What are you currently working on??

Mine has the chart on it also. Just don't remember what the speed is. Got the ball joints and removal/install tool today so going to see if I get them in tomorrow.

Got spacers welded on, touched up the welded areas with silver paint and mounted the full-length skid. Might should buy a couple of 1-3/4" 1/2" NC bolts. The ones I had just have exactly a full nut grip. Suppose that should be ok.

DAC

DSCN2018.JPG

Buddy of mine asked of I could look at his brakes on his car, said he her metal sounds when braking. Of course I checked fronts first, thick pads. Get to back one side was very thin, last wheel I checked was metal to metal. Ended up with rear pads and a rotor.
Not much else going on as far as mechanic stuff. Still working at nephew's, got a little painting left, I have a 1/2 bath to update, some trim painting and a bunch of landscaping, but forecast of rain for next 2 weeks. I have more flooring in basement and painting of family room, but they are not getting rooms cleaned so I can't do anything.

I got the DA 916 started yesterday. Took the choke cable loose and the choke wouldn't move without some force so worked it a bit and it loosened up to where the cable would work it. Gave it a shot of carb cleaner and it fired and ran smooth but the carb is going to need cleaned. I need to get 2 flats fixed and it can be used for work.

Any of you ever clean the carb on one of these above the tank small engines? First one I've ever took apart, it still surges after cleaning. The little screw on the side helps very little (no needle, it has flat bottom and then 2 little holes on the side).
I guess I may take it apart and drop in the carb clean and let it soak.

20200317_183949.jpg
20200317_183958.jpg

Any of you ever clean the carb on one of these above the tank small engines? First one I've ever took apart, it still surges after cleaning. The little screw on the side helps very little (no needle, it has flat bottom and then 2 little holes on the side).
I guess I may take it apart and drop in the carb clean and let it soak.

View attachment 23539
View attachment 23540
Looks like a Briggs pulse-jet? You may have to take the carb off the tank and look at the pick up screens, and the little fuel pump diaphragm could be curled up or have holes. That's under that plate on the side in your first pic, Marty.

DAC

Looks like what I had on a wheeled string trimmer. Spring every year no start. Pulled off the air cleaner. Dumped some gas in the carb and it would start instantly. Burn the available and die. Dump in more gas and restart. Hand choke to keep it running for a while. Now use the throttle to rev to full speed. and while holding the throttle wide open choke until near dead. After doing this several times let it run as normal. If it surges rev and choke more and try again. Once it runs normal I am good for the season. Did this for 5 years.
Don

Looks like a Briggs pulse-jet? You may have to take the carb off the tank and look at the pick up screens, and the little fuel pump diaphragm could be curled up or have holes. That's under that plate on the side in your first pic, Marty.

DAC

I removed it from the engine and the tank, took everything apart and sprayed carb cleaner in all the ports. I did not remove the pump on the side, was afraid with my luck I would tear the gasket. Now I'm thinking I probably should most likely a port or screen in there that is clogged.
Doubt it sucking air through shaft bushings, this think doesnt look to have many hours in it.

Don it fires up fine, but constantly surges. There is a throttle, but it's rpm is based on the governor spring, it has a very low WOT in my opinion.
It's either got a clogged port still or sucking air from somewhere.

Got started on putting new lower ball joints on the Polaris Ranger only to find they sent the wrong one. Got the one for the Sportsman. Have to wait for the new parts to get hear before I take it apart any further. Will remove the calipers and put the new brake pads on.

Don it fires up fine, but constantly surges. There is a throttle, but it's rpm is based on the governor spring, it has a very low WOT in my opinion.
It's either got a clogged port still or sucking air from somewhere.
[/QUOTE]
Hand choking can sometimes suck enough gas through to flush out the carb. If you add some pull to that spring you can increase the rpm.
Don

Pulled the struts out of the Ranger this afternoon. Needs new ball joints and a CV joint cover on the left side. Had to get the blue wrench out to get the left A frame to let go. Waiting for parts now but will clean up the left side, get that stub axle off and ready for the boot.

20200319_153709.jpg 20200319_153745.jpg 20200319_153819.jpg

What size wire do you all use for smaller garden tractors for wiring up battery cables? I need custom ones made for the Predator 420 in my Sears, figured #8 might be enough for that motor, only has like a 2 to 3 amp charge system.

Back