And more junk.

So far it has treated me well. I can sandblast without running out of air.
  • 5 HP, 230V twin cylinder air compressor
  • 135 max. PSI with 60 gal. ASME tank
  • 14.1 CFM @ 90 PSI, 16.1 CFM @ 40 PSI
  • 100% continuous duty pump with cast iron construction
  • 230V single phase motor in the twin cylinder pro air compressor designed for heavy-duty applications
  • Extended design of the pro air compressor lasts over 8,000 hours
  • 1 year industrial grade warranty on complete machine
  • 2 year extended pump warranty with use of Ingersoll Rand's all season synthetic lubricant
  • Automatic start/stop pressure switch control and fully assembled and pre-wired delivery for easy operation
  • Easy to change filter and oil port and oil site gauge make maintenance of the single-stage air compressor simple
  • Manual thermal overload protection of the motor and a totally enclosed belt guard for safety

So far it has treated me well. I can sandblast without running out of air.
  • 5 HP, 230V twin cylinder air compressor
  • 135 max. PSI with 60 gal. ASME tank
  • 14.1 CFM @ 90 PSI, 16.1 CFM @ 40 PSI
  • 100% continuous duty pump with cast iron construction
  • 230V single phase motor in the twin cylinder pro air compressor designed for heavy-duty applications
  • Extended design of the pro air compressor lasts over 8,000 hours
  • 1 year industrial grade warranty on complete machine
  • 2 year extended pump warranty with use of Ingersoll Rand's all season synthetic lubricant
  • Automatic start/stop pressure switch control and fully assembled and pre-wired delivery for easy operation
  • Easy to change filter and oil port and oil site gauge make maintenance of the single-stage air compressor simple
  • Manual thermal overload protection of the motor and a totally enclosed belt guard for safety

You got considerably more volume with the IR than this CH says. 9.5 cfm@90. I was hoping it may have had the numbers similar to yours, but couldn't be real picky at the time.

Got the bench grinder/belt sander cabinet at home in a new location and the drill press moved tonight after work. May not get much done tomorrow. My wife will be at work for 14-1/2 hours, but I got instructions to get the Christmas Tree set up and the lights on it. She also orderd a Thanksgiving dinner for me and our son to eat. I will have to pick it up in town after I get off work, about 11am! At least we both get most of Good Friday off. I will still have to work until 10-11am depending on issues there.

DAC

EDIT---Dang, I did it again---LOL! Wrote a post and never hit the "post reply" button! This was actually last night!

Yeah I'm sure it is, Chris since 125 is the max pressure. It should serve my needs ok though.

Got the compressor sitting where it belongs. It's just hose hookups but maybe one of these days it will get hardlined.

DAC

DSCN4868.JPG

Another junk report. A co-worker gave me an interesting little gas engine. I never knew REO got into small engines.
DSCN4871.JPG DSCN4872.JPG

It is a model 552A, 1-1/2 HP engine from a "Royale" reel mower produced in 1949 and 1950. The co-worker had found a website with some info.
DSCN4870.JPG DSCN4873.JPG DSCN4874.JPGDSCN4875.JPG

It doesn't sound like they are extremely rare, but it is still a cool curiosity piece! Unfortunately, the fuel tank is beyond repair.
DSCN4876.JPG

I thought the "slant cylinder" design was interesting, making me think Honda may have barrowed that idea with its later small ohv engines!

Didn't find any pics of the reel mower yet, but the little rider behind the one in the foreground looks to be this engine.
dsc00426.jpg

There is a reverse gearbox on the cam output shaft, so the final drive is clockwise, but the engine runs counterclockwise. It looks to be a 1:1 ratio. Engine is free and feels like good compression. I need to build a rope and give it a pull and check for spark! Carb throttle and choke operate well. Looks like is probably has a "vane governor" I think it's called? A flapper that moves with the wind from the flywheel?

This thing may get cleaned up, made to run and possibly a cheap resto to finish it off. It appears gas tanks can be bought but spendy. I do have a nice small cylindrical gas tank that came from an old Clinton two stroke that I might try to use on it rather than spending a pile of money for just a toy!

More useless junk to play with!

DAC

Last edited:
Dad's first power mower was a Reo reel mower. The first engine I ever took apart was the engine off that mower.
View attachment 62585
That pic is pretty small, Chris, but I can tell the one in it has a different gas tank configuration than this one. Probably the same engine, otherwise. I love the artwork in the old advertisements like this, and the messages the designers would come up with along with the art! That is a great one! $125 bucks in 1949 was a pile of money!

Maybe a few of these pics will remind you of that engine teardown back when you were a young boy!

It was finally warm enough this afternoon that turning the heat up didn't make me worry about the bill! Had a bunch of errands to run this morning. I patched the floor on one of my sheds first. It gets dark so early now so started tinkering in the shop. Sun is down by about 4:15!

I took the idler part off of that REO engine so it would sit flat on the welding table, and then pulled the spark plug. Checked the oil, and there was some in it so I figured it would be ok to spin it over with a drill to see if there was any spark. Nope. Went ahead and tore into it a ways. I like that the inside of the blower housing was painted. I can try to mix some paint for the outside of the tins from that preserved color.

DSCN4879.JPGDSCN4880.JPG

I always dread flywheel removal. Seems like so many engines didn't have puller provisions, but this little engine does!

DSCN4884.JPG

It popped off easily! The innards were very clean except the coil. and inside of the flywheel. Looks like it melted badly!

DSCN4885.JPG DSCN4886.JPG

I didn't do any searching on a good coil yet. Pretty scary how much that might cost.

I didn't see this before, but the carb is a Carter model N. Don't think I could have taken a worse pic than that one---LOL! On a fuel related note, the gas tank from the Clinton is smaller but I don't think it would be a problem to cut that bracket off of the old tank modify it a bit to use the straps and use it. That tank looks bad on the outside, but it looks like brand new on the inside. I suppose the oil mix for the two-stroke Clinton may have preserved it.

DSCN4883.JPG DSCN4887.JPG

I doubt that I will be able to work on anything tomorrow and probably won't get on the site. Got some stuff to do with Loree and she finally has a day off!

Oh, I did check that motor from that air compressor today too. Kept forgetting to take it to work and let the electrician check it. Set it on top of a 4" ladder and took the wires out of my motor and put them back into the old motor. It did not run so the loose neutral wire wasn't the problem unless trying to run it that way killed the motor. The po said the motor ran but very slow. It didn't move for me at all.

DSCN4878.JPG

DAC

Sorry Doug but no memories. It was around 62 years ago that I tore that engine down.
I think they were a good solid engine as I don't remember Dad having any issues with it. My dream was to put it on a go-kart but there was no money for that. Hate to think of how much time I spent listening to it and dreaming about something to put it on.

Sorry Doug but no memories. It was around 62 years ago that I tore that engine down.
I think they were a good solid engine as I don't remember Dad having any issues with it. My dream was to put it on a go-kart but there was no money for that. Hate to think of how much time I spent listening to it and dreaming about something to put it on.
Sounds like your dream of having something to put that engine on is a fond memory to me, Chris! I know the feeling of no money to buy some motorized toy! In the mid 60's my mom would take me to a weekly night auction house. Sometimes she would buy stuff, sometimes she would sell stuff. She got me two TORO push mowers to tear the engines down to learn what an engine was about. They were both free as no one bid on them. One had a hole in the block and pieces hanging out. I took them apart out in our yard and just learned a little bit about what small engine internals looked like. No, I didn't combine the two and make one runner, but it was still educational! I did build a crude plywood box on one of the bases to haul stuff around the yard. I would find chunks of plywood in the creek behind our house. Like I said in a post some time ago, I didn't get my first go-kart until I was an adult---LOL!

DAC

I did a little in the shop today. Had a couple doc appointments and had to pick up a few things at the store with Loree. I have an old bottle collection and several old Coca-Cola bottles dating back to about 1900. Some of you may remember that we bought a bunch of junk at an auction a while back. This Coke syup bottle was in the junk. i figures it was something to discard, but to get it moved today I cleaned it up. I got more curious as the top was metal. Then I noticed no bar codes. I guess just as it sits, it's probably 50 years old and it's still half full of Coke syrup---LOL!
One more Coke to add to the other Coke bottles, I guess!

DAC

DSCN4888.JPG DSCN4889.JPG DSCN4890.JPG

Haven't done much junk hauling or tractor work lately but I did get a different coil for that REO engine from a guy that has a website about them. It dimensionally is a bit too tall but I think that can be worked with. Cleaned up the mess the old coil made and swapped in the new one. I was able to secure it to the post well enough to put the flywheel back on and give it a test spin. There is some steady spark now, but I think that the timing needs some adjustment, and the points need to be checked for gap again now. Spark looks a bit weak. The guy I got the coil from sent me info on setting the timing so should have the info I need.

DAC

DSCN4946.JPGDSCN4947.JPG

Got a new tool today, getting prepared for spring. Got this 10" electric chain/pole saw from "Worx". I already have a string trimmer, leaf blower and small handheld vacuum cleaner from them. They all use the same battery.
DSCN4993.JPG DSCN4994.JPG

DSCN4995.JPG DSCN4996.JPG

I didn't put any bar oil in it yet but blipped the trigger and it takes right off with or without the pole attachment. Plan to do some tree pruning on what I can reach in the back of the pickup, but will still probably have to have a tree service come out some day.

Some of you may know that retirement is near. Since I still want to work on my tractors and trucks more than ever but can hardly get up off the shop floor any more, Loree and I have decided to get a 4 post lift for the shop! Got to see if the boss at work will let me have it shipped there where a forklift is available and then just set it on my trailer. I'm already thinking about how tractors can be rolled up on to it for underside work, but this project is a few weeks away still.

DAC

Got this 10" electric chain/pole saw from "Worx".
Pole saws are a good thing. I use it now instead of a chain saw as I can cut without bending over. Hope you like yours.
Loree and I have decided to get a 4 post lift for the shop!
I envy you having any type of lift. No room here. Your going to have to let us know how you like it.

Plant superintendent said it would be ok to have the lift shipped to work where we have forklifts. We will put it on my trailer and there will be no problem backing the trailer in the shop and lifting the heavy pieces with the overhead crane or even the cherry picker. Will probably be assembling it alone. The crane will be able to straddle the lift when I need it to once the lift is built, unless I have a vehicle up in the air. The shop ceiling is 13'-8" but that doesn't include when the overhead door is up. Will have to watch for that. Have a ceiling fan to watch for also. Should have gotten one years ago.

That pole saw is a little bit heavier than I had hoped but is still quite manageable. Will have to go get some more bar oil as my bottle from the gas saw is almost empty! Might be warm enough this weekend to give it a test run! I like the idea of not bending over on lower stuff! The looking up with my neck issues, not so much. Will get through it though!

Thank you for the comments, Chris and Roger!

DAC

Holy cats Doug. Congratulations. That’s just a great thing. Guess I can’t tease ya any more. Hehe.
You’ll enjoy that. And yes, a fella should of done it years ago.
Can’t wait for the install.

Noel
Thanks, Noel! It will be a while yet before the install. Have to get the trailer out of the back yard with a lot of s-word in it too! I took tomorrow off work for a meeting with Social Security. Yeah it's only about an hour but I took the whole day anyhow---LOL! I will contact that lift company tomorrow and see if they actually have them ready to ship or are waiting on shipments from China---LOL! Amazon has some listed too, but there may be supply problems anywhere. It may get ordered tomorrow if they are in stock.

DAC

Boy Doug I'll bet June Bug would look great up on that hoist! :thumbs:
I bet June Bug would too. Drive it to Rapid someday and we will give it a ride on the lift, Chris---LOL!

congrats on the lift!
Thanks, Aaron!

Got the order for the lift almost done, but waiting on a credit approval. A representative said the lift is in stock, and it would take around two weeks to get here. The trucking company will contact me to let me know when they will be in town to drop it off.

Couldn't contact the lift seller this morning as I had an appointment with SS, then had to take my 2022 W-2, W-4 whatever it is, can't remember sh!t anymore, and that was my business the last 19 years---LOL, to the SS office in town this afternoon. I get my first SS check Wednesday! Hopefully the lift will be ordered on Monday.

DAC

Back