Hill Top adventures

Nice they level the ground for you, but doesn't help the mud situation. I guess you say you've got smooth "goo" to walk in, at least initially!

Nice they level the ground for you, but doesn't help the mud situation. I guess you say you've got smooth "goo" to walk in, at least initially!
They try;) almost have to feel sorry for the guys. The rain we have been having has put them way behind and when 10 drying days are needed, they get 2. A good freeze will firm it up in 2 month. Til then wade through mud.

They try;) almost have to feel sorry for the guys. The rain we have been having has put them way behind and when 10 drying days are needed, they get 2. A good freeze will firm it up in 2 month. Til then wade through mud.
Yep. Then you just have to remember that clump of, now frozen, mud might trip you instead of squashing under your boot!! I still work outside all day, but primarily on grass now. Don't miss those years of mud tearing up my leg joints. (Paying for that dearly now)!!

Another uneventful day of framing. Other than everyone to the north sharing the cool which I am struggling to get used to. A week ago the 2 gallon water jug was about empty every day. The mud is slowly drying. And a nice cuppa coffee with supper tonight. JR is talking big about using a blower on a tractor this winter. So we went out and started tearing it apart. One moment I say I can make it run, the next I say what a pile of rust. Nature beat it up for a decade. I pulled it out of the woods this summer. JR is cleaning parts as I pull them off. The last 2 month I plastered it with penetrating fluids every time I got close to it.

Rusted bearings are no fun.:confused: I thought I had loose, but no go. Going to get a puller to try to get it off. And the parts breakdown shows 2 bearings to get off. Whodathunk.. .. Scary part is, I opened the manual to look at how an idler pulley is set up. I definitely need a cup of coffee now.

Good luck with the bearing removal. I need to get a better puller too. Heat works the quickest, but if you're like me, you probably don't have a torch. I've cut some off with my Dremel tool. Sometimes even that won't fit into tight spaces, but you can usually get some of it cut. Just the heat from cutting might loosen the bearing.

I know a torch would make quick work of it, but I don't have one. So I will try a puller and see what happens. One thing I figured to do is now that I have more exposure to shoot PB blaster in is to let it soak a week before trying again. It worked good on the first layer of parts coming off.

This year with a mix of wood is making fire tending a learning experience. Maple and cherry burn up a lot faster than locust. Last year I burned primarily locust and had trouble getting it hot enough. Now I find that I want that locust for overnight, so there is still fire there in the morning. It sure smells nicer with a good fire of cherry.

Its a dreary wet day today. Was dumping buckets early morning. JR was getting frustrated cause I said it was too muddy to try to haul wood. Last week he left a trail of mud on the road from the field.
Yesterday had a nice sunrise.
1026180717a.jpg
Kind of like being on top of a mountain and seeing the world wake up.

Thanks for sharing the sunrise photo. Always enjoy those. Can't see rises or sets from my house. Most of my sun viewing is going to and from work. Unfortunately the traffic is way too nutty to really enjoy the view.

JR was happy I got the bearing fixed on Gravely for the mower. One of those you gots to be kidding me moments. Had the replacement waiting to go on and I pulled the old one to find it was in good shape. It was the aluminum mount that was worn. Doctored it a bit so the mowing gets done today. Yesterday morning had a 10 second heart stopping moment. Traffic came to a sudden stop out on the highway and when I went to stop, the brake pedal went to the floor...... Another line said no more of this. The truck didn't get shorter and no new dents, but I don't need any thing like that again. Mechanic says he will take care of getting it to his shop next week.

This morning the north wind was blowing a chill straight from the north pole. 3 days ago short sleeves felt good. Our leaves started dropping this week so a good part of the afternoon was spent spreading them across the garden.1110181338.jpg
A fun afternoon with the boys. It was good to see them enjoy it.
The lad who built the house across the road got married today. So now I officially got a new neighbor. Kids seem so young tho.1103181823c.jpg

Got the chills last night on the way home from work. Til I got in the house, I couldn't stop shaking. Took all evening to get warm again. Then sweated all night and slept straight thru the alarm. Wife said it was like having a heater in bed, I was giving off that much heat. Haven't had a fever knock me down like that in a few years.
Now JR is all jacked up about moving snow and I am on the recliner not wanting to move. And nothing is ready to move snow with.

Realized how woefully unprepared for snow we were today. It was done snowing before I felt good enough to think about getting anything ready to start plowing. And from there it went down hill rapidly. Not a pleasant evening in the rain.

2 days later and still feeling the effects of the flu. After our disaster of snow removal, I got motivated to fix the snow plow. Which, course, was bent and broke much worse than I remembered. Blades designed to grade driveways do not plow snow nicely. And my snow plow is not built for grading a drive. A lightweight plow I adapted, definitely designed for a tractor considerably less in weight and traction. A lot of cutting and grinding to get it to a point of welding.

I took everything over to a farmer friend to weld. The A was made of 3/8 x 1 1/2" bar. It was cracked and twisting. I found some 3/4" round that got burned onto the outside and the inside at the point where the plow pivots. Also put stops on so when the plow is angled, the pin isn't the only thing holding. It seemed most of the stress was coming from the angled plowing. And that brings to mind how at the one neighbor where it is all angled plowing. JR plugged his blower with slush. While helping him, the Gravely shut off. No noise from the electric fuel pump. You gots to be kidding me, that sure didn't last long. And it's 32° and raining and the drive is only half done. A JR was done running his blower. So I took over and finished it. Then walk his blower home while he relaxed in the house. Then back over to the neighbor with the truck and a chain for the recovery. Drag it home and decided to flip the switch for the pump thinking it could be wiring. Guess what, it was working. Just no gas tho...... I thought JR filled it, He only emptied the can which was almost nothing. All that aggravation for nothing. Hoping I am better prepared next time.

Back