Hoping to Build This Soon.

GlennD6N

Thanks, Glenn, that's what I was trying to describe.
Mike

That's actually a design for using 4 plates. I like that better than 2 angles ... because it burns in / welds all 4 corners of the axle.
It would also be better to make from plates .. a "Fill-In" of the original axle dimensions & weld it in to the axle ... before doing the long plate splice.

.AxleSplice2.jpg

Sawdust

Tractorologist
Now I'm on the same page! I won't be doing anything to the axle.
You mean we done all this axle surgery for nothing...just kidding. It was fun building your axle though. Everytime I see your stuff Kenny using sketch up makes me want to try it out. I've tried it twice to get an idea & liked it. My problem this whole winter I haven't been able to sit very long with so much to do. Keep us posted.

KennyP

Alice's Creator
Staff member
I went back to my 2D drawing program and drew up a plan.

Screen Shot 03-29-20 at 08.26 AM.JPG

Legend:

Tongue =3 X 4.5lb channel iron

Main Frame = 2 X 3 X 3/16 angle iron

Cross Supports = 2 X 2 X 1/4 angle iron

Top Rail = 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 X 1/8 angle iron

Still open to any and all suggestions. I have not added the rear support behind the tire as yet.

chieffan

Tractorologist
The 2 X 3 X 3/16 angle iron is to light for the main frame. I would use channel for the frame and cross braces. Your trailer, build it the way you want it.

KennyP

Alice's Creator
Staff member
The 2 X 3 X 3/16 angle iron is to light for the main frame. I would use channel for the frame and cross braces. Your trailer, build it the way you want it.
I have looked at numerous trailers like this and that is what most used.