Craftsman 917.273100 2000 Estate find

Removed the relay and bulbs, Washed in Dawn and water, and scrub brush. Hung out to dry. I will spray contact cleaner in the connectors when assembling. Getting ready to paint some parts once the table drys.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 9
Looks chilly next week, but was a very enjoyable weekend. Still have the doors open.

Attachments

• extended.jpg
    extended.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 5
Worked on trying to revive the headlight lens yesterday, L side came out ok, R side was a fail, I have added this to the next parts list.

Got up this morning feeling like the weather, sore throat, damp, and chilly. Not a pill or drop of “make me feel better” in the house, so off to Wal-Mart for some Advil, the innerweb says it’s the Best for Fever, Aches, and Sore Throat. While there I picked up a can of Forest green to see how well the color match might be.

Looks like Ill need to learn some body work skills before I paint this.

I have been looking at some welder reviews so to decide if I want to get one. “This old Tony” reviewed one for $60.00 that caught my interest. Not sure stick welding would work well on the thin tin cracks on the fender pan. I think TIG may be better, just no skills yet.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 3
Worked on trying to revive the headlight lens yesterday, L side came out ok, R side was a fail, I have added this to the next parts list.

Got up this morning feeling like the weather, sore throat, damp, and chilly. Not a pill or drop of “make me feel better” in the house, so off to Wal-Mart for some Advil, the innerweb says it’s the Best for Fever, Aches, and Sore Throat. While there I picked up a can of Forest green to see how well the color match might be.

Looks like Ill need to learn some body work skills before I paint this.

I have been looking at some welder reviews so to decide if I want to get one. “This old Tony” reviewed one for $60.00 that caught my interest. Not sure stick welding would work well on the thin tin cracks on the fender pan. I think TIG may be better, just no skills yet.

Mig welders are good for thin sheet metal. Gotta use the small wire though.

So something like this should work for me. 120 volt, and May be seldom used?

Flux 125 Welder

Blue Design Auto Darkening Welding Helmet

Compact, Quality, Inexpensive.

I've never touched a welder in my life, so I didn't want to pay $400-600 bucks on a higher end model so I opted for this HF 125 amp model. This thing is amazing! I built my first rat rod bike so far and I have plans for future projects with it. My only suggestion if someone wants to pick this up, they should get their $20.00 gasless wire and a welders helmet. Thanks harbor freight!

Very easy installation

I just put the welder together. Very easy installation. I also bought the welding cart at the same time. Do yourself a favor and buy the welding cart with the welder. The cart took me approximately 25 minutes to assemble. The cart seems very durable and priced great! The welder fits perfectly on the cart with much room to keep your cords and miscellaneous items organized. Thank Harbor Freight for providing two great products for great prices!

You will have to buy a bottle too! Just more expense up front! But the welds will be much better. Find some scrap parts to practice on. And do NOT try to weld a seam all at once. It will warp. Tack in several spots with gaps between. Then fill in the middle sparingly to keep metal flat. Will take some grinding to smooth.

Welder + Bottle + Angle grinder + helmet + Consumables ... vs Let the neighbor do it.
I know, I should, but I still have a ton of parts to order and Holidays right around the corner.
Might see about visiting some more estate sales, something may show up there.
Oh, and I was watching This old Tony on braising, that looks promising also.

If the neighbor can weld it, go for it! He knows what to do (hopefully). Learning to weld can be a whole process in itself.
Braising can also warp the metal!

Unless you know how to weld I would just get the neighbor to weld it up.

Brazing takes a lot of practice as well.

Those little hobbyist welders work great for a few beads at a time. Watch the duty cycle of the welder.

Also, I've found that running a "dual" shield setup works fantastic. We run Lincoln 71M .035 wire (which is a flux wire) with 75/25 gas at work. It can make the poorest welder look like he is a pro! I am a below average welder. We had a machine in the shop that has a conveyor chain across the bottom. The entire length of the car has a chain hold down that is 1/4x4x4 angle with a piece of flat bar angled across the top. I welded all that in probably 120' of bead by the time you weld top bottom sides ect. The other guy in the shop came in after I was done and said I didn't know you were that good of a welder. Beads looked flawless. I said no..it was just the wire setup. He tried it and said he'd never seen something weld so easy.

The dual shielding setup works great for old or dirty metal. Which is what we are going to mostly encounter. Not often do I get to build things out of nice shiny new beams!

I've watched enough welding videos to know I would probally get more use from a welder than something like this, but I think a metal lathe would be nice too. Something else to look out for used.

I've watched enough welding videos to know I would probally get more use from a welder than something like this, but I think a metal lathe would be nice too. Something else to look out for used.
One thing to consider with a lathe is that without tooling it is a boat anchor. that one appears to have a 3 jaw chuck and a two way tool post. next you need a four jaw and a quick change tool post, center rest, traveling center rest. You can also use a drill chuck for the tail stock. center drills are a must. Parting tool and holder. Micrometers, calipers, feeler cadge. dial indicator. Not trying to discourage you. Just letting you know they can become another addiction. And then you find you need a mill. Don

Back