And more junk.

Sounds like the the strap that the knob is suppose to raise and lower is either missing or not hooked up right. It has a hole in it that fits around a projection on the rockshaft. There are two springs in the transmission belt system, one is on the large idler pulley at the rear, the other is attached to the variator. The variator one should have a eyebolt at one end, adjusting the length of the eyebolt adjusts the spring tension, affecting the sensitivity of the variator.
Thanks again, Jake! Will check it out when the deck comes off!

DAC

Tried out the rake this afternoon. The wasps were so darn bad while the sun was shining on the south side of the shop, I waited until the sun was going down. I must swat 10-15 of them in the shop every day, and even saw one crawling into one of my gloves just in time to smash it! They would have swarmed in with the overhead door open during the warmth of the sun shining on the shop.

Ok back to the rake. It worked well, but not as good as I hoped. It is moving the sticks and twigs well, but leaves are a little more stubborn. Main thing I wanted was the sticks and twigs drug into the grass where I can chop them up with one of the mowing tractors so it's still doing what I hoped for. The best thing is that very little gravel was drug off into the grass. First 2 pics are before and after.
IMG_1059.jpg IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg IMG_1067.jpg

DAC

We get a lot of8-12" cotton wood stems on the drive and lawn around the tree. Mower takes care of the ones on the grass and vehicle wheels take care of the ones on the drive. Our problem ones come from the Hybrid Willow trees and are around 2 foot long. I use the landscape or rock rake on them/ Any it don't get the mower does as they are real brittle and grind up into small pieces really easy.

We get a lot of8-12" cotton wood stems on the drive and lawn around the tree. Mower takes care of the ones on the grass and vehicle wheels take care of the ones on the drive. Our problem ones come from the Hybrid Willow trees and are around 2 foot long. I use the landscape or rock rake on them/ Any it don't get the mower does as they are real brittle and grind up into small pieces really easy.
That's how I have always done it Roger, but some of those sticks have been laying in the driveway so long that I should have given them names---LOL! A lot of them lay where the tires never run them over. I have no problem hitting them with a mower after they are in the grass though.

Too windy to do anything outside today. Still killed a dozen or more wasps in the shop today.

DAC

Are you one of those guys that has ruts so deep in his driveway that you can let go of the steering wheel and still park in the garage without hitting anything?
Sounds like a good theory, Chris---LOL! Getting too old to be precise any more! Just let the driveway do the aiming---LOL!

The MF1450 was kind of hard to steer with the front weights on it so I figured out how to remove the whole weight rack at once instead of having to pull the shaft and drop one weight at a time.

Jacked the front of the tractor up and rolled an old welder cart under the weights.
DSCN5767.JPG

DSCN5768.JPG

Lowered the tractor until the weight assembly was sitting on the cart. Then just used the cordless impact to pull the mounting bolts. Was able to roll them away and lower the tractor. Took less than 5 minutes.
DSCN5769.JPG

The cart still fit under the welding table where it stays all the time.
DSCN5770.JPG

Then I decided to pull the fender pan off and adjust the brake. It has never worked and I think the reason is that there are no guts in the caliper! Kind of hard to get a decent picture.

DSCN5771.JPG

DSCN5772.JPG

DSCN5773.JPG

Need to find some parts again. Going to try to see if the transaxle dipstick tube I got from Daniel can be installed with minimal disassembly as I recently got a dipstick from Ted, Esbbent. The transaxle doesn't leak at all so it should still be filled to the correct level after the front seal got replaced.
DSCN5774.JPG

DAC

Last edited:
I will need some brake parts for the MF1450 so I sat the fender pan back on it to move it out and put it on the lift with the MF12G. Ted is looking to see what he may have. Doing a search, I found a post by Stew on GTT that had a link to a possible brake pad source, but I need to measure the size of the "puck", or the cavity it sits in. Now with the tractor on the lift I can lower it and work on it when I want instead of taking up floor space. It may not get any more work done around here before winter sets in but the brake needs to work. The MF12G mowing chores are done for the year. The JD110 did just barely fit in the shed with the mower deck on it. Still need to get the battery out of it. The Craftsman GT5000 or the Gardenway LT will get to mow leaves and twigs.

I wanted to check the timing and carb on the '72 GMC, so with the lift back up I stuck the nose of it in the shop to have it running. It had a pretty bad stumble off idle. I had put a new power valve and accelerator pump in the 600 Holley a few months back because of the same thing but after driving it awhile it started doing it again. Second pic is tools from the 1970's!
DSCN5775.JPG

DSCN5777.JPG

Timing was close but tweaked it a little, then took the air cleaner off to see the carb. Spotted the problem right away. The accelerator pump cam had popped off of the pump arm. Put that back into place drove it out to the airport and back, then through the neighborhood for some stop and go. Ran great! Raked a big pile of leaves and branches out of it into our son's '83 Chevy so the '72 can get some cleaning. The '83 is gonna be the dump runner. Brought the '72 into the shop for the night. Wasps seem to be dying off. Only killed a couple today. Now crickets and box elder bugs are all over the place.
DSCN5776.JPG

Ted had also sent me a axle nut and washer for the MF1450, but I didn't have a socket to install it. Been gone ever since I got that tractor a couple years ago but the hub never came off---LOL! Anyway a new tool report! Just went ahead and ordered a set of deep impact 1/2" drives and they got here today!
DSCN5778.JPG

DSCN5779.JPG

DSCN5780.JPG

DSCN5781.JPG

DSCN5782.JPG

I didn't have any of these sizes so it was about time I guess! Used to borrow bigger sockets from work but can't do that anymore---LOL!

DAC

Last edited:
I still got Mr Penske timing light. I bought it at Sears back in the 70’s.
I haven't used mine in years and now with the AMC engine in June Bug the timing light and dwell meter will be coming out of retirement.
I was telling my grandsons that this computer stuff on engines is way out of my league. Give me points and condensers and I'm a happy camper. These kids are motor heads and they had no idea what I was talking about. Man how times have changed.

These kids are motor heads and they had no idea what I was talking about. Man how times have changed.
I think the now generation is more of electronic heads and not a lot of mechanical minded. I came across an old GM distributor cap the other day with the little lift up window to adjust the points. I thought wow those were the good old days.

With asthma and copd I don't need to be burning leaves.

I think the now generation is more of electronic heads and not a lot of mechanical minded. I came across an old GM distributor cap the other day with the little lift up window to adjust the points. I thought wow those were the good old days.
Do you mean this type, Jim---LOL!
DSCN5786.JPG

DSCN5787.JPG

It's on an engine I have ready to put in another project someday. It doesn't have points behind the door though. It has a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion.

The '72 GMC got a HEI transplanted into it when that engine was new in 1986.
DSCN5783.JPG

DSCN5784.JPG

The truck has been much more kind to me than I have been to it in the 44 years we have owned it.
DSCN5788.JPG

Got it cleaned up and put outside. The spare tire keeps going flat and discovered a bad valve stem. I need to figure out breaking the bead enough to put a new one in. Can't use the tire machine at work anymore---LOL!

Will lower the lift and try to pull the caliper loose on the MF1450 tomorrow,

DAC

Back