Hill Top adventures

Some of our flooding Thursday morning. Chaos on the local roads when you shut down a 4 lane highway.
IMG_20210903_213109_240.jpg

My brother had estimated 7' of water in his one feild. Today he got there to check, not far off. It was all back up water, no current flowing thru to knock it down.
IMG_20210903_213026_312.jpg

And another project, fixing up an old corn shed. Getting all new siding and getting turned into a farm shop.
Out in the rolling hills.
20211124_105415.jpg
Side wall with a window the boss made.
20211124_134715.jpg
Gable end gets the big barn doors with strap hinges. And a small door in the loft. 20211124_134730.jpg

Progress picture of the shop. Still need to finish the battens once they get painted.
20211223_165212.jpg
Took Jr along last week and the farmer got him to dig rock out of his hay field. Jr thought the day went quick.
20211224_095234.jpg

Renovating a house which included demolishing about half of it to get back to the original roof lines. Filled a dumpster with room contents the last renter left behind. We packed that one so hard with a trackhoe the sides were bulged out. A shot of when we started.
20211208_095250.jpg

The easy way to remove walls. Just stick the forks through and lift. Then I smashed it flat in the dumpster.
20211209_153204.jpg

From the roof of the next door building when we were waiting for the next dumpster.
20211213_122350.jpg

And an Erector set we found in the attic. Some collectors agreed the box comes from 1938.

20211211_101028.jpg

That’s a nice find and in good shape. Did you get to keep it. I found some old embossed milk and medicine bottles on a job in the attic one time. My wife liked these since she has a nice collection of old bottles. Since I have been retired I really miss the excitement of demoing the older structures. You never know what is hidden or left behind. One if my biggest joys was not a find but a repurpose that made me a lot of money. I salvaged 72 raised panel doors most all with glass door knobs and solid brass plates. These were mid to late 1800 style.

There is a company in West Des Moines that specializes in the old furnishings. 4 floors of an old warehouse. Some of the asking price for door complete with knobs, keepers and both hinge parts is unreal. Even the old floor registrars.

That’s a nice find and in good shape. Did you get to keep it. I found some old embossed milk and medicine bottles on a job in the attic one time. My wife liked these since she has a nice collection of old bottles. Since I have been retired I really miss the excitement of demoing the older structures. You never know what is hidden or left behind. One if my biggest joys was not a find but a repurpose that made me a lot of money. I salvaged 72 raised panel doors most all with glass door knobs and solid brass plates. These were mid to late 1800 style.

I did get to keep the set. Interesting to build with, we made a windmill the first time we played with it.

Picked up a rough looking disk this week. Something that has been on the bucket list for a while. I think it will need some weight hung on it to get a better cut and to throw weight front on the tractor.
View attachment 46742
That’s a nice setup. I got a good deal on a Brinly two gang set. I had to put a cement block over each cultivator to get it to work good. I really like them.

Slide those leading gangs as close together as you can get them right next to touching. Back one in closer also. If not will have a wide gap where the dirt don't get turned and will have a green striped field/garden.

It’s nice to see somebody turning some dirt. It looks like it’s doing pretty good. Yeah some weight makes them dig in more. I use a double gang Brinly with two 18” cement blocks works great. I just dump the blocks near the garden for next time.
24C3814C-4236-4AE7-95D1-21E27ADC7A42.png

Back