Craftsman 917.273100 2000 Estate find

Gas and TIG welding you push the puddle, arc welding you drag the puddle, I remember that from my metal shop class in high school, from many, many moons ago!! Gas welding, acytlene 3-5 psi, cutting, 5-7.

Little kit I have doesn't have gauges. Need to try the different sticks that came with it. NS-3 and PC-3. I have been using the WB-5's for practice.

Need to take the battery out of the shop smoke detector, even with the doors open and a fan on it set's it off and is verrrrrry annoying. Curly got hit on the head with a bag of tools.
If it is setting off the smoke alarm you are breathing it. Not a good thing. Ventilation will save your life. Don

This was when I was set up directly under the smoke alarm. Tried outside and the wind kept blowing the torch out. Finally ended up just inside the shop with the doors opened, still a good breeze going but the torch stayed lit. Plenty of ventilation.

Brazing Pt.2

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 8
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 8
I hear there is a welder coming in the mail. I got this as a present yesterday. Don't even have the tree up yet. Not complaining.
I will need to clear out space on the bench for the Press, Drill press, grinder, and who knows what else.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 12
Brazing looks good ,Larry!! If you haven't already, lay some brass on the backside that wont need to be ground down to lend strength to it. After Christmas build a base with the new welder for the press to raise it to desired height and attach casters to it so it can be out of the way when not needed.
Mike

That was the back side Picture 7, Picture 8 is the top. Ran out of O2, and based on the amount of cracks, I'll probably need three or more bottles of O2. Heard a welder is on it's way, so I may try it in the top side (after some practice). Working on the dents in the other tin's, no welding is needed on these.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 8
If you keep buy those 02 bottles you will have a decent torch set up paid for and won't own it. I thought the same way you did but bought a full torch set at an auction for under $200, cart and all.

Yea, waiting on seeing what I get for a welder. I'll probably store or sell the braze set. It was a learning experience. Not in shorts yet this morning, but I am playing in water. Almost 60* outside at 9:00 so I am working on other tins. This piece was pretty banged up. Cleaning it up some and will try and smooth more of the dents out, then sand. If it gets close to 70* I'll go ahead and try and paint it to see how well the color matches.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 2
Well, stopping point for the day. Got most of the big dents out, and one big one on the hood. Sanding showed the low spots and I used a rubber hammer on those. Washed with simple green (got my sock wet). I don't think I like this shade of green (Hunter green) and will try and find a darker shade. Getting ready to watch the race.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 6
Can't leave it alone, plastic lens was cracked at the bottom, JB will work well here, and I switched to shorts 79* in the shop with the door open.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 10
Haven't seen any of my shorts in many moons and if they never show up it would be to soon. Same way for those slip slops, sandles, what ever you want to call them. Not my cup of teat by any means. I want some protection for my legs and feet.

Last edited:
Haven't seen any of my shorts in many moons and if they never show up it would be to soon. Same way for those slip slops, snadles, what ever you want to call them. Not my cup of teat by any means. I want some protection for my legs and feet.

My grandfather told me when I asked him 30 years ago why he doesnt wear shorts "only boys and women wear shorts and sandals"

I have only worn shorts when swimming and when on vacation to a warm place. I have never owned sandals. What he said always stuck with me...weird how that happens..

I guess they haven't lived in Texas :cool: I wear pants and shoes when needed. Painting, cleaning, and general shop lounging requires shorts in warm and especially HOT weather. Many Texans do the long sleeves and trousers but they are mainly ranchers.
And at 61 I still consider I am a Boy at heart.

G`night all. Full week of regular work next week. Engine parts are in transit so more Tractor work next weekend. PS. I may stay with the Hunter Green paint as it seems to be the most readily available.

This came in the mail today. I am sure I will upgrade the flux wire and helmet before I even plug this in. I might even open it up and check the internal wiring before plugging it in.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg