Hoping to Build This Soon.

Now I'm on the same page! I won't be doing anything to the axle.
You mean we done all this axle surgery for nothing...just kidding. It was fun building your axle though. Everytime I see your stuff Kenny using sketch up makes me want to try it out. I've tried it twice to get an idea & liked it. My problem this whole winter I haven't been able to sit very long with so much to do. Keep us posted.

I went back to my 2D drawing program and drew up a plan.

Screen Shot 03-29-20 at 08.26 AM.JPG

Legend:

Tongue =3 X 4.5lb channel iron

Main Frame = 2 X 3 X 3/16 angle iron

Cross Supports = 2 X 2 X 1/4 angle iron

Top Rail = 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 X 1/8 angle iron

Still open to any and all suggestions. I have not added the rear support behind the tire as yet.

The 2 X 3 X 3/16 angle iron is to light for the main frame. I would use channel for the frame and cross braces. Your trailer, build it the way you want it.

Not sure if you have your spring shackles on yet but here's what I did on mine. I've had this converted boat trailer for over forty years. I was reluctant of welding the shackles directly to the frame. One reason was I wanted to be able to shift the axle assembly back & forth. Instead of welding the shackles to the frame I welded them to some 1/4" angle then through bolted them to the frame. Although I never had to move it I think it distributed the load better to the frame rather than to the points of the shackles.
20200422_201008.jpg20200422_201022.jpg

IMO as long as the top rails are incorporated the angle iron main frame will suffice. I would add a couple more top rail supports over the axle area. This free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!!
Mike

IMO as long as the top rails are incorporated the angle iron main frame will suffice. I would add a couple more top rail supports over the axle area. This free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!!
Mike
Those will be added after the axle is mounted and tires installed so I can see what clearance is there! Thought I stated that earlier.

Steel in on the 16' trailer, $282! All I need to finish is the safety chains, LED taillights, and floor (2X's). Now to find somewhere to build it.

Edit: I just ordered the brake controller for the Dodge.

Last edited:
After much searching the last few weeks, I finally found where my 7-pin trailer connector was hiding. I needed it as this trailer will have brakes. I got a short piece of trailer light wire and attached them according to the directions, then plugged it into the Dodge to verify correctness. It passed the test. One more thing accounted for.

Back