Craftsman 917.273100 2000 Estate find

Also Parts came in, 5 lug bolts to replace the standard bolts the PO used. Four front wheel bearings, (New press may be handy for these). This completes all the steering components. Oil and air filters, Will service and "try" and install the engine this weekend.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 6
This came in the mail today. I am sure I will upgrade the flux wire and helmet before I even plug this in. I might even open it up and check the internal wiring before plugging it in.
Go to and get the lincoln flux wire it the only wire I had good luck with.

Couldn't find Lincoln, but this has to be better than the stuff that came with it. Did some research on the helmets at HF and TS. The one at TS for $59 had better reviews. When I got there it was discounted to $39. Got some other goodies also.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 8
Couldn't find Lincoln, but this has to be better than the stuff that came with it. Did some research on the helmets at HF and TS. The one at TS for $59 had better reviews. When I got there it was discounted to $39. Got some other goodies also.
Hobart ain't bad just never go cheap with wire

Ben using the Hobart wire in my cheep Harbor freight 90 amp welder for years works as good as can be expected in a n AC wire feeder. Also been using the cheapest Harbor freight auto darkening hood for several years with no problem. My friends cheep hood didn't work for long at all but it had a rough life. I keep mine in the house for even temp and humidity, Don

Funny, the metal man was $10 cheaper at TS and had better reviews, abet it was marked down. Came with batteries and a extra front cover. Many adjustments. I was reading the instructions, wish they were in larger print. May have to scan them in and enlarge them.

Got run out of the kitchen, so I decided to put some new parts on. front wheel bushings came off with little struggle. I cleaned the old grease out, Installed one side and packed with new grease and installed the other side. There is no slop at all in the steering now. Installed the seat spring rubber covers. Cleaned up the old lug bolts and painted them and the new to match. Should look good against the white rims.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
Got the seat switch sorted out and started putting the electrical back in.

Nice job on those electrics, clean.

A tip I received from a marine mechanic a few years ago for a factory finish on the larger battery cables, including a perfect seal from corrosion have proven very valuable.

fusion terminal.png

fusion 2.png

They have the solder inside, after stripping approximately 1/2" of insulation off the wire, prepared with flux, hold the terminal upside down in vice, apply torch to terminal and when ready press wire in until the insulation is also inside and remove heat.

Viola! a perfect seal and factory finish, leaving none of the wire exposed.

Woa! had to back track to the electrical, didn't relize how far off track I got with the welding stuff. I found if you use the bolts right after the paint drys (30 Min or so) it will smooth out some when it hardens. Here are the mounted tires, and showing BOH's rim that was done around three or four years ago. Was going to work on the runner boards but the weather is getting wet. I may pull the shrouds on the engine and check for mouse nests instead.

Good tip with the "add solder first and melt"

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 7
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 6
Looking good! Glad you're posting, gives me something to read while I eat!

Love seeing progress. You make more progress than i do on my projects for sure! I have a half finished 110 from last year, and a couple others I haven't even started on. Bad thing is I have boxes of parts sitting there waiting to go on, but have zero drive to do them.

Love seeing progress. You make more progress than i do on my projects for sure! I have a half finished 110 from last year, and a couple others I haven't even started on. Bad thing is I have boxes of parts sitting there waiting to go on, but have zero drive to do them.
I have a hard time getting drive this time of year!

Progress is slow due to (1) Work, (2) Holidays and (3) Funds.

On the list...
1. Craftsman Pro. Still need more parts, Still waiting on the deck repair.
2. Need to learn MIG welding to repair the fender tins.
3. RED needs refreshed, I have the parts, not the time.
BOH will probably be used for mowing duties till I get the above completed.

Yes, it seems like the projects are taking longer, and getting backed up some. My Grandson (Now 13) asked if we could do a movie night and sleep in the shop. Been a while sense we dis this.

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 5
Back