down. Cost me 3 bucks with that Blue Cross gift card!

Got out to the shop after lunch and decided the tiller and push blade for the JD110 will be projects for later. The tiller at least was able to determine that it may be a useable attachment as well as the blade. I bolted the side covers on the tiller and the MF1450 hauled them around behind the shop and set them on a pallet instead of laying in the grass this time.
View attachment 74390 View attachment 74391

View attachment 74392

It was a beautiful day so it was time to fire up the JD110 and make it earn it's keep a bit! Went to fire it up and nope! Just cranked until I killed the battery. Put the booster on it and still no fire. Like a dummy I assumed it still; had gas in it, and it was empty---LOL! It must have ran out right when I backed it in the last time!

It fired right up after gassing it up! It was do or die, drove it out in the grass and engaged the deck! It was a bit stiff and noisy but loosened up quickly. Had to lower the deck wheels after a pass, then went at it for about 45 minutes. Only parts of the yard needed a trim so got that done. The throttle lever pivot needs tightened up. The engine would lose RPM's now and then. The variable speed is a bit slow getting up to speed but all the belts on this thing are still the ones that were on it when I bought it for 100 bucks. The MF12G still does a superior job mowing but this tractor does the second best of the mowing tractors around here.
View attachment 74395

View attachment 74393

Going to take the crane off of the MF1450 to finish the rake but didn't work on it today. Hopefully tomorrow.

DAC
Good to see you putting it to work.
What size deck on the 110?

Thanks! There are no identifying numbers on the deck but the width of the cut is about 40", Rick.

DAC
38" inch deck, and JD recommends letting the deck hang from the tractor, not riding on the deck wheels. The knob by your left leg under the seat sets the deck height, the deck wheels are there for anti-scalping, they should be about a finger width above a level surface. Under the the variable speed lever you'll see a round plug, behind that plug is a 3/4" bolt. Take the variator lever and put it about five clicks forward, you should see two detents left in front of it. Start the tractor and loosen that 3/4 bolt and watch the clutch/brake pedal, it will either stay vertical or raise back to vertical (I usually grab mine and hold it vertical). Tighten the 3/4 bolt, your variator is now adjusted! The belt take up speed can be adjusted with one of the two springs under the tractor

The older cub I had before the one Caroly use now hangs off the tractor. Slam banging all the time got very irritating. The 1862 with the 60" deck carries on the deck wheels and float over the ground nice and quiet like. Older Cubs with hydraulic lift never did lift very high to my estimation.

Doug I figured there was a good story behind the bull. I enjoyed that, I miss the old days at the tracks with all the locals and small town sponsors. Doug I think that JD is going to be a nice little tractor for you.

It’s interesting how some tractor decks are designed to float vs riding on the wheels. My yard looks like 3-4 people sowed grass with different kinds of seed and has a lot of low areas. I could go either way on what type of deck I like as long as it cuts good.

That boom lift has been very handy Doug. The times I used my Simplicity 7117H with the boom pole was nice.

38" inch deck, and JD recommends letting the deck hang from the tractor, not riding on the deck wheels. The knob by your left leg under the seat sets the deck height, the deck wheels are there for anti-scalping, they should be about a finger width above a level surface. Under the the variable speed lever you'll see a round plug, behind that plug is a 3/4" bolt. Take the variator lever and put it about five clicks forward, you should see two detents left in front of it. Start the tractor and loosen that 3/4 bolt and watch the clutch/brake pedal, it will either stay vertical or raise back to vertical (I usually grab mine and hold it vertical). Tighten the 3/4 bolt, your variator is now adjusted! The belt take up speed can be adjusted with one of the two springs under the tractor
Thanks again for your expertise on these, Jake! That would make the deck float like the MF12G then. Problem is that knob seems to be turned clockwise as far as it will go. Unless counter clockwise raises it? I pulled the deck wheels and the deck drops clear to the floor. The lever will lock into a position about half way. Never found an operators manual. I think Kenny posted a service manual that I better go back and read more thoroughly. Will have to look at those linkages when the deck comes back off. Will probably have to pull the deck to put it in the shed for the winter. I already did that variator adjustment and got the pedal vertical, but maybe there is a spring adjustment on the variator mechanism?

The older cub I had before the one Caroly use now hangs off the tractor. Slam banging all the time got very irritating. The 1862 with the 60" deck carries on the deck wheels and float over the ground nice and quiet like. Older Cubs with hydraulic lift never did lift very high to my estimation.
Don't know a thing about Cubs, Roger, never had one, I like the decks hanging from the tractor as long as they float with ground contours. The MF12G and this JD110 have anti scalp rollers that touch the ground when needed. Can bump the deck into things and have lateral movement that keeps the deck from damage if I hit a tree or something. Never noticed any slam banging unless it was my doing. I have a couple of tractors with rigid decks hanging from the tractor and they don't really work well in my rough yard. If I rub the deck into a tree the tractor gets stuck and won't move. A wheel will spin like it got jacked up. They seem like they would be ok in a big flat yard with no obstacles to mow around.

Doug I figured there was a good story behind the bull. I enjoyed that, I miss the old days at the tracks with all the locals and small town sponsors. Doug I think that JD is going to be a nice little tractor for you.

It’s interesting how some tractor decks are designed to float vs riding on the wheels. My yard looks like 3-4 people sowed grass with different kinds of seed and has a lot of low areas. I could go either way on what type of deck I like as long as it cuts good.

That boom lift has been very handy Doug. The times I used my Simplicity 7117H with the boom pole was nice.
The main thing that impresses me with the JD110, Jim is that K181 engine! So quiet and smooth! Very sharp contrast to the K321 in the MF1450! That engine runs great but vibrates and shakes. The new muffler i adapted to it don't seem to muffle very well either.

My yard really isn't much grass. It's prairie weeds, clover and hay. Catcus will come up in dry years. Looks green from a distance when we get rain so that's the good part---LOL!

I imagine the boom pole will do what I do with this little crane, Jim. Does it mount to the front blade?

Got the rake done today but it will probably require some re-thinking. The EMT tubing I think will be too light. Need to round up 3 or 4 feet of 1-1/4" steel tubing or even black pipe that would be about 1-1/4" OD. The u-bolts will squish the EMT.
DSCN5743.JPG

DSCN5744.JPG

DSCN5745.JPG

Hard to tell but the first two pics the rake is 6-8 inches off the floor, last pic is touching the concrete.

The main reason I want this is not really to rake the yard. The small branches twigs and leaves in the gravel driveway are hard to clean up and this might help with that.

Didn't get to test it out this afternoon and probably won't until next week. Got a bunch of stuff to do tomorrow and Thursday morning we are leaving for Aberdeen, SD to spend a couple of days with our daughter. Will be leaving just in time to miss the first s-word of the season---LOL!

DAC

Sounds like the the strap that the knob is suppose to raise and lower is either missing or not hooked up right. It has a hole in it that fits around a projection on the rockshaft. There are two springs in the transmission belt system, one is on the large idler pulley at the rear, the other is attached to the variator. The variator one should have a eyebolt at one end, adjusting the length of the eyebolt adjusts the spring tension, affecting the sensitivity of the variator.

Back