Craftsman 917.273100 2000 Estate find

Guess I am going to learn a new skill, Braising.
Bought the kit, and extra sticks, gas, and flux, and threw in a HF angle grinder. Need to find some scrap tin to practice on. Supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow, 68* out side right now.
I have one of those torches. They go through a bunch of oxygen!

More to learn with and hoprfully fix some cracks. Didn't break the bank, even with the extras. $139 for the torch and extras, $39 for the grinder and accessories. I am trying to locate some scrap tin of similar thickness to practice on.

First try... I melted some metal! Yaahoo. Had to find my braising glasses, didn't realize how bright this was. still seeing spots.
I need to make some cracks in this test piece for more practice.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 10
I think I need to move inside with this as the breeze makes it hard to light. I made 3 cuts, and here is the first repair. Also I think if I weld the underside first and leave it un-sanded then to the top I may be able to get a respectable finish. More concernd with strength than looks as most of the cracks are under the seat bracket. I also need to find a lighter shade of glasses, couldn't see squat out of the green ones. Trying the amber ones next.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 5
Need to take the battery out of the shop smoke detector, even with the doors open and a fan on it set's it off and is verrrrrry annoying. Curly got hit on the head with a bag of tools.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 9
Looks like you're on the way to being a brazier!! If you don't care about looks leave the bead as is, it'll make it stronger. That's one of the drawbacks to brass, it's more brittle than iron.
Mike

I found out this little torch will burn a hole through the tin, still practicing with the heat / O2 settings. I do plan on a reinforcing bracket where the seat bracket goes.

I went and got my clip on sun glasses and seems the best choice as I need corrective lens also. It seems I am getting the part too hot, this is thin metal, and burns through easily. I wonder if I switch from MAP gas to the blue bottle propane if I can control the heat better. I'll practice some more outside tomorrow.

I always found that if you would just to have a little extra "feather" in the flame, it won't burn through as fast.

Been watching a bunch of YT on brazing. Many reference aluminum, and the ones that show tin or steel work with 1/4. Still looking. This is close.
The kit came with different rods, I think I'll practice with one type and try and get some what proficient with it before I go on the seat pan. JB was my original thought.

Anyone thinking of getting one of these, here is my first attempt at brazing. Have to say the plus side it is easy and can be done inside with no sparks (I hate sparks). I am sure it mat do better on thicker metal. Need to find a thicker practice piece.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 4
Wonder if that would help with the metal warping at the edges. I'll be practicing more, still looking for a thicker metal 0.03 or 0.04 to practice on.

Back