Hill Top adventures

My snow removal systems are me with an aluminum grain shovel and this. Seems there's no half way measures in life in the north, LOL.
Awesome blower! But that's what's needed up there! I can get by with the shovel most times down here!

Kind of happy I don't need a blower that big. Our 8" average storm would not near keep that going. But once the northwest wind blows, the drive fills up with a nice drift. Had an 8' pile at the end of the drive one year. Crazy winter.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Coldest morning yet this fall. Not much rain lately and it is drying out. The late soybeans are finally drying down. Saw several combines pushing late hours last night. And one shut down at daybreak as the dew started setting. But not the field next to me where my fire wood is.

The soybeans got harvested yesterday between my place and the pile of firewood. So this morning after a proper amount of coffee was drank, we started hauling. The frost was disappearing fast leaving a muddy mess. Then the rain early afternoon put an end to outdoor activities.
JR thinks we need a bigger heavier built cart for hauling wood. I think he is correct.
1124181309.jpg

A couple guys were saying 2" of rain for Saturday. Mud bog at work today. We tried to keep going through the rain today until everyone and everything was soaked. Lord, I would like to feel the sunshine again! Got home and I guess JR thought thanksgiving vacation from school also means vacation from tending a wood stove. House was cold and damp with no fire. Got it cooking now to dry out the coat and shoes for tomorrow.

Last week when the temps dropped down through the teens like a rock bottoming out at 12° Friday morning. My little wood stove wouldn't keep up and I didn't get coal yet to start the furnace yet. And a brainy idea crashed through frigid temperatures of my almost froze brain. Start a wood fire in the coal furnace. And surprisingly, it worked. Eats firewood like crazy, can fit about 3 times as much wood in compared to the stove, but throws a lot of heat. So now I will wait to get coal until it gets into the single digits. Should give a significant drop in heating costs this winter.

Last week when the temps dropped down through the teens like a rock bottoming out at 12° Friday morning. My little wood stove wouldn't keep up and I didn't get coal yet to start the furnace yet. And a brainy idea crashed through frigid temperatures of my almost froze brain. Start a wood fire in the coal furnace. And surprisingly, it worked. Eats firewood like crazy, can fit about 3 times as much wood in compared to the stove, but throws a lot of heat. So now I will wait to get coal until it gets into the single digits. Should give a significant drop in heating costs this winter.
As long as you have plenty of wood, that should work!

As long as you have plenty of wood, that should work!
Probably need more than I got as of now. JR was saying he would like for us to drop a whole tree for fire wood. No excitement in cutting a log on the ground compared to a 50' tree crashing down.

Right there at the freezing line this morning. Hoping it is a little froze in the bean field. It is so muddy we can't haul firewood without it being froze.

It wasn't froze, but JR got a few loads of firewood hauled. He wasn't cutting ruts, but the tractor got coated with mud that definitely smelled like a farm. I tried my hand at changing an alternator on a Saturn Vue. Shouldn't be hard. Right? The other year we were working out of state and the alternator quit on the crew truck. We swapped it at a parts store and were on the road 20 minutes later. Whoever designed this little puddle jumper obviously is not a mechanic. No room to work at all!!! Found an automotive forum that suggested taking a wheel off and going in through the wheel well. Not On this irritating miserable wretched chunk of steel. Back online again, I found another forum that said you gotta remove the engine mount and lift the engine. Huh?? You gots to be joking....... No joke, I lifted the engine to get the room it needed. A good 6 hours to get it done. And it started to rain to make things extra miserable as I did this outside. And when things were finally going back together, one very necessary metric bolt was missing and after all the local stores were closed. And to top it off, my back decided to flare up again leaving me barely able to walk. Wife said I aged a decade or so from morning till night. Finally, drinking a good cup of coffee and sitting on a heating pad trying to ease some pain.

With frost in the ground and a crisp breeze, it was a good time for JR to finish hauling firewood. Surprisingly tho, the field he was crossing was churning up mud. The bean stubble must have kept it from freezing. And with all the holiday family get togethers for the next umpteen weekends, I broke down and got the coal stove running on coal. Being away all day and then coming home to a freezing house is not fun. Probably will burn coal when we are away and shut it down during the week and use just wood then.
1208181159.jpg

Got a break from new construction this week with a remodeling project. This house had a finished out attic with super low ceilings. The doors were 5'-4" high and the owner is 6'-8". So we lifted the ceilings and got 3 bedroom 2 bath out of the attic.
1213181002.jpg

With frost in the ground and a crisp breeze, it was a good time for JR to finish hauling firewood. Surprisingly tho, the field he was crossing was churning up mud. The bean stubble must have kept it from freezing. And with all the holiday family get togethers for the next umpteen weekends, I broke down and got the coal stove running on coal. Being away all day and then coming home to a freezing house is not fun. Probably will burn coal when we are away and shut it down during the week and use just wood then.
View attachment 8762

That looks like quality seat time!!!

More rain equals more mud. Tired of working in a mud bog. Was hoping to cut more firewood, but it's that muddy now I will have to wait until it freezes again. Cold enough that we are burning quite a bit of wood but never more than 2" of frost in the ground.

Maybe, just maybe, today will be a day of tinkering. 60° already, so warm enough to work in an unheated shed and off work due to rain and the fact of being in a mud bog. It would be a good day to start putting together my S-16, a project that has been in the corner way too many years.

Back